Natalie's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Corin6:12

Natalie's check in

Post by Corin6:12 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Hello everyone! I just started no s on Sunday. I have a history of disordered eating and I am hoping this will give me some relief and freedom. Im trying not to obsess about my weight. I really don't want to gain anything, but I don't see how I won't. I have lost a lot of weight these last 2 years, and I weigh 125. I have already gained 10 pounds after a 27 day water fast. So I know I need something healthy and sustainable that won't make me crazy. I am 5 ft tall, so going over 129 would put me back into overweight again.

So, I started on Sunday and enjoyed a burger with fries for lunch. And saved my snacking for evening. And yesterday I did no s perfectly until I got really hungry in the evening and had cereal. But I read in the book to eat more during meals. But Im fearful that that would cause me to gain weight. I used to count calories, if I stopped counting I would gain. So Im trying not to freak out.

I don't know how to attach my color calendar thing to this.

But I will keep posted on my progress.
“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.

-1 corinthians 6:12

Post by Corin6:12 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:55 am

Today has been another wonderful day!! Such freedom!!! Tuesday and Wednesday were both green, and today will be as well. I thought that since I've been eating more (more than my normal restriction dieting) that I would feel and look bigger, but Im down a pound and my face looks slimmer. I have no idea why, Im even eating more naughty carbs than normal! Naughty as in not Ezekiel bread, but a bagel here and there and rice, not naughty as in doughnut etc.

Yesterday I was thinking about what I have been craving lately so I can enjoy it on the weekend, but I couldn't think of anything that sounded good. I thought about icecream but it didn't sounds appealing. Maybe that's the psychological part working; only really wanting something when I can't have it!

I had more thoughts about all this, but I need to get to bed.
“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:07 am

Welcome to No S, I look forward to following your check ins.

I'm returning to No S after a while of having drifted away, and the reason I came back is that I was spending too much time thinking 'what should I do about my weight?' and 'how should I be tackling my weight?' on No S I just follow three simple rules and I can clear my brain to think about other things.

For me, I see a lot of truth in the idea that this way of eating is an old-fashioned way, how people ate before obesity became such a problem. I really see this in particular when I think of my grandmother who never snacked and only ate dessert at weekends.

I also like that this diet doesn't treat carbs as 'bad' when I think back 2 or 3 generations, they ate bread, potatoes, rice. Look at how slim people can be in Japan eating so much rice, or Italy eating so much bread and pasta. I think the manufactured snack food industry is more responsible for weight gain in society.
I CAN do this.

2nd week in

Post by Corin6:12 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:34 pm

So far every day has been perfect except for one red day on my first weekday.

Easter candy has been calling to me, mostly yesterday, only a little today. I've kept myself busy so I don't feel tempted.

Today it kind of came to me; modifying no s with calorie counting. I don't want to wait until I've gained even more weight before I mod. And in going to start steering towards healthier foods. Not in a dieting way, but just in a wanting to be healthier way. Counting calories never really bugged me, im so used to doing it. Its like 2nd nature.

I've been reading a book called Love to Eat, Hate to Eat, and its helping me with my issues around food and body image.

Yesterday for dinner i had a salad, by choice! That might not seem like a big deal, but salad and other vegetables were only eaten while I was dieting. So I always considered it diet food. But yesterday I felt like I wanted to eat a little healthy. So im making some improvements in thinking about my health instead of weight loss.

Post by Corin6:12 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:37 pm

I gained 4 pounds in less than a week.

Time to mod.

Today is day one of calorie counting.

So far for breakfast im having 420 calories. I think my range is 1200-1500, so I will try and stay around the top end and see if that produces weight loss. If not I will decrease.