Lilybug's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lilybug

Post by Lilybug » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:42 pm

thanks, Merry :)

Saturday I had a smoothie for breakfast and a few baked chips to finish out the bag :roll:

For lunch I ate a veggie burger and fried eggplant wrap (soon good) with some salad. If every meal could be that satisfying I think I wouldn't be "looking" for something to eat so much.

I took a piece of tiramisu home to eat later that night and it did not disappoint.
I had a can of tomato soup for dinner with some saltines.

I went shopping on Saturday because all my pants are so tight that I've been wearing leggings and long shirts. Its so comfortable, but quite a shocker when you are used to it and then go to put on a regular pair of pants :shock:

I've been a size 12 most of my life, except for a time when I got really thin- down to and 8 and even below when I was 40. People were telling me to eat a cheeseburger. I was in love and ready to change my whole life. Slowly it came back on and it hasn't stopped. Now I'm 52 and I was buying size 14 and even one 16 :shock: I wouldn't have bought the 16 but it was a NYDJ that is so expensive when you buy it in the Big stores (I was ate a consignment shop- paid $2-$7 for each piece I got) and it is slimming- and I'm needing that now.

This morning I went to breakfast by myself and had a piece of sausage, half a biscuit and 2 eggs over easy and some home fries. No wonder I'm gaining weight, but I don't do it often- I rarely go out to eat anymore, although I miss it.

Today, I'm going to look at what I have in the freezer and refrigerator and only get what is necessary to have some meals this week. I'm going to get in some vegetables as much as possible.

At least I can say that I feel less driven to eat sweets all weekend because I can. I'm feeling less like I'm looking forward to the next meal. Probably because I feel like I can have what I want!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Nice work. I think I averaged out to about 85% compliance the first year.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Lilybug

Post by Lilybug » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm doing pretty well this week. I'm sticking to my meals, except for a hot chocolate with soy milk a couple of times. Hopefully I'll need that less as I go on. Last night, it wasn't for hunger, but for comfort.

I feel so much better since I am wearing the larger size I bought. I'm not happy going up a size, believe me, but squeezing into a 12 just made me feel and look horrible.

I do want to clean up my meals a bit, but for now I just want to get the 3 meals down and secondly, to not go completely nuts on the weekend. I just feel better when I don't.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 pm

When I started, since I wasn't concentrating on weight loss, I made sure I had clothes that fit comfortably. Something in me must have had an inkling things would change because I bought them at thrift stores so I wouldn't feel like I had given up too much if I did drop a size. They always say to get rid of your bigger clothes once you lose weight, but I kept a couple of pairs around. There were times I was really glad I had 'em. But those are all gone back to thrift stores now! Some I actually liked a lot, and missed them for a bit, but they had gotten to the point at which they went beyond comfortable into frumpy. I'm no fashion maven, but who needs frumpy when there are more flattering clothes, some with their tags still on, at Goodwill? It became a habit, and I've gotten many compliments on things I find.

But new new stuff is fun, too!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Lilybug

Post by Lilybug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:25 pm

I agree about the thrift stores, Oolala! We have a "high end" one here and it makes me wonder why I would ever buy full price stuff when often, the tags are still on the clothes I buy at the thrift shop.

Well, FAILURE on Thursday and Friday. The weekend wasn't any better. I felt so depressed and lonely. Granted there was plenty I could have done, but I was just there in the dumps and there was no lifting it. I've struggled with it all my life, so its nothing new. My best friend/sister was out of town on vacation and although we don't see each other all the time, I just felt alone. I fed her cat while she was gone and it was just sad. Its cold and Blah outside. I am NOT a winter person. I can't wait until spring.

That being said, this week is a new week. I make Coq au Vin and mashed potatoes last night and I'm bringing them to my sister and her family tonight as they are coming back and her refrigerator is bare and I know she won't want to shop tonight.

I made some healthyish thai noodle and veg bowls for lunch today and tomorrow and oatmeal for breakfast.

I want to lament about the last week but what is the point? I'm tired of complaining. All I can do is forge ahead and try to have a green week.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:57 pm

I hear you. Last week was difficult for me, too. Keeping my fingers crossed for our respective green weeks!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Have had many of those hours, Lilybug. Getting up and out can sound like that last thing you would be able to do. With No S, I got to the point where just watching a lot of TV or even crying for awhile was better than eating. Other things were, too, but those two were ones most people wouldn't think were the best remedies. Maybe they weren't. Neither was eating.

You are one great sister to bring Coq au Vin and mashed potatoes with you!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Lilybug

Post by Lilybug » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks, Oolala,

I'm feeling much better now, mainly from getting up and moving. Cleaning the house has helped a lot! I actually came across on Youtube some videos of this woman cleaning her house with tips, etc. It showed her cleaning at an increased speed while she overdubbed how she cleans. Strangely entertaining and motivating! She is How Jen Does It if anyone is interested.

I think I get overwhelmed with whats going on in my head (negative thoughts) and I need to just move my ass.

I'm going to a art open house in the city today (yay!) with demos and door prizes and food (glad its an S day LOL)

I've had a few red days this past week. Yesterday was an S day but I didn't go crazy- although it was plenty including bites of cheesecake and toast and jam with tea before bed.

I'm going to do some loose meal planning for this week. I'm so excited for spring- NOT a winter person. I look forward to the time change. It will work out for me because I get so sleepy so early and I'm up at 4-4:30 every morning! Now it will actually be time to get up.

I go to the Dr. tomorrow about my hormones- to check on how my HRT is going. I'm afraid to step on that scale- but what it is is what it is.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:47 pm

So nice of you to think about how your sister wouldn't want to cook. You are kind!

I ABSOLUTELY will check out How Jen Does It. Some other thread on here got me all motivated to declutter, so I spent a couple hours doing that yesterday. Maybe today it will be cleaning.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Lilybug

Post by Lilybug » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 pm

I've fallen away (again) from no S. Just eating too much and I think I'm at the highest I've ever been (186).

Spring is bringing me back to life some, but I just feel like crap- overweight and unattractive- weak and sluggish.

I'm going to commit to 2 meals no snack today.

Its hard not to get depressed. Or maybe that is why I'm eating too much anyway. Don't want to hang out and doom and gloom. Just back to trying to find a way to freedom.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:14 pm

I gently say that self-berating thoughts are part of the overeating cycle, so they make it more likely later. However, keeping in mind that you really want to avoid that heavy, overfull feeling, even if it takes some tough moments. (I think nothing makes a person feel thin as getting a bit hungry and eating lighter meals for a few days.)

If you've been eating often, is there any way you could see easing yourself back in with three meals rather than two? It might make it more likely to be successful at, and it would be very helpful to be successful at something, even if it was small. It would definitely be better than what's been happening, no?

It's just an idea. Sometimes opposing ideas can make us more resolute regarding the one we want. I know being dead set against being a "number cruncher" or "eliminator" galvanized my efforts on No S. It was my last resort against the continuing upward spiral of food-loaded afternoons and evenings. Having fallen back into that habit (though "lighter") last fall gave me a reminder of what a lousy life it was. I eased my way back in with bigger meals than I had become used to before the "fall," and now have ended up with being able to dial it back to sometimes less than I was eating a couple of years ago.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23