Gnawing Hunger Between Meals

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

john

Gnawing Hunger Between Meals

Post by john » Sun May 28, 2017 4:41 pm

I had successfully followed the No-S diet successfully several years ago. I have gained some weight lately, mostly in the belly area. My greatest challenge is a very uncomfortable gnawing hunger between meals. Today I have returned to the website desperately looking for strategies to get me from one meal to the next without snacking. Based upon blood tests, I am not hypoglycemic. Drinking water between meals does absolutely nothing for the hunger. I am hoping that there are some other things I could try other than gritting my teeth and watching the clock anticipating the next meal. I am a 72 year old man, 5'10'' tall weighing 192 pounds. I exercise on my Nordic Track daily. :(

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun May 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi John and welcome back to NoS. I remember the hunger being intense in the early days as I had never experienced not snacking before, even on the many diets I had followed over the years. A glass of milk, and many cups of tea, and sometimes diet soda were just about enough to get me through in the beginning. I have to say that almost 8 months in I am no longer bothered by feelings of hunger, if they are there in the background before a meal it is just normal now and I pay no attention, knowing that I will enjoy my next meal all the more.
So hang on in there, one meal at a time, you'll soon be ticking the days off and it will get easier.
Good luck! :)
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:54 pm

So you didn't feel that hunger years ago? Are you eating similar meals now?

I gently say you may have to forgo weight loss for a bit while you reestablish the habit. You may have to eat bigger meals. You may have to experiment with the ratios of your macronutrients. I feel the lack of fat more than the lack of anything else. Others swear by protein. Very few seem to have any trouble getting enough starch.

Alternately, step down to the meal structure. Allow yourself very limited snacks during any difficult meal gaps, and then try to phase them out.

I also ask out of curiosity, are you sure it is real hunger, and not just a jonesing for a fix? That to me is actually more uncomfortable than hunger, and is not usually remedied with more food. I'm not accusing, just asking.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:25 pm

I get really hungry sometimes, although (interestingly) it will go away some times, so you could argue it's not "real," to which I would argue back: sure feels real. I drink coffee with creamers in it. I've done fruit juice and seltzer.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:46 am

Just because it goes away doesn't make it fake. In fact, real hunger comes and goes as the body taps into its stores. Fake hunger usually comes and goes, too, if you wait long enough. It's usually more of a desire for "fake" foods.

The body is MADE to tolerate bouts of a lack of food.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)