Help-2weeks and putting weight on!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hulahoop

Help-2weeks and putting weight on!

Post by Hulahoop » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:11 am

Hi I'm new to this and close to trying something else already. I love the reader of the rules and I'm sticking to them but I started at 64.2kg.... And after 2 weeks I'm at 64.6 😞 I'm walking 10.000 steps a day exercising at least 20 minutes a day, I feel better and less bloat but the scales are going there wrong way and I'm starting to panic 😳😳😳 I really don't want to count laborious calories... Help! Any ideas?

nettee

Post by nettee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:49 am

Hello - what height are you? Your weight is not that high which would make the loss harder. What was your diet before? If it was quite strict then you could just be adjusting. Are there any hormonal reasons for a bit of gain?

Is there anything you can do about your usual meals to make them healthier?

This diet is so freeing that it would be a shame to give up without tweaking and keeping going for a bit. Good luck.
3 tasty meals a day and loving it

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:54 am

2 weeks is way too soon to say anything about noS "(not)working" in the sense of weight loss... especially if you "gained" 400grams...
not feeling bloated is already great and your digestive system must be thanking you...
i am the proof that noS works even for low bmi (although that is not "promised" by noS) if that is what you are aiming for... give yourself time to adjust...
and you have already good moving and exercising habits...

btw. LOVE your name... are you hulahooping, too?
i am now doing it much less but used to do it for years and was even performing with firehoop... and poi, firewings, palmtorches... and teaching it to the children in the school im working in...
Last edited by kaalii on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi Hulahoop!

Welcome to the NoS boards! :)

It's great that you noticed the weight gain now; it gives you plenty of time to make adjustments before deciding that NoS isn't a good fit.

While I'm with you on not wanting to laboriously count calories, it's helpful to be calorically aware, and make peace with the fact that weight loss is all about burning more calories than you consume. That doesn't mean your life has to turn into obsessively weighing and measuring food, but it's good to keep that in mind on any eating plan you're utilizing for weight/fat loss (if that is your main goal), including NoS.

If you've gained weight, perhaps look into the quantity of food on your plates. Cut back a little on the volume and see if that affects the scale. Also, be aware of calorically dense food and maybe replace it with veggies that can keep the plate volume the same, but naturally reduce the caloric content.

I agree with others not to give up on NoS just yet--make some adjustments to your eating first, and see if that works. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:34 am

Weight can easily go up or down a couple of pounds without being true weight gain or loss, just with water retention. Hormonal cycles can also cause fluctuations.

If you only weigh weekly (or if now is the first time you weighed since starting), then you really don't have enough information to know if it's working or not. If you want to weigh less often, take a reading each day for several days and average them to get a feel for where you really are.

I weigh daily and notice lots of fluctuations up and down. I generally stay close to the same weight for two weeks of the month, and will lose slowly during the other two weeks, but on any given day it might jump up or down a couple of pounds. Weighing daily gives me a lot more information to understand those fluctuations, because I can often make direct links between eating patterns and other behaviors or life circumstances and the gains or losses. That helps me to know what's more likely a "real" gain or loss and what's a fluctuation.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

nettee

Post by nettee » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:31 am

Another thought - is the exercise New? I always gain a little bit if I increase my exercise. I think is is to go with a bit of fluid retention to repair muscles that are not used to it.

My weight varies up and down by up to 4 lb within a week. It can be hard to spot the trends over a very short period.
3 tasty meals a day and loving it

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:07 pm

You don't say how tall you are, but I'll say upfront that No S is a plan focused on moderation. It is not likely to make you super lean, nor do so quickly.

I've been here 4.5 years and I'm around BMI 20, but that's partly because I have the smallest frame size for my height. I weigh daily and calculate a trend and I can tell you my daily weights fluctuate up and down by around 1kg, much more than the 0.25 - 0.5kg that I lost each week before maintaining. So a change of 400g is not a cause for panic.

You don't have to count calories. I'm a reformed calorie counter who has never counted a single calorie or gram on No S - if it doesn't suit you don't do it.

I would instead ask yourself the question: Am I eating moderately? For example, do I arrive at each meal time pleasantly hungry? If you are currently eating (and drinking) and exercising moderately, then perhaps just stick with it for a few more weeks. Once you feel you are firm with your habits and green N days are the norm, you can decide what (if anything) you want to tweak - eg content of your plates or a change to your exercise levels. Or, if you feel well and happy, leave it alone :-)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:30 pm

No S cannot make any promises about weight loss, especially predictable weight loss. There is no guarantee that any two people will lose in the same way at all nor get to the same BMI. Bodies do adjust over time.

We try not to get too into nutrition issues here but I'd say the adjustments to what's on the plate that seem to make a difference over time for me are less dense food on the plate, and reducing refined carbs while upping non-starchy vegetables.

In the early years, it seemed to be important that I got legitimately hungry for meals an hour or two beforehand, so I learned to adjust what I had at the meals so that I would.

But why not give it another couple of weeks before trying to do much? I know when your intent is to lose weight you want it gone yesterday, but when has that worked? See if you can throw yourself into other pursuits in between your three wonderful meals, ones that have nothing to do with weight loss.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)