What's Your Favorite N-Day Lunch?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bd88

What's Your Favorite N-Day Lunch?

Post by bd88 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Happy Thursday, everyone!
I usually pack my breakfast and lunch for work at night, but I was so tired last night and only got around to packing breakfast this morning. I want to go out and grab lunch, but I am not sure where to go that is relatively inexpensive with normal-sized portions so I can stick to my one-plate meal. Chipotle used to be my go-to for a cheap meal, but I know it won't fit on a plate. I don't know if I am at the place now where I can just eat half and save the rest. I am afraid of having the temptation and going off the rails since I am still just getting started and have a history of binge eating.
Any ideas for where to go for lunch that has normal-sized portions and isn't super expensive?
Determined to break the diet mindset, confront my disordered eating, and embrace myself fully and unconditionally.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm probably too late but my lunch go to is Panera. I either get a bowl of soup with a piece of baguette or I'll get the cup of soup with half a salad.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:46 pm

I love Chipotle by the way. I usually eat all or almost all of my bowl and count it as one plate. I don't get chips though since starting no s because I would definitely stuff myself. I justify it becAuse its got your protein, starch, veg, and healthy fat ( guacamole). 😀
Maybe you could order off the kids menu to cut down on size?

bd88

Post by bd88 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks so much for replying! Unfortunately, I have a wheat allergy so I can't do Panera anymore (which SUCKS). You're definitely right about getting all the nutrition in the burrito bowls, but when I finish one, I am SO full afterwards. Like super stuffed, and I knew I didn't want to feel that way today.
I actually ended up going to Moe's since it's closer to my job. I got two tofu tacos and had the chips that came with it. It was definitely a bigger meal than I usually eat, but it all fit in their little basket, so I called it a plate. I didn't eat it all, but I left satisfied and comfortably full, which is my goal for my meals now.
I could've made a similar choice at Chipotle, so I know for the future that the tacos are a better option for me in terms of volume. Maybe it's because I didn't get the tacos with rice? Not sure, but they seemed to work out better for me in terms of post-meal comfort. I rarely ever eat out at lunch, though, so it seems okay to have a bigger-than-normal meal from time to time.
Also, I will definitely look at getting the kids' meal at Chipotle if I am in this situation again! I didn't even realize Chipotle has that.

Man, I am long-winded... sorry!
Determined to break the diet mindset, confront my disordered eating, and embrace myself fully and unconditionally.

Post by 1320401 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 pm

I'm a big fan of thinks like burritos, bowls, etc. without the starch. I prefer to fill up on added greens or added protein so asking for those items without the starchy component is my usual go-to.

In addition, and this is probably sacrilege, I will order pho or similar without the noodles. With lots of bean sprouts it's a really filling meal without the added overfull effect of the starchy part.

I should caveat, the above are my everyday choices (like a everyday work lunch or something), but if it is a more special occasion I don't make the fuss (even if it is a N day).

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:57 am

This won't help you right now, but for future reference:
My favorite lunch that packs in a tupperware container, and is great at room temp: a bed of ~8 oz shredded raw carrot, middle layer of ~8 oz pan braised or roasted eggplant with spices, top layer of ~4 oz cottage cheese mixed with 1 T olive oil, black pepper/paprika. I don't know why I find this so addictive, but it sticks to my ribs, is fairly healthy, and is easy to put together.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

bd88

Post by bd88 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks so much for the responses! May as well keep them coming, as I'm sure this will help lots of people with their lunch plans! :D