Buttercup Checking In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Buttercup

Buttercup Checking In

Post by Buttercup » Wed May 10, 2017 1:53 pm

OK so, first post to state progress so far:

I started 9 days ago, having done two weeks of just No Snacks before I discovered this place.

So far on No-S I have had 3 fail days already, and this is disheartening. Each time they were sweet things after dinner. I had no fails in the two No Snacks weeks.

I can feel myself getting pressured and obsessed about it, and this does not bode well, since I have had issued all my adult life with disordered eating. I don't want to rush and trigger things off again...

Despite these hiccups, I have so far lost 2 inches off my waist (no scales) and one dress that was too small, now fits.

I have had more success with starting things slowly, and doing one thing at a time, properly, than I have with trying to do multiple things at once. I will think on it... maybe as long as there are hard and fast rules to stick to, then it is doable.

I am trying to find some posts etc on the site about starting slower. I am wondering whether to do 3 full weeks of No Snacks and let that habit bed fully in first, since it is my worst habit. This feels dangerous, but that may be intuition, or it may be my inner control freak wanting to 'get it all sorted right now and stop messing about!!!'.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 11, 2017 1:31 am

Welcome! And congrats on your great results so far :)

There was definitely a post a while back about someone (not sure which poster) who introduced the S es one at a time. Definitely a good way to go if you feel that all at once may trigger a rebellion. However, you do have to expect slower weight results if you go that way. Having said that, sounds like you're sure that most of your excess is from eating between meals, so you might have lots of success just tackling that one.

Three fails in 2 weeks is really good going! Especially since they were isolated incidents, not all day snack-fests. I've had weeks with a fail-a-day. One of my favourite quotes from this board (from vmsurbat) is "Mark it and move on" - so, note the fail, then let it go. Minor slips can only derail you if you let them!

The other really helpful message I got early on was "you don't have to fix everything about your eating all at once".

At the 9 day mark, I'd just let it go. If you've been on track for 3 or 4 months and you find that most of your slips are sweet things after dinner, you might decide to tackle that specifically - e.g. end your meal and then mark the end of the day's eating with a special tasty herbal tea or other drink you enjoy, or perhaps plan some fruit and nuts as part of your plate to "end the meal".

I look forward to reading about your journey!

Buttercup

Post by Buttercup » Fri May 12, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks Ironchef :)

I know I saw one, but I can't find it now - it's maybe within a different thread? I think they started as isolated incidents, but now I seem to be on a roll...

I am wondering if the whole idea of just no snacks is self-delusion? Evening snacks have re-emerged as a 'Thing' in my head now - is this the extinction burst? Maybe I need to Just Do It, and get through the burst (hardest bit, always, and where I always fall down)

I have lost the peace of mind I had gained over the last 2-3 weeks, I'm not really looking forward to the weekend no-s because I cheated, and I feel like I am back on the diet roller-coaster brain again, and it's really damaging. It is going to be hard to recover from almost 30 years of diet mentality :(

Buttercup

Post by Buttercup » Fri May 12, 2017 10:02 am

Progress so far:

May:
1st - Success
2nd - Success
3rd - Failure (chocolate in evening)
4th - Success
5th - Success
6th - Success
7th - Success
8th - Failure (chocolate in evening)
9th - Failure (ice-cream in evening)
10th - Success
11th - Failure (double ice-cream and toast and lemon curd in evening)

Daytimes I am having no trouble not snacking, evenings are obviously a different matter!

Does anyone know how to post from the habitcal straight into here?

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Fri May 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi Buttercuo,

I'm new, so can't help with Habitcal, but wanted to say great job!