New here....with a few questions :)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Merrygoround

New here....with a few questions :)

Post by Merrygoround » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:31 am

Hello. I have lost about 90lbs with a number of diets. I am now at about 24BMI, I am 56 years old, female. I lost the weight steadily over the last 3 years.

Now, although I would like to lose another 10lbs to get my 100 (wouldn’t we all like to lose another 10lbs!) I am actually very happy with this. However I need to learn how to maintain, as some of my diets have been quite extreme, and one cannot live like that long term. This is how I found no s, by googling diets for maintenance.

This seems very simple and I think I can do it long term. But I have a question. Since losing the weight I have joined a walking group. We hike all day sometimes, and go into the mountains. On Monday next week, I am going out for a hike over a mountain which will take us about 6-7 hours to complete. Normally we would have 3 or 4 stops for snacks along the way. Obviously I do not want to run out of fuel for what will be quite a strenuous day (over 3000 feet of ascent, about 10 miles very rough trails, 2 major river crossings) and I certainly do not want to compromise the group. What does one do n these situations? A weekend hike is simple, but weekdays?

And my next question.....if one is having soup and a roll for lunch, I assume the roll can be on a side plate? It doesn’t have to swim? :shock:

And finally, if one starts supper with a salad course or a light soup course, how does this work?

Thank you for you help.
Merry

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:30 am

Hi Merrygoround - congratulations on achieving a good level of fitness, as well as your weight loss.

I also go walking with a group. As I still have a few pounds to lose, I try to get some of my walking fuel from my body fat rather than by eating.

I don't eat unless I am hungry. No hunger means my body doesn't need extra fuel. So a lot of the time, when the group is having a snack I don't eat. No one ever says anything. However, if it is a tough walk requiring a lot of mental concentration for safety's sake, I may eat more often than normally.

If I do need to snack, I consider it an N day as long as I have planned ahead. It is the random snacking and eating when not hungry that derails habits and puts on weight. Sometimes I pack a big lunch, and divide it up between various eating times.

Nowadays, I can go a lot longer without eating, so even on a long walk I eat less often that I used to.

Enjoy those mountain views.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:55 pm

Thank you ladybird. That all makes sense. It’s eating when you actually need to, rather than just because. I shall have to think about this, I shall try and monitor how I actually feel this time. A handful of trail mix in my pocket will solve any potential difficulties, so I can wait until I really do need it. Lunch is lunch of course!

I am excited to start this. I want to live my life to the full, now I have lost the weight, to make up for the lost years.
Merry

Marina

Post by Marina » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Welcome Merrygoround!

I have hypoglycemia occasionally and i've been making No-S work for me by introducing a mod. Whenever i feel i'm getting really hungry and might feel bad i have a nuts portion to tide me over to my next meal. I used to have my nuts everyday around 4pm but now i only need to have them sometimes, usually when i miscalculate the amount i need to eat at lunch and have a smaller meal than i should've had in order not to be sick or when i do unexpected exercise and feel that if i don't eat i'll feel really bad.

Maybe you can have 4 meals on those days or have a bugger breakfast or something. I'd probably go with the bigger breakfast first and if it's not workings a handfull of nuts or a smoothie right before exercising.

elegantportions

Post by elegantportions » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Personally, I would focus on healthy and not worry about NoS. Count it an NWS Day if it makes you feel better. Very few people eat too much during an all day hike in the mountains (unless they have a pack animal carrying the food).

As for your other questions, no, your roll does not have to swim.
NoS book, p. 90: "If the soup is hearty, have a hunk of bread with it and call it a meal."

For courses, you use a technique Reinhard dubbed "virtual plating". You imagine your food fitting on a single regular-size plate, leaving enough room from the main course where your soup or salad would fit if eaten all at once from the same dish.
NoS book p. 88-89: "As long as what you're eating could fit on your imaginary plate, you're okay."
EP
5'5" Female Age 62
Dec 2018 Year 5 BMI = 25.8

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 pm

Thank you elegant portions. That was very helpful.

I really enjoyed my hike but my legs are tired now! You are right about the pack horse....I never thought about the extra weight of extra food! :lol:
What I did in the end was pack one hearty lunch, but made of small components! A couple of sandwiches, a piece of fruit, some trail mix, a few dates. I then had an extended lunch....spread over several hours! :lol:

When I got home, i was really hungry, I was seriously considering food in towers! What can you make a pile of on one plate!?! But actually once I started my quite normal supper (a stew that had been cooking in a slow cooker whilst I was out) I was fine. One plateful was fenough, albeit a large plateful.

I see the point of virtual plating, that makes sense. I can see I shall have to buy the book!

Hi Marina, thank you for dropping in. Hypoglycaemia must be tricky to manage with exercise.
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 pm

MerryGA, welcome! Looks like you got your questions answered. I'd like to add that when you're talking about salad-y stuff, I tend to pile that pretty high because of the greens. Not everyone seems very attached to veggies. I gots to get my chewing in! If I did it on the dense stuff, my body would be in very different shape.

I've been at this awhile and can now go on quite long walks/hikes with no variation to the meal structure. I sometimes get pretty hungry, but not usually. A year ago in September, I impulsively stopped at Yosemite on the way back from NoCal and hiked for 14 miles with no meal deviation. My thighs attested to the fact that the body did not run out of fuel; there were and are still several thousand calories stored there, God bless 'em.

I'm not sure where Reinhard commented on it, but I'm pretty sure he surmised that farming is very hard work and even before labor saving devices, it's unlikely they stopped every few hours to eat pre- or post workout carbs or protein or whatever, not having the advice of modern bodybuilders to tell them how to shed fat and build muscle. I think they cared only about getting the work done and eating enough later. They got a LOT of work done.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merrygoround

Post by Merrygoround » Tue May 01, 2018 1:16 am

oolala53 wrote:
I'm not sure where Reinhard commented on it, but I'm pretty sure he surmised that farming is very hard work and even before labor saving devices, it's unlikely they stopped every few hours to eat pre- or post workout carbs or protein or whatever, not having the advice of modern bodybuilders to tell them how to shed fat and build muscle. I think they cared only about getting the work done and eating enough later. They got a LOT of work done.
I read about people in Tibet, or somewhere else in the Himalaya, having 2 meals a day of rice and legumes, pus a few veges on the side if they had them. The author spent a number of weeks trekking with the villagers, as they lived their lives, and at first was VERY hungry, particularly at lunch time. But they soon settled into it, lost weight, gained enormous amounts of fitness, and generally had a good time.

It’s a thought. I think I think about food all together too much.....
Merry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:15 am

Slim cultures think about food, too. They remember good meals and look forward to them, too. They think of it as part of the food experience. But they also don't value overeating, so the thinking is not fraught with guilt or regret. It's probably why they can also let the thoughts go and get on to other topics-which they might obsess over... :wink:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)