Got to make it work

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lib-erated

Got to make it work

Post by Lib-erated » Thu May 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Not so much a newbie but a returnee. I was following No S before christmas and was plodding along quite nicely, losing a nice steady amount and feeling generally pretty good and in comtrol. Then christmas happened and for the past 5 months I have felt so fed up and out of control and no matter how hard I have tried I cannot get my head back in the game.

I have regained all the weight I lost so could really do with some help, advice and guidance from any other returnees, how do you get yourself back into the No S habits and regain control ????/

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu May 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Hello and welcome back! I wonder if it might be helpful to have a look at the thread 'Why did you leave, why are you back?' Lots of returnees on there who could probably offer advice! Good luck :)
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 am

One thing that helped was not getting bogged down in self-blaming thoughts and allowing that to keep me from acting in the present. Don't carry that weight--start fresh. When you do have thoughts about what happens when you get off-plan, let it be motivation for making good choices now.

Think about what you want to accomplish and why.

When I came back to No-S, I really wanted to get into a healthy weight range. I don't need to look like a super-model (ha-ha!), but I did want to avoid so many of the diseases that come with bad eating habits and lots of excess weight. My focus has been on making changes I can live with long term. I could lose weight doing anything (and there are certainly faster ways of losing weight)--but I know that the stats are against me keeping that lost weight off (and I know the yo-yo diet thing well--lose, then gain more back). I made a decision that I wasn't going to do that again.

Reading the No-S Diet book really helped me with motivation. One of the things that stood out to me the most was the idea that one of the healthiest things any of us can do for ourselves is to cut excess sweets and snacks from our everyday habits--that if we're 50 lbs. overweight, we shouldn't be worrying about antioxidants. So...I started there. I didn't try to control what was on my plate at all--but as I started losing and thought about health more, I started wanting to make more healthy choices. I still don't have specific goals with regard to what's on my plate, but very often I do find myself choosing better foods. I had no exercise goals my whole first year--I didn't want to pile on things to do and give up. But this year, I decided to start tracking days that I either walk or do 14 minutes of some kind of exercise. But always with the mindset of what's doable and sustainable?

I like that I feel healthier and stronger overall.

I think being a certain weight or "being thin" can be a nice side effect to enjoy if it comes, but that it makes sense to me to not make appearance my primary goal. One of my first motivators (and a lasting one for me) is a desire to be around as long as possible to take care of my husband who is disabled from Lyme disease. We likely both have a lot of years left, and I'd like them to be as healthy as possible. I'm still in the obese category for a few more pounds, but getting close to being just "overweight." I like that the journey has been doable, and that I feel like I can keep up with the changes I am making long-term. And I like that No-S gives me a framework for making exceptions without "throwing out" my plan.

Not sure if that helps, but welcome back, and I wish you the best! Definitely read the thread on why people left and came back.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Silk001

Post by Silk001 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:30 am

I'm new here too. Just wanted to chime in and wish you the best in restarting!
Silk001

Age 42
Mom to 3 kids -- ages 12, 10, 4
BMI 24.9
Current weight 164
Started No S on 5.1.17
Would like to lose 10-15 pounds

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Fri May 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Merry, so sorry to hear about your husband. How awful.

Welcome to the newbie :)

Buttercup

Post by Buttercup » Fri May 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi - new here too, rather than a returner, but like Silk001, wanted to wish you luck. I have done various diets, and yoyoed all over the place, and it's hard to come back and give it another try - I think you deserve credit for giving it another go.

Also this made me laugh 'that if we're 50 lbs. overweight, we shouldn't be worrying about antioxidants' - so true! The amount of times I am worrying about superfoods or whatever - seriously, I need to lose 4 stone; how many blueberries I am eating is not a priority right now!! :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:27 am

Making changes to eating is well-researched and it's well-known that it can be very hard UNLESS the person's motives are clear and perceived to be very important and to involve an INNER value, not one motivated by external rewards such as approval or prestige. This can start the process but rarely sustain it.

So, besides losing weight, what reasons do you have for wanting to change your eating? That it an important focus to have, rather than losing weight. What's wrong with your eating now? What about your eating is unsatisfying now? What do you think will be more pleasant and fulfilling about living the No S life? Make a list of the benefits and read it over every day, several times a day for awhile and then taper off, but go back to it if you waver too much. Pay as much attention as possible to the pleasure you get when you do stick to it, in the moment and later, and minimize the discomfort.

Also, be okay with having to be uncomfortable at times. Remember the benefits and tell yourself it's worth it over and over. In the tough moments, say THIS is the moment I can make the most difference. I will not regret hanging on until my next meal. I want to make new habits and I know this is my best bet!

And use habitcal.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)