Grateful right now

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

splandrea

Grateful right now

Post by splandrea » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:16 am

I follow one of the Biggest Loser past contestants on facebook and tonight she posted a picture of her dinner and I realized how sad I felt for her, thinking she has to eat like a bird and exercise a lot every day in order to lose weight. She still has plenty to lose and I felt hopeless for her chances. I know she might have metabolism problems from being in that weight loss competition. I am making a mental note not to let the temptation of a fad diet or extreme plan make me stray from what I have found here. Of course right now I'm only on day 7 so I'm still pumped up and optimistic.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:34 pm

I can tell you that several years into No S some of my meals look very small compared to what they used to be. The difference is that I've got to this point by experience, not by imposition. I would not have been able to impose them on myself back then, though if I had had serious health problems, I hope I would have been able to.

Her metabolism issues are likely not because of the competition. Losing weight nearly always causes the metabolism to slow, whether it's done fast or slowly. That's why people who have been heavier usually have to eat less to maintain a lower weight than someone who has always been that weight. Tough to face, but true. The reason that slowly may work better is that it's easier to accept the changes in stages. However, people who have dire health conditions can lose weight quite quickly and maintain if they are committed to reversing the condition.

I hope you don't stray either, and vow to keep going and keep learning to adjust as you need to to support vitality, pleasure, and weight loss.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Elyssa

Post by Elyssa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:01 am

oolala53 wrote: Losing weight nearly always causes the metabolism to slow, whether it's done fast or slowly. That's why people who have been heavier usually have to eat less to maintain a lower weight than someone who has always been that weight. Tough to face, but true.
True that, true that! :lol:

I went off the rails just for a few days here, eating amounts of food my husband thinks are entirely normal, and I've blown back up like a balloon.
I often tell him, and really need to tell myself, that I really (really!) DO NOT need nearly as much food as I think. Seriously.

And I believe this is true for many of us. If not, hey - no weight problem!
It's always good to be grateful, though. Comparing ourselves to others whom we think are worse off can be an effective strategy... Sounds sad but it's true. Whatever it takes... :?
Ahh... relief!

"No S" has become the life-changing answer to my agonizing questions around food...

Trust in the wisdom of structure.

splandrea

Post by splandrea » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 am

I think what I was feeling when I wrote that was that I wished I could tell her about No-S because right now it feels like it was sent from heaven (lol) but feeling that after all of the years and effort she has put into that lifestyle, who am I to tell her to do something different?

Also seriously her plates consist of about 4 ounces of protein and like 5 asparagus stalks or 1/2 cup of broccoli.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:57 pm

You should see some of BrightAngel's plates, which she posts on her website, Diet Hobby. It's sobering. And she's willing to do it, because so far, it's that important to her. She knows an incredible amount about the "formerly morbidly obese," having been that and been determined NOT to be again. She says she is almost never really satisfied with the amount of food she eats, but she thinks that isn't as hard as the weight gain when she eats even a few hundred calories more every day. She did recently gain some and is now concentrating on an AVERAGE of 900 calories a day, all tracked as precisely as possible. Very disciplined, but in her experience and for her goals, it's necessary not to keep gaining back the weight. A common meme of hers is something like dieting is hard and being fat is hard: choose your hard. It's her hobby and she likes her hobby.

I like the hobby of posting here and on Spark, too.

We'll see what happens when diet fatigue hits the BL lady. No guarantee she won't get through it. People get it with No S, too. It's a pretty common phenomenon. Thankfully, it does respond to reason. Beck is good on it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)