No sweets

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Rubyruby

No sweets

Post by Rubyruby » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Apologies in advance if this should be obvious...

Does the no sweets include honey?

I want to put a bit on my breakfast in the morning...but this comes under the made entirely of sugar category? So should be banned?!?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:10 am

Reinhard's definition of "sweets" has always been "something whose principal source of calories is sugar". If a teaspoon of sugar in a coffee is fine, then a teaspoon of honey on your porridge is fine. It's not "made entirely from sugar" if the honey is on top of a bowl of oats. If you're eating the honey straight from the spoon, well, sure...

Another simple test he suggests is "would you eat this for dessert?".

For these borderline foods, everyone will draw their line at a different place - if you find you are ladling on several tablespoons of sugar and honey, and doing it every day, you might decide to make that an S.

In general when you first start, I'd say worry about the main rules - not eating between meals, only eating one plate, and staying away from obvious sweets like cookies, candies, puddings, cakes, etc. Once you've got those habits sorted out, and you are finding them second nature, then you can decide whether you're happy where you are, or whether you want to go after those "1%" items.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:20 am

Agreed.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Rubyruby

Post by Rubyruby » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:53 am

Thank you both for getting back to me. That makes it much clearer!

This "diet" really is just about common sense!