MaybeSparrow's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MaybeSparrow

MaybeSparrow's Daily Check In

Post by MaybeSparrow » Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 pm

This is my first post, but I have been reading the forums for ages. I have tried following No-S countless times, but have the unfortunate tendency to give up whenever I have a bad day and run back to the comfort of calorie counting. But guess what? I HATE calorie counting!! No-S just makes sense and I know it's something I can continue with for the rest of my life...I just have to get the habit in place. I'm hoping posting a daily check in will help me do that. If I mess up, that's OK! I will keep going!

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 am

Welcome MaybeSparrow. Good luck with stickig with No S, you'll see how we all mess up occasionally. Perfect is boring, trying is what life is really all about :D
I CAN do this.

MaybeSparrow

Post by MaybeSparrow » Thu May 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Thank you Skycat :)

Day one was green, which is a big deal for me--I've had plenty of day ones that were total failures.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am

Congrats on getting started. Now try to string several green days in a row.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

MaybeSparrow

Post by MaybeSparrow » Sun May 21, 2017 2:27 am

Thank you Whosonfirst :)

Day 2: Fail--a few bites of ice cream and a piece of licorice. However the silver lining is that I didn't use that small failure as an excuse to throw the rest of the day away.

Day 3: Success

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Sun May 21, 2017 6:07 am

Not throwing away the rest of the day after a fail, especially so soon into the plan is something to be proud of, especially with following it up with a successful day straight afterwards. Well done.
I CAN do this.

MaybeSparrow

Post by MaybeSparrow » Tue May 23, 2017 1:52 am

Day 4(May 20): S-day
Day 5(May 21): S-day
Day 6(May 22): Success!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:16 am

Keep in mind what the options are and how much you don't want to have to rely on them forever. That kept me going and still does.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)