Bluebell's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:06 pm

A lesson learned, only bake at weekends! Glad to know its not just me. Something about that alchemy of butter sugar eggs and flour....
Thanks oolala :)

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:29 pm

I've not done so well this weekend. Too much indulgence in the S's and I'm sure I've gained a pound or two. In fact I shall delay my weekly weigh in for a week as I don't want to get discouraged. Back on it tomorrow.

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:54 am

Some weekends are like that. I hope you have a good week!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks Merry. On the whole my weeks are pretty good but last weekend in particular was out of control. Some S days are worse than others.
I have made a decision to cut out snacks at the weekend. When I feel I can snack, I lose all sense of moderation in my eating. Snacks = stuffing my face without any thought. So as of this coming weekend, snacks are out. I will allow myself seconds if I want them, and sweets if eaten straight after my meal. I think I need that discipline to act a stop.
I'll see how it goes.

Edit:
In fact I have just scrolled back to read oolala's comment:

"S days might be eating days for a long time. You'll either get over it with no effort or you'll get sick of it and use a mod. Still win win, IMHO"

So I guess I haven't got over it, and I am in fact now sick of it and have decided to use a mod! :D

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 pm

I can't do snacks on S days either!! Honestly I'd rather enjoy my bigger S day meals & sweets more than graze through my day. I enjoy the S events more that way :D

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 pm

Jen it has taken me a long time to realise that this is the way forward for me, its good to know that it works for you. Thanks for letting me know, it gives me confidence in my decision. I think I have been fighting the idea of feeling deprived at the weekends, but actually that out of control feeling is not a good one. So time to make changes :)

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 pm

Oh and today was success!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:43 pm

When you get that you really aren't getting much joy from the S, whatever it is, that's usually when you can comfortably implement a mod. (It doesn't usually work if it's out of panic to attempt to lose weight faster.) Sounds like you're there.

It was amazing how long it went on for me getting stunningly full but still hating even MORE the idea of cutting back. I would feel the same was as when I contemplated 1,200 (or fewer) calorie days. Nuts! Especially because I know I have days with that low of calories just because it's how it works out.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:23 pm

Oolala how do we manage to deceive ourselves so completely? Or not completely I guess, as there's always that small voice at the back of my mind telling me that what I'm doing doesn't feel right. Maybe its sheer stubborness and/or a fear of change.
I have certainly had many times in the past, when I have been mentally berating myself for failing yet another diet, and trying to persuade myself to get back on it, when the stubborn side has cried 'but I don't want to give up all that lovely food! Why should I? It brings me pleasure!' When in fact it does not bring me pleasure because I'm so busy cramming food into my face I don't actually stop to enjoy it. NoS has helped me stop. Stop cramming, have a pause, enjoy the next meal all the more.
Now to carry it over to weekends, I hope I can do it.
Today Tuesday 28th - success and my 5th month of NoS under my belt!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:16 am

But it DOES give us pleasure. It's supposed to. It's just that we're in positions to overdo it, and we weren't designed for that. Prefrontal cortex to the rescue!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Ah yes, over doing it is definitely where my pleasure ends and discomfort begins, I'm still learning where the line is!
Wednesday 1st March - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:30 pm

Thursday 2nd March - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:40 pm

A rather calorific plateful for dinner - takeaway curry, but nevertheless I followed the rules so - success.
Last edited by Bluebell on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:01 pm

OK so today was my first S day with no snacks. It has gone really well. I have definitely eaten some tasty meals, and have had sweets immediately after (chocolate wafer bar and homemade flapjack after lunch, apple strudel and cream after dinner) but because I have limited my eating to mealtimes only, I have not had the mindless snacking for the sake of it. It feels so much better to have an element of control whilst allowing myself more treats than I would in the week.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Another day of satisfying meals and no snacking. Treats today were croissants for breakfast, a chocolate bar at lunch (tasted meh to be honest) and a piece of homemade apple cake for dessert after dinner. So probably quite high in calories but I feel content that I have enjoyed my treats at mealtimes, as opposed to overfull and disappointed in myself for too much snacking.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Monday 6th - success

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Congratulations. You are doing great. I like your idea of ending an S Day meal with your one serving of dessert instead of allowing it to be a snack. I plan to incorporate that idea next weekend.

