Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017 One year No S Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just noticed that this thread has had more views than the etiquette thread that has been around for years. It can't just be us... Hello, lurkers!

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
vmsurbat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolala53 wrote:
I recognize you, too! I just like the zeitgeist, if I may use that term here. Lost all my weight since age 56 and more in the last six months.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, your story is definitely an encouragement!
oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one more: I still get a promo from Brad Pilon because he has an attitude that I like. Here is an excerpt from a recent email:

Have you ever noticed that people can find success with different types of diets?

Or that those exact same diets can easily fail other people?

This is because the diet itself may not actually matter.

Low Carb or High Carb, Paleo or Vegan… when it comes to weight loss it really doesn't matter.

What DOES matter is whether or not the diet changes your behavior for the better, that you create and follow rituals and that they have a positive impact on the mundane aspects of every day life.

After all, that's how diets work —> by impacting your every day life.

A diet that is too complex or does not create behavior change will not work, no matter how good the science is behind it.

If you want to lose weight or improve your health try to create rituals that positively impact the everyday part of your life - this is what will create lasting change.

Back to me: if your rituals are not getting you what you want, either adjust what you want or adjust the ritual. (First adjustment after the meal structure is what is on the plate or size of plate. I like a bigger plate and more veggie, less dense stuff myself.)

TWo-thirds of the way through April, and then we will be two-thirds of the way through 2017. Keep going!

vmsurbat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolala53 wrote:

If you want to lose weight or improve your health try to create rituals that positively impact the everyday part of your life - this is what will create lasting change.

Back to me: if your rituals are not getting you what you want, either adjust what you want or adjust the ritual. (First adjustment after the meal structure is what is on the plate or size of plate. I like a bigger plate and more veggie, less dense stuff myself.)

I like this idea of ritual. In my mind, I've been using the word habit but with food practices, I think ritual fits better. My current ritual that I'm trying to establish is to eat mindfully. The actual ritual is to put my fork/spoon/knife down after I've taken a bite (no pre-loading) until I'm done with the current bite.

This definitely helps me 1. Enjoy my meal more, and 2. Feel satisfied with the smaller quantity that I actually need (and not pine for more).

Thanks, Oolala, for the thought-provoking post!
oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adopted the habit of eating slowly (unless I was bingeing) even before No S. I think it's helped a lot. Sometimes I would feel slightly panicked at the beginning of the meal thinking it wouldn't be enough food, but after taking my time, it's usually plenty. I also make it a ritual to eat slowly even when I feel like I'm starving. OH, those bites taste good! And I feel like I get full even faster.

Merry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggieMae wrote:
AND just to make life a little crazier, my parents who have been married for 47 years separated last weekend. My mom moved out. We've been busy helping her move and adjust and they are driving me crazy. I would give anything if my husband worked for a company that had multiple locations so we could move far, far away. When did I become the adult and my parents become the children? I have so much anger and anxiety. I had to go to the doctor and get a new, stronger anti-anxiety medication. What parents cause their kids to go on medication just to deal with them!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Oh Maggie Mae, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know it's heartbreaking--praying for you.

1 year and counting!

23.5 lbs. down, 39.5 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.

"Believe conquering sweets is doable." - Oolala
noni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, vmsurbat! Missed you! It's always good to hear from another encouraging poster.
threewhales

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still here and kicking!!!
My Habitcal is looking green. WooHoo!
I too like the term ritual when thinking about what it is going to take for me to release pounds. This week, I have been trying to eat a rainbow at least three each day. I'm actually eating veggies. Yea! Go me:) my Habitcal is still my strongest motivator for keeping to the 3 plates a day habit.

Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.
~Albert Einstein
oolala53

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful to hear from you and to hear that it's going well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: