beginning again

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

beginagain

beginning again

Post by beginagain » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Okay, this time I want to implement the no s rules with Dr Gott's No Flour, No Sugar Diet.
So, no snacks, no sweets or flour, and no seconds (the 1 plate rule).
As for the s day exception, knowing myself, I am going to allow minor latitude to special holiday meals with others.
Today is day one.
Thanks Ooala for your comment on my other thread, it did bring me back!
Last edited by beginagain on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Glad to see you beginning again and wish you luck on your first week back.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:44 pm

I have had to admit that when I slip, it's almost always on sugar or flour or somehow a dehydrated, processed starch. I haven't cut them out completely but I'm mulling over what situations I will allow them in, and I have cut them way down over the years--unless I'm failing. I'll still eat potatoes and whole cooked grains, anything that hasn't been turned into a particle or close to it along the way. I call those dry starches. Even moist cakes are really dry starches in my book. In fact, just about anything baked. But there are so darn many of them out there, and for so cheap! But I'm starting to get that -shopping-cart-at-the-edge-of-the-parking-lot feeling when I walk past them. I I feel a resistance like bumping up against the an invisible force field about two feet from the shelf.

Even better is not walking down the dang aisle in the first place.

As you can see, my frequent failure streak has lasted since the beginning of the school year. I even recently gave myself complete permission to go ahead and eat anything. I chose not to fight the compulsion. But I did that from a position of having had Vanilla "work" for me for a loooong time. And with the dry starches, I had a lot of success for quite awhile as well with keeping them moderate. But we're getting to close to the "eating season" and frankly, I'm kinda tired of my own excuses when I know better. I've reminded myself of what's going on chemically. Continuing to reinforce the urges is just going to intensify the whole cycle. I just can't go back there. I just have to go through the worst of the pain before it gets easier.
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

beginagain

Post by beginagain » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:03 am

Thanks gingerpie and Ooala. If you notice I edited what I wrote this morning. It's because, as I thought about it, yes Ooala, it's the processed starches that get me too. I never ate beans or corn or a baked potato in secret. I was looking on the internet and read about the No Flour thing. I began to read Dr. Gott's book and reviews about it. That's what resonated and made me do the edit.