You may not be aware of this, but Bluebell Ice Cream is a Texas dairy brand of ice cream which has moved into a few more southern states. I am sure it is responsible for many extra pounds. No one ever eats a serving size. The Southern tradition of a big bowl of ice cream in the evening on the front porch runs deep.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:35 am

That's funny TexArk! :lol: Bluebell ice cream sounds like the opposite of NoS!
Thanks for commenting on my S days. I really felt positive after the weekend that I could achieve a degree of control on S days and still feel that I hadn't been deprived. But I'm not sure I would have been ready for the mod until now, its taken 5 months to work it out!
Incidentally I am having Invisalign braces fitted at the beginning of next month and will only be able to eat at mealtimes, so at least I'm getting prepared!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:35 pm

Tues 7th - success. I have felt somewhat emotionally wobbly today and at the back of my mind a voice was telling me to comfort myself with food. Luckily I managed to ignore it! I know its not the answer but sometimes I still want to just, well, eat. For the sake of eating. I have made progress in recognising that it won't help in the long run, but some days are just harder than others.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:28 pm

Wednesday 8th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Thursday 9th - success
Feeling lousy with my time of the month, crampy and bloated tummy, no sugar cravings though for some reason so that's a bonus. I'm so done with this, I have no further need for my reproductive system, my baby making days are well and truly over! Tucked up in bed with a hot water bottle. Roll on the weekend.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Friday 10th - success

nettee

Post by nettee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:34 am

Well done on a great week despite the time of the month- pmt always makes things harder. Your S day mod sounds really helpful - good luck with the weekend.
3 tasty meals a day and loving it

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks nettee&#128578;
I am feeling better today, and have eaten reasonably sensibly. We went out for dinner to this very cool restaurant where you are served your food on a hot stone and you cook it to your liking! Shared a steak and prawns with my husband and had to leave some chips as it was so filling. Ordered dessert but again only ate about a third, it was huge! This really is progress for me, I would have never ever left food on my plate when eating out (or ever!)
:lol:
Have managed not to snack today. So although I have probably had quite a few calories I have felt in control.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:29 am

Good job on not cleaning your plate. I don't know if you were taught that in the UK, but many of us were told to clean our plates when we were little. It was wasteful otherwise. Of course that was never a problem with dessert. It is a real victory to leave some behind instead of scraping off the last bit! Way to go!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:34 am

I wasn't told to clear my plate, but my mum very much showed her love by providing huge amounts of food, and still does bless her. We were definitely encouraged to eat large and varied amounts of food. So choosing to cut back doesn't come naturally for me, although it feels very good to be learning how do it in my 40s! :)

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:45 pm

Sunday - no snacks, enjoyed my meals, had one square of dark chocolate after lunch and apple crumble and cream for dessert after dinner. I always seem to have an apple based dessert on a Sunday :lol:
That's 2 weekends under my belt with no snacking, it feels great. In fact it just feels normal, and that's what makes it feel great!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Monday 13th - success
Weight loss seems to have stalled. However, I am not prepared to make any major changes to my meals, they are generally healthy and well balanced, and right now I still need to know that I can have those three platefuls. My S day mod of no snacks is also going well and I need to give that more time.
I am very wary of triggering my diet head, I know where it will end and I am determined to stick with NoS. Never before have I known such a lack of mental debate around food. So for now that sanity is more important than what the scales say, and in fact maintenance is something of an achievement in itself. Onwards!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 pm

I believe a period of lack of debate is a possible foundation for little experiments later. They can go smoothly or not, but down deep, you'll know where the North Star is.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:29 pm

I like the idea of knowing where the North Star is &#11088;&#65039; :)
Tuesday 14th - success

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Smart thinking not to trigger the old diet head and measure success by weight loss. Thinking of all those times I have looked at a calendar and set goals and tried to see when I would be at a certain weight if I lost such and such per week. Ugh! I will say that getting the 3 plates down and S Days under control first is crucial, then make slight adjustments within those boundaries. I will be at that point soon.

I know I need to make my plates less calorific and dense. You know how I know? I am not even hungry for the next meal. This morning I wasn't even hungry for breakfast and was busy and didn't eat lunch until about 1:30...and it was a light lunch. None of this was on purpose, but it tells me, "Duh, you are packing too much into each meal. You should be hungry at mealtime." But I am coming back to NoS after a long period of calorie counting and deprivation plans (again) and I needed to get the habit back in place. It is coming quicker for me this time since I have been at this a long time.

Hang in there this week. I enjoy reading your posts.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for your comments TexArk :)
I completely get what you're saying about weight loss, so easy to get caught up in that trap. It may interest you to know that my biggest weight loss was with a Rosemary Conley class back in 2008, I lost almost 5 stone (70 pounds), was slimmer of the year, blah blah. Do you know what? I was obsessed with that diet. Checking lables, counting calories, agonising over whether I should or should not eat something. Stepping on the scales all the time, checking whether I'd lost half a pound. Also I was not eating enough and became light headed at times. It came at a crossroads in my life and I guess I focussed on it so intently because it filled a gap. Of course, no way was it sustainable, and I know I can't be that person again. And the alternative up until now has been yoyoing between strict dieting and eating mindlessly, hating myself for doing so. That's why I need to plod on with this. It is the better option (the only option) for me.

It seems to me that you are almost in recovery if you have recently been calorie counting for some time. You need some time, as you say, to get the habits down. Maybe you have that inner rebel in you, that just wants to eat decent food! I recognise it in myself at any rate. I wish you good luck, give it time, let yourself eat what you feel you need for now, just stick to the NoS rules.
As oolala so wisely said, you'll know where the North Star &#11088;&#65039; is.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:41 pm

PS Oolala I have pinched your quote for my signature, I hooe you don't mind but please say if you do and I'll take it off :)
"You'll know where the North Star is &#11088;&#65039;" - Oolala

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Don't mind at all. Not sure anyone else will know what it means, but that probably makes it even better.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:41 pm

oolala53 wrote:Don't mind at all. Not sure anyone else will know what it means, but that probably makes it even better.
Thank you! And probably true :)
Today - success.
Went out for dinner with friends and shared a starter but managed to compensate by leaving some of my main. So a bit of virtual plating but reasonably confident I got it right.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Thursday 16th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Friday 17th - success
Lunch out today (I don't usually eat out so frequently!) It was turkish, I had some delicious hoummus and flatbread, and some lamb with rice and salad. It all fit on a medium plate, and was really healthy and yummy. Sandwich and fruit for tea.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:31 pm

I have had a good weekend food wise, yesterday was my son's birthday party, I resisted most of the party food and managed to stick to no snacks. I did have two glasses of wine in the evening though, I felt in need!
Today I have eaten nice filling meals, with seconds and sweets at lunch time. I had a few mini cake bites and some banana loaf. Didn't fancy any sweets after dinner.
I feel much better about my weekends with my no snacks mod.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 pm

The scales have finally shifted, I am 2lb down making a loss of a stone (14lb) in total. This has taken me 24 weeks and I'm completely fine with that, because I have at long last found a way of eating that is sustainable for life. I have a way to go, probably around another 18lb to be at a good weight for my age and height, but I am confident that it will come off in time. More importantly I have made changes which I know are for the long term. I am even starting to be a bit kinder to myself, an unexpected but very welcome side effect!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Yay! You're doing great and good for you for being patient with the scales. I find that things really backfire on me whenever I try to rush the process. You will get there and in the meantime you get to enjoy all the other rewards that come with NoS.

Btw, I don't think I've ever shown a loss on a Monday. I usually wait till Friday to record my weight.

Keep up the great work & have a great week!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Thank you Linda :)
I like the idea of enjoying all the other rewards that come with NoS. There are so many besides weight loss!
I don't really know why I weigh on a Monday other than habit, but I do wonder if a Friday weight would 'stick' through the weekend! In fact I weigh myself most days and find it interesting to see how it fluctuates, the difference with NoS is it doesn't send me into a panic if I gain a little or maintain.
Monday 20th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Tuesday 21st - success. Bit of virtual plating today as we had a buffet lunch provided at work (a very rare occurrence!) but it was fine. I really missed my usual yoghurt and fruit though! Buffet food has lost its appeal over the last few months.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:45 pm

Weds 22nd - success
Bit worried about tomorrow, I have friends round for dinner tomorrow, we won't be eating until 8pm ish, I usually have my dinner with the kids at 5.30/6pm ish. No idea how I'm going to last that long! And no chance for a later lunch as I work all day tomorrow and lunch break is 12 midday. Ah well a test of willpower and resolve I guess!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Well I survived from 12.30-8.30pm without eating, quite pleased with myself! To be honest it doesn't suit me to eat so late, but was so nice to catch up with my good friends and its only once in a blue moon. They had crisps before dinner which I somehow managed to resist, and I had deliberately bought two individual puddings so not one for me.
One thing I find quite tricky when eating socially is that I don't want to look greedy filling my plate. Of course others are quite happy to go back for seconds but I don't really want to be explaining my eating habits during a lovely sociable evening. Ah well only a minor niggle.
Today - success! Tomorrow I have marked as a special day - my son's 13th birthday. :)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:02 am

Congratulations! That was quite an accomplishment. I have found that I have my worst temptation right after a big success. I will maneuver my way through minefields and then the next day a disaster! I am not sure why that is true for me, and this is probably not your pattern; nevertheless, I am glad you have a real S Day to lighten up a little after a big success.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:18 am

Bluebell wrote:The scales have finally shifted, I am 2lb down making a loss of a stone (14lb) in total. This has taken me 24 weeks and I'm completely fine with that, because I have at long last found a way of eating that is sustainable for life. I have a way to go, probably around another 18lb to be at a good weight for my age and height, but I am confident that it will come off in time. More importantly I have made changes which I know are for the long term. I am even starting to be a bit kinder to myself, an unexpected but very welcome side effect!
Outstanding on the weight loss!
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks whoson first :)
Texark funny you should say that, yesterday definitely ended up as an over indulgence day! We had takeout pizza for dinner followed by a very sweet homemade birthday cake, boy did I feel stuffed going to bed!
Today I am planning to do my usual no snacks. We have family for dinner and I'm making chilli with lots of salad and rice so fairly healthy. I'll probably have a glass or two of wine but my husband is working away and I don't like to feel too out of control with alcohol when I'm being a sole parent. That's probably a good thing though!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 pm

Busy weekend, I think my eating has been pretty well controlled, I haven't stuck 100% to no snacks but I have managed to avoid mindless eating. My husband arranged for flowers and a hamper to be delivered for mothers day, and had sorted out cards for the boys to give to me, so even though he's not here I do feel spoiled. The contents of the hamper will have to be rationed to weekends so should last a while! Been busy with keeping the boys occupied, entertaining, cleaning, and all the other usual chores, so I am ready for a good night's sleep.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Posting after lunch as I am feeling particularly rebellious today. Wonder if its normal, after almost 6 months, to want to break all the rules and eat recklessly? Nothing to do with logical thought, I am well aware of and grateful for all the wonderful changes NoS has brought me. I have experienced similar thoughts on every other diet and have always given in to them eventually, hence the years of yoyo dieting. But thought I'd got away with it this time. I don't like what my mind is doing!
I have treated myself to a delicious shop bought salad, wholemeal roll and yoghurt to try and quell the urges, feel a little calmer now.
I really hope I can ride this out.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Well I survived. Success. I guess each time I manage to stay strong I am building up my willpower. I sure hope so anyway. And just when I'd posted the other day about the lack of mental debate and how freeing it was....

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 pm

You're getting it. (Not to scare you- I wonder if it bugs Reinhard that I tell people this?- but these little periods can recur for a few years, very likely as the body resists the new set point. And even those who've maintained for five years still have a 25% relapse rate. I hope that just makes you more determined.)

The author of Brain Over Binge, who stopped bingeing literally over night, said it took about nine months with NO failures to have all hints of the urge to binge reside. And she didn't have to lose any weight, so she didn't have that to contend with. She called the urge "neurological junk" and thought it deserved no attention. She didn't wonder why she had it or get mad at herself for having it occur to her. Just recognize it for what it was, and get back to her day.

That's the part I have trouble with. I guess we can't all finish school, find love and have a family, like she did. But I don't eat instead!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:31 am

Thank you so much oolala. I can't tell you how much your words of reassurance mean to me. It really helps to know these feelings are 'normal' for lots of people. (There was a sneaky suspicion st the back of my mind that it was just me, that somehow my brain was wired wrong!! :lol:)

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Tuesday 28th - success. I have found it so helpful reading through other people's check ins and general posts. I am feeling stronger today, I definitely have a stubborn streak so I need to put it to good use with my eating.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:36 am

That's a good use of stubbornness. Stubborn moderation.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Stubborn moderation - I like it! I think I can be good at that.
Wednesday 29th - success (with a large ish plate for dinner).

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Thursday 30th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:21 pm

Friday 31st - success! Yay, a green month :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:04 pm

Terrific!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks :) Feeling positive after my little blip earlier in the week. Today my S treats were a slice of homemade banana loaf, and a slice of cheesecake which my son baked in the week. I made him and my other son promise to leave me a slice for the weekend, which they did! They're good boys really...
Dinner at my mum and dads this evening which can be a challenge as the table is always really full of food. I had steak and chips with salad, onion rings and garlic bread, I guess that could have been better. On the plus side I did not have dessert due to my earlier sweets, and only one glass of wine.
I am feeling tired as husband still working away, it's exhausting balancing work/home but I'm plodding on and trying my best not to use food as a crutch.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:33 pm

So many cultures have loaded tables, especially of starches. I read a blog this week of a woman who moved to Calabria (I'm pretty sure this is the one I'm thinking of.) She said the local people rarely have bread and pasta or any other starch at the same meal. I was surprised. And I think I read one from France on which the author said bread at a meal was equivalent to four thin slices of a thin-nish baguette, not the big loaves we in the States are used to.

I think the actual calorie ingestion of slim cultures is a lot lower than we think. I found out that a lot of the stated figures are based on the available food supply in a country, not on actually measuring and averaging what people swallow.

BUT, I'm a big believe in weaning, not aiming at where we are going to end up way soon.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Yes oolala you are right (as always! :D) and thinking about it, in the week I would only have one type of carb. Pasta, or rice, or potatoes, never bread as an extra. At the weekends, especially if I'm eating out, it can spill over into too many carbs. I know because it makes me feel sleepy and sluggish. I have just cut out snacks at the weekends which is working really well, next step I guess is to think about cutting out multiple carbs.
Today has been .... eventful! Lots of different things going on. But my eating has been OK. Not great but not awful.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Your estimation means most, but from here it looks like you are right on track.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Monday 3rd - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Tuesday 4th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:29 pm

Weds 5th and Thurs 6th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Oh dear this evening is a definite 'mark it and move on'
At the end of a busy stressful and tiring week I gave in to emotional eating. Some chocolate mini eggs, a biscuit and two packets of crisps, before and after a supper of cheese and crackers. Not proud of myself, I haven't given in to those urges to be reckless for a while now. Something just went click in my head, or rather I flicked the switch.
I have a short break to Spain coming up and I must not give in to 'what the heck' for April (a rather large part of me would like to do just that).

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:50 am

Yesterday was an eating day. So failure in the sense that I didn't manage my no snack mods. So two fails in a row. Aiming for no snacks today and to try and get some control back.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Monday 10th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:31 am

Tuesday 11th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Weds 12th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Thurs 13th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Fri 14th - success
Very proud of my son today, its his 8th birthday and he was in a show this evening, his choice to do it even though it fell on his birthday. He still seems so young and yet he's growing up...nothing to do with food really, I just feel blessed and in a good place right now :)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:04 am

That is awesome. Very cool :) Sounds like you have a delightful kid.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks NoelFigart, I appreciate your kind reply :)
Today my treats have been birthday cake, which I ate after lunch rather than mid morning with the rest of the family, and a Chinese takeaway for dinner, youngest son's request for his birthday meal. A day late as he was in his show yesterday evening and helpful for me as I could have treats on a Saturday!
I do feel full this evening but I enjoyed my meal.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:55 am

Aw! So glad things are good :)

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:17 am

Hi Bluebell, how great that it worked out that you could enjoy your son's birthday meal without guilt (of course you still could have had one plate without guilt on an N day but an S day is definitely better for that)

I couldn't help dropping in to say hi when I saw your location. I spend a lot of time, and in fact every Christmas in Hampshire as that's where my husband is from and where my in-laws still live. It's a small world :D
I CAN do this.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks Larkspur &#128522; Hi Skycat, a small world indeed! We love living in this part of England, we can get to the coast in half an hour, and can also get to London on the train in an hour. Lovely walks from our doorstep. Its a great place to bring up a family!

