New to No S!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BurtMacklin

New to No S!

Post by BurtMacklin » Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Hello All!

I'm a newb here, and I've got a long way to go.

The funny thing is, I started this diet before I had even heard of it. I decided to weigh myself on Monday and was at 271 (Male, by the way). I have gone on several health kicks with varying success, my greatest success has been with South Beach but I was derailed last time by a severe stomach pain problem which may or may not have been caused by the diet. On Monday I basically just came to the realization that I needed to overhaul my relationship with food. If I am ever going to be healthy I have to stop eating as a hobby (literally...if I was asked what my favorite hobby was and I was being brutally honest, it's eating. My other main recreation...watching tv...is also enhanced by eating). It probably comes as no surprise that I have had a weight problem for most of my life...at was at my thinnest in high school while playing football and that was probably between 200 and 210. I haven't been under 200 pounds since I was a freshman.

So as I said, I was on this diet before I had even discovered it online...I just decided that if I was going to be healthy, I needed to eat the amount of food that a healthy person would eat (or my perception of a healthy person's portions). I was so happy to find this website because it essentially puts a form and structure to the goal I had already set in my head. In other aspects of my life I try to apply the principles of minimalism/moderation, and food needs to be a part of that.

These last 5 days have been a struggle...I've been holding the line so far, and when I encounter trouble I basically approach it almost like meditation...I recognize the feeling I'm having, I re-envision my goal, I remind myself of the fruits of the spirit, one of which is self control (my own religious thing, obviously) and I move on. One of the things I look forward to after these first few weeks is not thinking constantly about the fact that I'm on a diet. It's just my nature to obsess, but I know that through meditation and repetition I will eventually overcome. Just have to stick with it.

I weigh in on Monday...hopefully I'll have some good news!

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri May 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Welcome Burt, Sounds you're off to a decent start. I also started out weighing in Mondays at first, but someone's advice was to possibly use Saturday morning instead to offset some of the damage newbies incur over an S-weekend. But I initially did okay on Monday's as well. Good luck either way.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

BurtMacklin

Post by BurtMacklin » Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks! There wasn't much reason that I chose Monday other than I was starting out and wanted to get an official beginning weight...and in my other weight loss "adventures" I have always kept to a strict weighing schedule...I try to weigh exactly 7 days later, roughly the same time of day, and with clothes on.

We'll see how it goes but I might stick with it because I also saw it as something to look forward to on a Monday....lord knows there's nothing much to look forward to on a Monday lol

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:45 pm

When it becomes second nature, or at least much easier, is not predictable, really. It depends on many things, but it sounds like you have some good instincts. Just keep going!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Amy3010

Re: New to No S!

Post by Amy3010 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:02 am

BurtMacklin wrote: I recognize the feeling I'm having, I re-envision my goal, I remind myself of the fruits of the spirit, one of which is self control (my own religious thing, obviously) and I move on.
Yes, this, exactly! I just wrote this down on an index card. Thanks for sharing it!

Good luck, Burt!

Muzzachi

Post by Muzzachi » Mon May 15, 2017 7:36 am

Help make this the Do not post anything bad to me.

sbo
Last edited by Muzzachi on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Welcome. Remember, No S is perfect as it is. Follow the three "pillars" and go at it.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu May 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi Burtmacklin! (another Parks and Rec fan? My kids got me hooked :))

I too like the gentle discipline. I mess up a lot, but the background gentle restraint feels right to me.

Best wishes on your NoS journey.