Britt's Daily Check-In (Take 2!)

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bd88

Britt's Daily Check-In (Take 2!)

Post by bd88 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Well... I am back to No-S after trying out a different WOE that is similar but hasn't given me as much success. I left No-S because I was disappointed by the slow weight loss, but I underestimated how much No-S improved the quality of my life. I did lose weight much quicker on the other plan, but No-S truly was best for me in feeling in control of my eating. When I felt myself inching back into binge mode, I knew it was time to circle back here. I'm back with some modifications.

Monthly goal:
Every other month, I focus on health/fitness and on the other months, I focus on weight loss. This helps me focus on building habits without the self-imposed mental pressure of wanting to lose a certain amount of weight in a certain amount of time, and then I spend the next month maintaining those habits and tightening up my diet to drop weight.

Daily goal:
Follow No-S but with 2 meals per day. The first meal will be around 1:00 PM and the second around 6:00 PM. I will also stick to two square meals on weekends as well, though they may not be at those times, and I will add a dessert to the meals if I want them. I'm much better off without snacks or seconds altogether, but I will play special occasions by ear.

HabitCal for No-S, binge-free days, and fitness tracking

SW: 153
CW: 153
GWR: 125-129

Non-scale victories/benefits of No-S observed so far (from my last thread):
No constant, nagging "hunger"
I can tell when I am experiencing actual hunger vs psychological hunger
A sense of calm when experiencing hunger (hunger was an "emergency" in the past)
Stronger mental resolve to combat binges/binging behavior
Savings (less extra food/snacks = more $ and smaller eco footprint)
I actually had leftovers make it to the next day instead of wrapping them up just to eat them later in the day
Less obsession with perfection - easier to move on from mistakes
Last edited by bd88 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Determined to break the diet mindset, confront my disordered eating, and embrace myself fully and unconditionally.

bd88

Post by bd88 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Monthly Goals

August 2017:
Clock 10K steps on weekdays
Resistance training 3x/week
Leisurely weekend walks/yoga/anything active
Last edited by bd88 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Determined to break the diet mindset, confront my disordered eating, and embrace myself fully and unconditionally.

splandrea

Post by splandrea » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Good luck! =D
07/01/17: 258
Current: 238
Aiming for 180. We shall see...

bd88

Post by bd88 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:54 pm

splandrea wrote:Good luck! =D
Thank you!

bd88

Post by bd88 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Yesterday was a success!
Eating substantial meals has already cut down exponentially my desire to snack between/after. I thought for sure that I would be itching for a late night snack, but I didn't even think about food after dinner. I think it helped that I had a protein shake with dinner, too, so I may keep that up. I need it anyway as a vegan.

bd88

Post by bd88 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Yesterday was a stupid S-day for me. I was doing well, and then because I was busy, I didn't get a chance to make a plated dinner. I didn't think it would matter, but then I ended up shoveling snacks in all night before bed. This is just another reminder that I NEED to stick to plated substantial meals to stop the mindless eating/binges EVERYDAY!

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Yes, I find the same. Making proper meals is essential for me even if I don't want to.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

bd88

Post by bd88 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Ladybird, exactly! And I need to make sure I eat enough at those meals, too. I struggle with that as a vegan because you can get full on so few calories when you're eating whole vegan foods. I'm working on it.

Two stupid S-days in a row, so I am definitely happy to be back to the normalcy of an N-day today!

bd88

Post by bd88 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Yesterday was a success! Love N-days!
I remembered that I usually have success with avoiding late night hunger by having a protein shake with dinner. I had one last night and will continue to do so from now on during the week.

bd88

Post by bd88 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Another success yesterday!
I don't have much of an appetite today because I'm feeling a bit down (likely TOM-related), but I am still going to try to eat something at mealtime. I have a bad habit of not eating when I don't feel up to it and then binging all night because I didn't eat and am starving.

bd88

Post by bd88 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 pm

More success yesterday, but I had to move my workout days around this week due to being too fatigued to do much yesterday. Things are going really well. I forgot how easy no-S really is! I'm craving breakfast for lunch today, so I will likely have waffles, grits, and toast.

bd88

Post by bd88 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Was gone for a while because I began my doctoral program and had a week of 12-hour days. Finally done with that, and I'm ready to get back on track with August goals. I haven't departed at all from no-S, but my August fitness goals were put on hold for last week since I knew I would be way too exhausted (and I definitely was)! I have visibly lost inches, so I am excited to get back on the fitness train tomorrow and through the end of the month.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Congratulations on sticking with ordered eating at such a busy time.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

bd88

Post by bd88 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks so much, ladybird!

Yesterday was a success, though I did look longingly at some graham crackers after dinner for about 2 seconds.
I am really loving being back into the swing of things with no-S, and I should be joining the 21 club this Thursday!
I'm also back on track fitness-wise, and I am adding on a plank and pushup challenge as well for the rest of the month. I am looking forward to next week's weigh-in. I am hoping to be below 150 by then, but I am not sweating it too much. I have definitely lost inches and was able to comfortably put on my mini goal size 8 jeans last week. I am not going to start wearing them until my current size 10s are much too loose to wear without looking sloppy, and I am pretty sure that will happen by the end of September at the latest because they are pretty roomy now. At that point I will donate my size 10s and replace them with size 8s. And I will likely keep one size 10 just in case. I know I will be successful with no-S, but I just want to make sure I actually stick with it. I have given away my wardrobe so many times in the past just to end up gaining all the weight back and having to buy all new clothes.

bd88

Post by bd88 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:15 pm

Another success all around yesterday, and I just finished a workout that kicked my butt. I love feeling stronger!

I am considering actually recording the things I eat everyday next month to see if I notice any patterns. September will be a weight loss-focused month, so I am going to be maintaining my current fitness regimen and making changes to my food intake to see some good losses. I'm really enjoying seeing the changes in my body.

bd88

Post by bd88 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:49 pm

The past two days have been a success, and I finally made it into the 21 club!
Based on my schedule, I modified my weekly S-days to Thursdays and Saturdays. My Thursdays are 10-hour school days, and I just knew that it would be hard for me to stick strictly to N-day eating on those days. I tend to do most of my eating out/sweet eating on Saturday naturally, so it was a no-brainer to switch out Sundays for Thursdays.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:35 pm

Kudos! Saw your post on the 21-day thread but decided to come here so I would get updates.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

bd88

Post by bd88 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:33 am

Hi again, oolala! Thanks so much!

Unfortunately, today was a red one for me. I really wanted a scoop of ice cream today and it's not an S-day. Ah well. I wanted it and had it. I'm hoping tomorrow will be the start of another successful 21 days! I would love to be a repeat club member :)

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:38 am

Congrats on the 21 day club! Good for you!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

bd88

Post by bd88 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks, Merry!
Yesterday was a success, though I ended up having 3 N-day meals instead of 2 because I was hungrier than usual (probably because I was ovulating). I'm fasting until dinner today to balance it out.