Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Larkspur's check-in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're doing well, even with difficult circumstances. Under those conditions, I'd probably have caved into the milkshake.
Larkspur

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went in for a doctor visit the other day-- wanted to check my TSH due to some dry mouth and crazy heat spells at night. TSH was where it needed to be so I guess it is the perimeno fairy. Anyway, I am 10 lbs down from my highest weight, so that's something anyway. I have normal fasting sugars and my gums don't bleed like they used to, so I am grateful for the non scale victories.

I have been pretty anxious and revved. My job interview went well yesterday and then today, subbing for the same district, I managed to get the time wrong and was half an hour late. So THAT looks great, groan.

One of the health dudes I follow said that drinking lots of water lowers blood cortisol. He and his fellow podcaster always sound so relentlessly cheerful. I wonder if I drank lots of water, stuck to the unprocessed foods and lots of exercise I could put myself into a lower gear. I feel at 51 I should be setting a sedate, elder-stateswoman sort of pace, which (partly because of job hunting) is not happening.

Anyway-- quick gratitude list.

1. Awesome husband. 6'3" and 230 pounds of sheer goodness.

2. Really nice kids. My oldest is on the spectrum and underemployed. He doesn't have much money, but he donated some of what he has to Syrian refugees.

3. I got a bunch of tulips in the ground last fall and they are really rewarding me now.

4. Spring at last, hallelujia. It has been a long time coming for the midatlantic part of the US.
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larkspur wrote:
Went in for a doctor visit the other day-- wanted to check my TSH due to some dry mouth and crazy heat spells at night. TSH was where it needed to be so I guess it is the perimeno fairy. Anyway, I am 10 lbs down from my highest weight, so that's something anyway. I have normal fasting sugars and my gums don't bleed like they used to, so I am grateful for the non scale victories.

I have been pretty anxious and revved. My job interview went well yesterday and then today, subbing for the same district, I managed to get the time wrong and was half an hour late. So THAT looks great, groan.

One of the health dudes I follow said that drinking lots of water lowers blood cortisol. He and his fellow podcaster always sound so relentlessly cheerful. I wonder if I drank lots of water, stuck to the unprocessed foods and lots of exercise I could put myself into a lower gear. I feel at 51 I should be setting a sedate, elder-stateswoman sort of pace, which (partly because of job hunting) is not happening.

Anyway-- quick gratitude list.

1. Awesome husband. 6'3" and 230 pounds of sheer goodness.

2. Really nice kids. My oldest is on the spectrum and underemployed. He doesn't have much money, but he donated some of what he has to Syrian refugees.

3. I got a bunch of tulips in the ground last fall and they are really rewarding me now.

4. Spring at last, hallelujia. It has been a long time coming for the midatlantic part of the US.

Sounds like you're doing great. Plus great kids and a good husband. The job thing will settle down eventually. I've been where you are at 51, and it's no picnic. Spring has finally arrived here in Pa, about d_ _ _ time. As to water putting you in a lower gear, my newest gear reducer is Lanc. Brewing's Dbl Choc. Milk stout. Two of my favorite food groups(well three if you count the milk).
ladybird30

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely story about your oldest Larkspur.
Larkspur

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw middle daughter graduate today. She came out magna cum laude from a quite difficult program, and was chosen for the writing prize, so I am of course extra proud although just getting through is achievement enough. Got 86 year old mother in law to and from uneventfully. So a good day even though it was very wet and gray on the East Coast.

Read some advice on focusing on one thing at a time when making health changes. I have been able to keep an 14-16 hours fast overnight and have added "gut food" (fiber foods) to most of my meals, so those two things have more or less stuck, partly because of the nice clear benefits. I need to decide what to do next. I wonder what the most helpful change would be? My two main desired outcomes are brain health and weight loss. Open to suggestions. I could try:

*drinking 6 glasses of water daily
*exercising 20 to 30 min daily
*being more vigilant about snacks (I fast at least 14 hours, so I have been less strict with this one, though still not popping food all the time)
*being more careful about plating
*giving up my mod of a daily sweet treat, go to strict S days (I worry this makes me more inclined to overeat on weekend to "fit things in")
*turning lights out faithfully at 11 pm

So if anybody has any thoughts on what might help the most in my two goals, I'm all ears Smile
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting on your goals for improved or sustained brain health? What is your goal on that one? I know my wife has worried about that, since her dad developed dementia. For a while, she became an avid puzzler, and now makes her own original cards to keep her brain occupied during retirement. There's a business in our area called Brain Balance which works with children, maybe there's something like that for adults. When I first retired I was playing a lot of online chess, but tired of that after a few months. I think taking up a new hobby that stimulates thinking or renewing on old one is great for brain health. Mine was learning to play guitar, and just a lot of reading. I'll be interested to hear what you decide.
ladybird30

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larkspur - exercise and getting enough sleep will help both brain health and weight loss (I know many people say that exercise makes no difference to weight loss, but I disagree there).

No snacking will help with weight loss, and probably therefore with brain health (reducing risk of diabetes and associated effects)

Being more careful about plating might help weight loss if you are eating excessively large meals, though my personal inclination is to tackle snacks first.

Drinking 6 glasses of water daily might help if you are chronically dehydrated. As far as I know, for healthy adults thirst is a reliable guide to fluid intake.

I am not a health professional or scientist, the above is based on my reading and personal experience.
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladybird30 wrote:
Hi Larkspur - exercise and getting enough sleep will help both brain health and weight loss (I know many people say that exercise makes no difference to weight loss, but I disagree there).

No snacking will help with weight loss, and probably therefore with brain health (reducing risk of diabetes and associated effects)

Being more careful about plating might help weight loss if you are eating excessively large meals, though my personal inclination is to tackle snacks first.

