Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-Vanilla No Sers: what are your tweaks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k1dub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Non-Vanilla No Sers: what are your tweaks? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing smaller plates for 1-2 meals a day while still doing Vanilla No-S. What do you do to tweak the plan to work for you?

Committed 7.12.16 | Vanilla No S
LifeisaBlessing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi k1dub! Smile

My mod was/is to eat three meals/plates a day of any food--no restrictions. Instead of weekend "S" days, I simply eat this way seven days a week. I got the idea for this mod from NoS member "3-0-7 girl." Smile

~Jimmy Dean
Bluebell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only mod I have needed is no snacking at all, even on S days. This has helped my keep my S days reasonably well under control. I do still have a tendency to go a bit crazy at mealtimes on S days, I allow myself sweets and seconds and sometimes eat mindlessly- I have come to the conclusion I need this release though. Its only 2 days a week and somehow by Monday I am back into N days with no problem.
Edit - I am definitely a vanilla No Ser so maybe I don't fit the criteria, oops!
Skycat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only mod is to allow fruit. When I have fruit with a meal I don't virtual plate it, I just have however much I want directly after the meal. I also allow myself to eat fruit between meals without calling it a red day (although I don't do this very rarely and try very hard to stick to only eating fruit with meals).
RhiVir2016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do 4 days where I eat 2 plates a day only (Mon-Thurs, my work days). I'm still not losing! It's a work in progress - I might adopt the idea of not snacking on S days.
Whosonfirst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhiVir2016 wrote:
I do 4 days where I eat 2 plates a day only (Mon-Thurs, my work days). I'm still not losing! It's a work in progress - I might adopt the idea of not snacking on S days.

Why not start a daily check in to give members an idea of your meals, S-days and activities? Do you have a sedentary job, etc? In my case, losing wt. is helped with walking regularly, but everyone is different.
babybird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhiVir2016
I would also agree with the previous poster. How about having a daily check in where u write down what your eating at meals. That way some posters can guide you if needed. They r a very supportive bunch!!

Been one year almost aiming for 21day challenge
Selcazare

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few mods mostly because No S has been my default for a while. I only eat two meals + coffee with coconut milk every day—even on S days and I don't snack. Even on S day I try to keep my sugar consumption very low (preferably none at all). 90% of my meals are Whole 30/paleo because I feel excellent eating that way and the health results are too good to give up. This may look like a diet to other people but I've naturally made my way here and feel really good about it, especially now that the weight is coming off consistently.
osoniye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes "trade" a weekend day for a weekday NWS day if there is nothing going on, on the weekend, but I'm having a social event during the week. These "trades" work for me in a way that "floating S days" did not!
ladybird30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main mod is that I've decided to stick to three meals a day on S days. I've been doing this for nearly 3 months. Doing 3 meals every day has made getting the habit much easier.
k1dub

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I like the 3 meal S day idea. Did you see increased losses from it?

Committed 7.12.16 | Vanilla No S
ladybird30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I started 3 meals a day on No S, I was having a period of disordered eating again during which I put back the weight I had lost on previous months of Nos. So going to 3 meals allowed me to get my eating back in order, stop putting on weight, and start losing slowly.
Lin21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following Ladybird30 and Lifeisablessing I have similar tweaks. I have 3 meals a day, every day of the week. Anything is allowed on my plate, including sweets and snack foods, but I keep those "treats" to a small percentage, not my entire meal. (I'd like to say I use the 90/10 rule, but sometimes it's 97/3 and other times it's 81/19 LOL!)

Also, the majority of my meals are home cooked and include a fresh fruit or vegetable/salad, protein, starch, & fat. I find eating well-balanced meals most of the time keeps me energized and satisfied for several hours.

I am only losing about 2-2.5 pounds a month (I am on month 3 of really being committed) but as I see from others that have long-term success with no-s, that I should be happy with slow but steady losses.

For major holidays and extra special social occasions, I plan to take "S events" which should not derail me as they are few and far between.

Although you will see I joined here a LONG time ago, I have had many failed attempts over the years before recently committing again 3 months ago. I am feeling very comfortable with these tweaks as strict Vanilla did not work for me in the past and resulted in throwing in the towel after a couple weeks each time. This time making it my own is hopefully what makes it stick. Trying to remember perfection is the enemy of progress!
lin47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing 2 meals a day and trying to keep obvious carbs to a minimum on weekdays.

I'd like to eliminate snacks on weekends as snacking is a really bad habit for me, and I think I'd conquer it faster if I eliminated it completely. Snacking always makes me feel out of control.
ladybird30

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lin21 - glad that 3 meals a day are working for you. Your balanced meals sound very much like mine.
SpiritSong

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. My S-Days are Friday and Sunday so I don't miss out on breakfast day at work.

2. This week, I started the 16/8 fasting plan, so I don't have breakfast until 16 hours after dinner. Except for Friday's breakfast day. Very Happy
Elizabeth 7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) My S days are Tuesdays and Saturdays (I could choose Wednesday instead of Tuesday if I wanted, but I've been consistent with Tuesdays. One weekend S day and one weekday S day. That way, I don't miss out on treats every single weekday, and there are never more than three days 'til my next S day.)

2) It's not no sweets for me; it's "no desserts." This clarifies things for me extremely well. I never wonder about yogurt, or jelly, or granola bars, or even what breakfast cereal I choose. It's NOT "no sweets"- it's "no desserts." I realize it doesn't have the same alliteration, but it works for me. And, I should clarify that this ("desserts") includes sugary drinks with calories for me; no hot chocolate, coffee with cream and sugar and the like. Those are s day treats only for me.
navi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing 3 meals a day 7 days a week, but I can have sweets if I want to. I don't have a sweet tooth, so a bite of dessert or a single mint does the trick, but 80% of the time I don't have any sweets at a meal. When I restricted sweets to the weekends it made me crave something that I don't usually care about, which seemed counterproductive (I was already moderate around sweets so why mess with it?). Therefore, I don't worry about that rule. I will also on occasion have a small dessert or a cookie or a bit of ice cream in the evening with a cup of tea before bed. Again, this is not everyday, but once in a while I indulge. I might also have an occasional cracker or two if I am starving in the afternoon, or a banana or nuts. So, all in all I am using the spirit of NoS but in sort of a loose way that works beautifully for me. In the 10 weeks I've been doing this I've gone somewhat overboard on 3 weekends, and I counted each as a yellow. Besides that I've been doing great. I've slowly been losing, 11 pounds so far, which comes out to about 1 lb per week. I'm very happy with that rate of weight loss, and extremely happy with how easy it has been for me. Vanilla noS just never worked for me (I've been lurking here for years), as it was restrictive in a way that I pushed back against. For the record, I am post-menopausal, short, and have about 40 more pounds to lose. My diet tends towards vegetarian-Mediterranean with lots of fresh veggies, fruits, beans, and a moderate amount of carbs. I've always eaten healthy foods because that's what I like to eat - but too often and too much. Sticking primarily to one plate meals (usually virtual plating) has made all the difference. I also stopped trying to make breakfast "the most important meal of the day", as I just don't like to eat in the morning. I find that eating more in the morning just makes me hungrier at lunch. So I've gone back to eating toast and coffee in the morning, which is all I really want, and I think this has contributed to the weight loss.
oolala53

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

previous thread dedicated to this topic

https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2527
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but harder to maintain)
Dec/17 23.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
ironchef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 5 years, I've decided recently to try a mod for S days - tracking.

I recently did a few weeks of tracking what I ate to work out where my dietary defaults were letting me down (and to find out why my work trousers were getting tight). Culprits turned out to be alcoholic beverages and too-big dinner plates and bowls.

Anyway, I've decided not to continue tracking, as it is something I started No S to get away from. However, I did find out during this experiment that I really enjoyed my S days. Something about writing down (well, recording in my phone app, but you know what I mean) what I was eating on weekends, even though there was no rules or limits, meant that I avoided the mindless snackathons that I find so dreary and unsatisfying.

So, I'm going to continue (for now) just recording what I eat on S days, while the rest of the week is vanilla No S. Still allowing any S's I want, but just making a record of them. After 5.5 years, I feel like I'm ready for my S days to be really enjoyable, and this seems like a reasonable compromise. If I get sick of it after a while, I can always stop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: