Longterm Change

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Fluffy

Longterm Change

Post by Fluffy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been quietly following this board for a while and thought I'd finally join. I am in my mid 30ies and currently weigh around 185 lbs/5'6. I have - as most of here I guess - been on countless eating and diet plans before - only to gain more and more weight. I have gained about 50lbs in the last two years due to binge eating and promising myself that I'll start tomorrow. I tend to binge knowing that tomorrow I have to restrict at least somewhat to lose weight. I have tried counting calories over and over but I cannot keep it up. I have a family to take care of and can't be bothered trying to measure out everything. There has got to be an easier way.

I hope I can implement No S and get into a better mindset.

Thanks for this great forum. I think I will stay away from the scale for a while and see if I can just be consistent with this.

splandrea

Post by splandrea » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 am

Hi there! And good luck - though you won't need it. :). Just think of it as a lifetime thing and it's extremely easy and pretty lenient. NO DIET MINDSET ALLOWED! Lol. I have lost 5 pounds in 7 weeks, so it's not fast, but I feel free from the chains of binging. I have eaten a lot on an s day, but I have never had those self deprecating binge thoughts.
07/01/17: 258
Current: 238
Aiming for 180. We shall see...

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks so much!!! Sounds like you are doing really well. 5 lbs in 7 weeks is great considering how sane this approach is and that you can indulge too.

I weighed in at 188 lbs YIKES. I shoot for 21 days before weighing in again. I am modifying as in allowing myself sweets in small quantities whenever I want but having it be part of a meal. I am worried that I go crazy on S days and start "last chance eating". So my plan is to eat the same no matter what day it is.

Day 1 is going well so far!!! Went for a walk and had yummy food.