Today has been a super family day, we've just bought a campervan and had a trip out today. We all have far too much Easter chocolate and I have eaten some, but have rationed myself! Actually it all tastes rather sickly this year which is a first. Homemade apple crumble and cream was my other S day treat.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Well today I really really want to give up on April. Going away tomorrow for 3 nights to Spain with my boys to see my husband who is working there. There's a ton of Easter chocolate in the house and my brain is in holiday mode. However I am instead posting here, drinking a glass of wine and trying to chill.
I think I will take two special days for Weds and Thurs and try and stay on track the rest of the week. The connection with holidays and eating whatever the hell I want is very strong. And hard to fight.
Time to finish my wine and put my braces back in, that'll stop me eating at least!

Edit. Success - just. I am not particularly proud of what went on my plates today, but I did at least manage to stick to plan.

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:22 am

Well done for that success, it's the sticking to plan on the difficult days we should be particularly proud of. Wishing you luck for the rest of April, you can do it and enjoy your break with your two S days.

Remember with this plan, it doesn't matter what is on the plate. One plate,the times a day no matter what is on that plate.
I CAN do this.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Skycat wrote:Well done for that success, it's the sticking to plan on the difficult days we should be particularly proud of. Wishing you luck for the rest of April, you can do it and enjoy your break with your two S days.

Remember with this plan, it doesn't matter what is on the plate. One plate,the times a day no matter what is on that plate.
Thank you Skycat I really appreciate your words of support. You are of course quite right, I did manage to stick to plan yesterday which sometimes is an achievement in itself!
Today was better than expected. I had my three meals, breakfast as usual at home, lunch on the aeroplane and dinner was a beautiful meal of freshly cooked sea bass with a few chips and lots of salad, plus two glasses of local white wine. We ate at a bar right by the beach. So happy to spend time with my wonderful husband and sons, and actually pleased with myself for following NoS on holiday. Who knew? :D
Tomorrow and Thursday I have marked as S days but still no snacking, just hoping to enjoy some sweets and seconds if it seems appropriate.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Wow. The Spanish in this part of Spain certainly know how to have long meals with many courses! Taken out for 'lunch' today with several of my husband's colleagues, it started at 2.30pm and ended at 5.30pm. Just when we thought we were full from all the plates of meats, cheese, potatoes, octopus, bread...out came the main course! A huge plate of pork and roast potatoes. I just couldn't eat much of the main course, having filled up on the starters, and just had a little to try and be polite. Of course this was a special meal but even so...
Sitting at a cafe I have seen many overweight people walk past, which surprised me, but actually having seen the variety and quantities of food on offer, I guess it is part of the culture. It made me realise that my usual portions are much more realistic and appropriate.
I have enjoyed my S days but will be relieved to be back on plan tomorrow.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Today - success, a relief to be back on track, even though I had breakfast in the hotel, lunch at the airport and supper back at home, I stuck to 3 plates and no Ss.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:35 am

Wow that's a lot of food! How fun though! Enjoy!!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:03 am

It is so motivating to hear of you following No S while on holiday, I hope to be able to do the same (although I don't have a holiday for a while :D )
I CAN do this.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Thank you for your comments :) I feel that I conquered the 'must eat everything in sight while I'm on holiday ' mindset, somewhat at least. Before I went I posted that I felt like giving up on April. This was definitely because I had my upcoming holiday in mind. Feels good to have made some progress with that.
Back to normal routine today, success.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Tuesday 25th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Weds and Thurs - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Friday - success
I have now lost 18lb with NoS and am close to saying goodbye to having 12st at the beginning of my weight! That hasn't been the case for a long time. Reflecting on some of the struggles I have been through, I am so pleased that I have managed to stick to this for so long, this is now officially the longest I have ever followed any eating plan! And that's because it is so realistic and doable. I feel that each time I've wanted to rebel, I've managed to come back that little bit stronger, and that has been a game changer for me. Yes the weight loss has been slow, but if I hadn't started it 7 months ago, I wouldn't be 18lb lighter today, I'd most likely be even heavier.
I said right at the beginning of starting NoS that it could be life changing, and it has proved to be so. :)

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon May 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Today - success. Had to remind myself that it is a NoS day as its Bank Holiday Monday here in the UK - for a moment I almost tucked into the apple strudel I served for dessert. Managed to stop myself but have treated myself to one glass of wine this evening.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:28 pm

I don't know how I went so long not seeing your updates. I was scrolling down and saw a rough patch about halfway through April when you were saying you wanted to give up on this month. Then you went on to a brilliant run!

