Randomness

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dandelion

Randomness

Post by Dandelion » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:46 am

Dandelions. Just when you thought you saw the last of them, up one pops again.

I'm not even going to pretend this check-in is going to be a daily thing. It might be. For a while. But then probably not.

More later when my battery isn't about to die :)

8) 8)
Last edited by Dandelion on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:36 am

Welcome! LOL about the dandelions!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:07 am

So, yeah. I'm back. Mostly. I just had this moment the other day - maybe more of a collection of moments over the last year or so. I'm just so tired of all of it. I'm tired of feeling like I'm 'less' because there's more of me. Of the stupid things that leads me to do. I don't even want to say what my latest stupidity was. The only good thing about it was that it started me thinking about what I could do that was peaceful and positive, you know....like NoS.

Oh, yeah. NoS....

Or at least a version of it. I said somewhere else, that even when I walked the vanilla way I didn't have great success losing. All these years later I'm not likely to suddenly become super successful. I may not lose anything. But right now I settle for just not being a crazy person.

My favorite 'S' is no snacking. I don't even like the word. I don't officially 'snack' and have not in years. However, in the past few days I've started to notice how often I unconsciously pick something up and eat it. Too many. I want to stop that.

No seconds is tougher. I never did get very good at this one. I tend to eat what's on my plate, whether I want it or not. The no seconds rule sometimes backfires on me because of this. I think it will be a fuzzy area for a while, but it will improve.

No sweets is interesting. I remember when I started NoS years ago, we had sweets pretty much every weekend. Something special. These days 'sweets' is an occasional cup of hot chocolate - and I only do that about once or twice a month. I just no longer have the time, energy or interest.

Two out of three seem like they'll fall into line once I start paying attention more. The third one will definitely take more time and effort, and of course, I have to not 'lose it' on the S days.

I know there's more to it than this. This is enough for now
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Last week wasn't entirely stellar. No dismal failures, but not success either. Except today, of course :wink: :wink:

I'm starting an emoji habitcal like I saw on Allison's thread cuz I like the idea and I'm going to remember to make myself not forget to pay attention next week.

8) 8)

noni

Post by noni » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Love your signature, Dandelion!
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks, Noni. I was thinking of changing it for a new check-in thread, but decided there was really no way to improve on it :)

I don't seem to be living up to it this week, though. I may need to tweak my goals a bit so they suit me better.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:12 am

This is tougher than I remember, and I don't even like snacking, (overly)sweet things and eating large amounts. I find I eat when I don't need anything - or sometimes when I don't even care about what it is I'm eating. But then, when I get that feeling that means I really do *need* to eat, I start second guessing myself. Methinks I have it all backwards.

I've managed to get a few things right though. We had great weather so I got out for some walks in the sunshine. I did a lot of yard work this weekend, too.

My goal for the next week is to to keep doing what I'm doing that's right - and flip the script on the mindless eating

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Looks like I gained a pound in February. Not exactly what I had in mind. There seem to be a lot of mind games going on in my head right now which may be at play. I don't know, but it's definitely been a February slump. Hoping. No, planning on a better March.