Public Announcement For Public Accountability!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mustloseweight

Public Announcement For Public Accountability!

Post by Mustloseweight » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Tomorrow I will commence my No S Journey, within the following parameters:

1. S days will be occasional:

- one dessert after a Sunday lunch.
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
- special birthdays of immediate family only

2. Exercise for a minimum of 14 mins a day

3. Victorian housework regime to recommence

4. Meditate / do Yoga to strengthen my mental resolve and willpower and reflect on why I am doing this.

Wish me luck!

Anne x
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:48 pm

You can do it! I'm restarting today. Never give up!

Elyssa

Post by Elyssa » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 pm

Anne - BEST OF LUCK & Good Vibes to you!!! Question: I'm assuming you have good reasons for being so strict in your modifications? Whatever path you choose, YOU CAN DO IT & again, best of luck!!!! (If you find it easier to follow "regular" No-S rules after all, you can always deliberately adjust things later.) The loose format for S Days serves that "escape valve" function so you don't rebel - BUT YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED to follow the original plan. Do whatever brings you PEACE with eating first and foremost & the weight will calibrate itself. 🍀
Ahh... relief!

"No S" has become the life-changing answer to my agonizing questions around food...

Trust in the wisdom of structure.

Mustloseweight

Thank you

Post by Mustloseweight » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:37 am

Thank you Maggie Mae and Elyssa.

I am very much an 'all or nothing' person who has attempted to do moderation but have found I am allergic to it! I have heard people say in Weightwatchers meetings that they put a bar of chocolate in the fridge and allow themselves one chunk a day and I am like - how? Why? Is that even possible?

I have some health issues and have had to give up my teaching career because of them and becoming more sedentary over the last five years has seen me put five stones on in weight when I already had a problem to start with.

My GP Doctor says when losing weight do not do anything to lose the weight that you cannot do for the rest of your life otherwise you will put it back on again. It must be a change for life so it must be a sustainable sane plan you follow that is part of the real world. So any plan that means I am chopping, dicing, cooking, etc for two hours a day won't work for me. A plan that is so Utopian it does not accommodate real life like annual holidays, vacations, Christmas, birthdays is doomed because they happen and let's be honest we enjoy them to the full.

Exercise is an issue because I am so big right now that just my house stairs leave me winded. I have bought all the Leslie Sansone DVDs and I need to do them rather than watch them! Again with exercise it needs to be done for life so what better opportunity to exploit than housework, which will have to be done for the rest of my life and has the added bonus of giving me a clean house and less earache off my husband over chores outstanding when he is 'at work all day' - blah blah blah!

I have become a sloth, no motivation, no energy, lethargic and just plain disinterested in life.

This has to change, it has become an issue of health implications and will shorten my life if I don't act now.

Oolala has been a tower of strength and I am blessed to have her and you all here for support.

Have a good Saturday.

Anne xx
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:52 am

Anne, You can do this. While I'm not a paragon of virtue when it comes to No S, have had some moderate success when it comes to the exercise side of things. Start out very easy with whatever you do. I'm a big proponent for just plain walking and keeping it very short to start, even if only half a block and back. Actually get outside and enjoy the outdoors. Much less boring also. It's amazing how soon your body tells you, okay let's go a little further today.

I do like Leslie Sansone's approach, that you mentioned, in that she incorporates some light weight balls into her walking routines. Shovelglove is also very doable especially the 14 minute daily habit. I'm wishing you well and hope to see your regular postings. Trace
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Hang in there, Anne! Post often and let us encourage you when times get hard. I'm with your doctor--change has to be doable and sustainable. Leslie Sansone is great, and you can start off with the easier walking routines and just do it as long as you can and gradually build up. I think the first time I did one I did about 5 minutes, LOL! I was a little surprised that it kicked my tush (it's "just walking" I thought!) But if you do that each day, soon you'll be able to do a solid 13 or 15 minute workout with it.

I think with any plan like this, the important thing is not to give up if you hit imperfection. Don't say "oh well, it didn't work, wth"--get back up the next day and try again. You don't have to be perfect with your days, just don't give up. Being mostly consistent is a lot better.

You can do this!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Thank you for your kind words. Have you written your lists of reasons that eating less and having longer eating gaps is important to you? What advantages do they have? Without them, the old habits, which will pop up as urges and thoughts of justification to eat outside the guidelines, can be very assertive. A true epiphany can wipe out the effects of those old urges, but epiphanies are pretty hard to create at will. Most of us need reminders often.

Just remember not to believe any thoughts that it's too hard, it's not worth it, I'm too weak, I'm being deprived, etc. Being deprived of what, more pleasure than you would get from relieving yourself of the burdens of overeating? See them as simply the old brain pattern, based in lower parts of the brain, and often exacerbated by the effects of manufactured foods, being threatened and doing anything they can to USE you to keep the overeating habit going. I don't believe they're trying to sabotage. They are doing exactly what they would have been doing 15,000 years ago when food was scarce; getting you to eat rich sources of calories. They don't know the extra food won't save your life or could rob you of your eyesight, your circulation, your reliable heart, your mental clarity or whatever else is threatened. YOU create new connections in the higher parts of the brain to cover the other ones up. Salute yourself EVERY time you do for awhile, meaning every time you go between any two meals without eating, etc. That doubles the new connections.

Have faith that no discomfort you have to go through is greater than the discomfort you are living with now and will in the future if you don't put the effort in. And enjoy every bite you DO eat.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Good for you, taking control of your health! How nice it is to have a Dr. with sensible advice. No S is great as is (vanilla) or with tweaks. And tweaks can be dropped or added as you see fit.

I also had a chocolate candy problem for many years, even at a normal weight. Back then, my motivation for eating it in small increments would be hating to go out to the store for more so soon. In more recent years, hating the weight gain, and the loss of control was frustrating in itself. But for the last six months, I have been able to eat it in small amounts for the first time, so you never know what will happen down the No S road. It just takes patience. I wish you the best!
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

bd88

Post by bd88 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Best of luck, Anne!
I also struggle with moderation, so I completely understand!
Luckily, I have found that sticking to the 3 meals even on S days (though I have only had 3 so far, so take with a grain of salt!) has made the most dramatic impact. I struggled with portion control before, but sticking to the one plate and no snacking has completely changed the game for me. I could've never imagined only eating chunks from a chocolate bar in the past, but I have effortlessly been able to eat small portions of things I would've easily binged before just by eating them with my meal and not eating again until the next mealtime.
I hope you are able to find success and that is sustainable for life! Come over to the daily check-in forum for accountability, too! And you can use it as a journal :)
Determined to break the diet mindset, confront my disordered eating, and embrace myself fully and unconditionally.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:27 am

How had your week gone? Or should I look at a personal thread for public accountability? Either way, we're on your side.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)