I'm surprised about your seeing the heavy people as I had read that Spaniards are pretty slim despite eating dinner so late. I wonder if it was tourists you saw...

But it's also possible their big meal is during the day and the reason they eat so late at night is because they don't need anything before then and don't end up having full dinners anyway.

Let's all have a nice, moderate May.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue May 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi oolala&#128522; I think I needed to get over that holiday hump. Every single holiday I have ever been on has involved eating and drinking to excess. Often preceeded by a period of dieting so that I could supposedly look better on holiday, and also to legitimise the following binge. Madness really but a hard cycle to break.
So even though this was only 3 nights away it was kind of a biggie for me. I feel much more confident having conquered that demon once, that my next holiday will be less of a problem.
The heavy people were almost certainly Spaniards! But I suppose it could be specific to that part of the country (Cadiz). Mealtimes were as you say much later, lunch at 2.30pm ish and dinner 9pm ish. We have usually finished dinner by 6pm! Really interesting to see a different culture, they enjoyed long leisurely drawn out meals, rather lovely if you make the time!
Today - success.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 pm

It's not a very popular message but I'm fond of thinking that we will likely always have problems as long as we cling to the idea that the best way to have a good time is through excessive intake. It worked when scarcity moderated it. But it isn't pleasant to shame ourselves into it.better if we can conjure curiosity, reflection, maybe even amusement.

Ya done good!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Wed May 03, 2017 4:49 am

Bluebell wrote:Today - success. Had to remind myself that it is a NoS day as its Bank Holiday Monday here in the UK - for a moment I almost tucked into the apple strudel I served for dessert. Managed to stop myself but have treated myself to one glass of wine this evening.
THIS!! Me too, I struggled so much on Monday because it felt so much like a Sunday. Always nice to remember you're not the only one, I was so glad to read this, and glad also that you were successful!
I CAN do this.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed May 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Skycat wrote:
Bluebell wrote:Today - success. Had to remind myself that it is a NoS day as its Bank Holiday Monday here in the UK - for a moment I almost tucked into the apple strudel I served for dessert. Managed to stop myself but have treated myself to one glass of wine this evening.
THIS!! Me too, I struggled so much on Monday because it felt so much like a Sunday. Always nice to remember you're not the only one, I was so glad to read this, and glad also that you were successful!
Hi Skycat, you were not alone in your struggles! I find I plod along nicely when I'm in routne but it doesn't take much to throw me! I hope you were also successful. I am finding that each time I face my demons and manage to somehow survive, I feel just that little bit stronger.
Today - success.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu May 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Thurs 4th - success

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun May 07, 2017 6:59 pm

I have had a nice weekend, despite my husband still being away, I cannot wait for him to come home next Sunday evening. We went to the beach in our new campervan today, this was a real achievement for me as I was the one driving and making everything work. We had a great time, I cooked sausages and bacon for lunch, I really enjoyed my meal outside. Somehow it all tastes better in the fresh air!
Treats today have been homemade banana loaf, hot cross bun and some easter chocolate. I feel full and satisfied.

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Mon May 08, 2017 6:43 am

Your al fresco lunch sounds great, I wish Summer would hurry up and come here, the weather is dismal for May. You've done well still having Easter chocolate so many weeks later :D

I did have a success on that day, but I needed to use my mod which I allow myself but don't often use, of allowing fresh fruit as a snack. I avoid it but don't count it as a fail, needed it both morning and afternoon that day.
I CAN do this.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon May 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Skycat it is still quite chilly here, we just wrapped up warm and went ahead anyway! I agree, a bit of sunshine would be very welcome here in the UK too. Easter chocolate hasn't been so tempting for me this year, I am enjoying it in small doses but haven't come anywhere near the bingeing of previous years.
Today I am counting as an S day, mother in laws 80th birthday celebrations. I had seconds, and some birthday cake, and a glass of fizz, very nice too! Back to normal tomorrow, I am so glad I now have a normal to return to!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue May 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Today - success, although I had a rather stressful day and indulged in a calorific dinner. Lasagne (homemade) coleslaw, salad, olives and feta. It all fit on one plate though!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed May 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Today - success