Drinking 6 glasses of water daily might help if you are chronically dehydrated. As far as I know, for healthy adults thirst is a reliable guide to fluid intake.

I am not a health professional or scientist, the above is based on my reading and personal experience.

Good points ladybird. Sleeping is certainly a key ingredient. In my own case, exercise was good for maintaining a certain weight range, but is a very minor ingredient in losing weight. I've often heard that it's a 50/50 split for exercise/diet for weight loss. In my case, it was more like 20% exercise to 80% diet. And by diet I don't mean starvation mode, but rather just cleaning up the junk(S's) like NoS did without much thinking. I discovered that with a good eating plan, almost any exercise plan works. With the opposite mix, which would be a good to great exercise plan, and a crappy diet, it almost never works or sustains weight loss. Of course ultra marathon runners or triathlon competitors would be the exceptions.
sharon227

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Exercise! Reply with quote

One vote for exercise Smile I am a very enthusiastic fan of exercise. I agree that it's not a big reason you lose weight, but it's so important for overall good health. And isn't that a major reason why we don't want to be overweight?

I also find that when I'm exercising regularly, I'm less likely to want to put crap in my body.

Find something you enjoy doing. Just like eating, exercise should be something that brings pleasure. I love my daily walks. If that doesn't work for you, find something else. Try a bicycle? See if some kind of class works for you? Put on some music and dance?
Larkspur

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided (seems to be the consensus) on exercise. Success for Sunday and today. I didn’t feel like it, but I called a friend and actually had a lovely walk talking to her.

I have noticed some changes in my memory— it’s like things used to fall into a puddle, and now they fall into a deep dark lake! Like, gone. Luckily I am married to a neuropsychologist so he can keep an eye on me 😜 I think it’s mostly hormonal but I worry about micro vascular changes too. The 50s are a kind of fork in the road for health, and I want to fork the right way.

Happily I got the job I wanted, so yay there.

Noticing that my “just a little” sugar is creeping up. Need to take myself in hand there Smile
ladybird30

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they say you can't out exercise a bad diet, and that's probably right. I've always put on weight when I can't exercise, at least in part because I miss out on the mood boosting effects.
Larkspur

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the last week, four out of seven days for exercise. It gets pushed out pretty easily but I'm hoping with summer to get a better routine.

And now for my long and boring complaint: The eternal struggle vis a vis my poor MIL waxes and wanes. She had a tough childhood and was pretty dependent on my husband and by extension me even when she was driving and independent. My DH moved his practice next to her apt so he could lunch with her on most days. She started to have more mobility issues so we moved her to a one level condo we own about a mile away. She gave up her car, has struggled with depression on and off for years, and now if she does not have frequent visits/exciting things happening she wilts, gets monotone, and subtly directs her resentment at us, who of course are the ones who visit/call/shop/check mail/pick up prescriptions. I know she doesn't really want to do this. She is very clear she doesn't want to go into a nursing home, and she can't afford one anyway. I truly believe that she needs frequent calls and visits-- very reasonable for someone of her age and physical condition. But she has required a high level of attention/care for many, many years, and I'm getting tired.

I can't really complain to friends because a, it doesn't help, and b, most of my friends are sweet and dutiful people who strongly believe in good eldercare, without actually living near their elderly parents or being on the hook for near-daily duty for even a short time, let alone for ten years plus. I do complain and I'm sure people think I'm selfish and a bit of a piker. Ah well.

Hopefully we'll see our way through this with reasonably good grace. It's too easy to sacrifice self-care to competing family needs and I have to remember that my husband and I need to look after ourselves so we can be there for the others.
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new job. Your "plate" is certainly full. Don't be too tough on yourself.
Larkspur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my current program is a sort of modded No S, as in

a little sugar daily
S days Friday and Saturday
try not to snack on S days anyway
fast 15-16 hours from about 6 pm to about 10 am
eat mostly whole foods
beans, oats, or veg at most meals (gut biome!)

I have been having an easier time with eating better food and Friday I was looking forward to a treat. In my wisdom I bought 2 large boxes of candy and ate them BOTH. And I felt pretty much fine. Not even sick. Until I remembered what I am doing to my poor middle aged liver-- I wouldn't drink a fifth, right? Why did I think it was alright to eat 900 calories worth of sugar? Ah me.

I'd already ordered Always Hungry by David Ludwig, with some trepidation-- I have bought/browsed some Mark Hyman, Whole-30 style stuff and I have done South Beach and the like. I was worried it would be polemical or off puttingly hard, but it's more like The Good Gut, which I really like, more focused on putting things in than taking things out. I do think that for some bodies, frequent doses of refined carbs => insulin is a big chunk of the problem, although I know not everyone sees it that way and I respect that. Anyway, after my Jujyfruit debacle, I haven't had anything except fruit and sweetened coffee Smile

Exercise has been a challenge lately for no good reason other than I don't feel like it! I am running maybe 3 or 4 days out of 7. So continuing to focus on that and steering away from sweets.

"Those who eat sweets excessively want more and more of them. Unless one takes himself in hand, eating one sweet simply leads to eating another. Such an unbalanced practice crowds out milk, vegetables, fruits and eggs..."
--From "Your Home and You," 1948
Larkspur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus this week: enjoying summer (LOVE SUMMER), and plating more carefully. If I snack while cooking there is less of that yay feeling when I sit down. Have been pretty good about physical activity— summer weather/schedule makes that easier. Lots of family and friend activities lately, gardening, and fussing over my new chickens. My Amish builder says “only a couple of swing sets and I can get to your coop.” Ack! These chickens are getting BIG!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: