New and nervous about S days.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Toothfairy29

New and nervous about S days.

Post by Toothfairy29 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Hello all. I've come to this site a few times over the last few months and have just re read the book. Like most of you I've a 20 year history of various diets and eating plans and my latest failed attempt was sugar free!
I really like the sound of the No S diet. It makes a lot of sense but I'm really nervous about the S days. It's very hard to get your head out of the diet mentality especially after I've spent the last year brain washing myself that sugar is the problem whilst craving it then giving in and having a binge!

I just wondered if you've any advice at this stage? How did you cope with S days and the diet mentality? It's hard to believe but also totally believable that this could be the secret to a normal body weight for me.

Thanks in advance

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Toothfairy

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend reading the all time favorite discussions in the sticky of stickies, especially KCCC's stages of NoS.

I think we might as well learn from other's experiences. There's good stuff out there to read and it is also helpful to reread especially in moments of weakness or frustration.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Consider also browsing other threads, such as "new and have a question," but by scrolling down, for this idea. It's a common worry, but a premature one.

In fact, I would say one of the biggest obstacles to making No S work is not being willing to have S days be overboard for awhile. If you go into this thinking it's going to automatically make you be moderate on S days, you'll be stymied if it doesn't happen right away. A diet wouldn't be any more successful in keeping you from eventually wanting to go overboard, sooner or later. There are SO many variations in how people who are eventually successful with No S experience S days in the beginning. It is NOT the deciding factor in long term success.

Your journey to moderation is probably going to be different from what you expect. The only way to find out is to do it.
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:55 am

Hi Toothfairy, I have recently returned to NoS. Those who have been here a long time I'm sure have better advice than I can give. However, I do want to mention how I handle S days. Your experience may be totally different, but in the past when I've done NoS, I would go way overboard on S days. This time around, I'm deciding to have a small sweet with a meal if I want it on N days.. and I'm treating N and S days the same. No snacking or sweets between meals on any given day. I just include snacks or sweets on my plate if I desire them. That doesn't mean I haven't fallen off the wagon some days, but this approach seems to work better for me. I need structure even on S days or I go crazy!
No S Restart 05/22/19

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:23 pm

I think for a lot of people all they can handle is 5 days of rules & it's really important to have 2 days without rules to look forward to each week.

For me it wasn't really my week days that were a problem. I had 3 meals & an afternoon snack, didn't eat between those meals or graze during the week & enjoyed less nutritious foods like fried foods, appetizers, & larger desserts sometimes, usually on weekends.

My weekends were the problem. It felt like a couple of days off & I would find myself grazing, snacking, & overindulging. So for me I needed a plan to to help me navigate those so I do 3 meals a day all 7 days & add in S events on the days I choose to be S days. I allow 1 square of dark chocolate with my meals on N days & save more indulgent/less nutritious treats for my S days.

I really think it depends on what the person is looking for. I also think that N days need to be focused on first. Until someone is happy with most of their N days, they should not worry at all about S days because it's too much to take on all at once & hope to be successsful with.

Toothfairy29

Post by Toothfairy29 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I've read through lots of the articles that you have recommended. I think I'm only going to know how I manage with N days and S days by giving it a fair go and seeing how I get on. I know I'm sick to death of yoyo dieting and feeling like a failure so an really hopeful that this will work.
To was my first N day and was a success! It's a start I guess!!
Thanks again

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 pm

Toothfairy, You're right. You have to find what works for you! This is a totally sensible way of eating, but we each have to tweak it for what works for us individually. Please keep us updated how it goes for you! :)
No S Restart 05/22/19