Eating so much less food

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

splandrea

Eating so much less food

Post by splandrea » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:38 pm

During N days, I am eating so much less food than I used to that I scared myself this week wondering if I might have another eating disorder. I have (had?) binge eating disorder (which I did not realize until NoS) and now I scare myself because I am perfectly fine and not at all hungry sometimes until Noon-2 pm. That might not seem like much, but we eat dinner at 5 pm and I am in bed by 8 pm. I wake up at 3 am. At first I was trying to hold out until 8 am to eat breakfast (of course there is milky coffee upon waking up) but now I am inadvertently fasting for 19 hours on some days. On days that I do eat breakfast on time, I end up sometimes not eating after lunch.

IS THIS NORMAL? Am I just freaking out? I swear I am not doing it on purpose (except when I am doing something fun and I don't want to stop to eat). I don't want to go into "starvation mode" either - another concern that I am not sure is unfounded ?

Please tell me if you have experienced any of this stuff.

Also S days are uncontrolled but not wild. I am also not as hungry on S days but tend to eat a bunch of snacks all day instead of meals so I should probably reign that in or figure it out - later.
07/01/17: 258
Current: 238
Aiming for 180. We shall see...

Lady Brachiosaur

Post by Lady Brachiosaur » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Honestly, starvation mode is something that occurs when you literally starve. An average human can go about three weeks without food before the cannibalism of your own tissues kills you. Some hours without food isn't going to put you into starvation mode or ruin your metabolism or any other fatlogic/dieting world excuse.

I will say that I skip breakfast (7am wish) and often don't get hungry until 2pm. Its easier to not start eating than it is to stop eating. I would say that as long as you are eating substantial meals and you are listening to your hunger cues then you should be fine from a physical health view.

However, you seem a bit concerned/distressed about it as a behaviour. To that I would say set yourself a timer or reminder for lunch time and use that to have a small lunch at what you think is a reasonable time. You can train yourself into eating at certain times the same way No S will train you out of eating constantly. It seems to me that you've just overshot the original intention and now need to dial it back, oscillating around the end goal as such

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:05 am

No there is nothing wrong. You are fine. Your body is tapping into its reserves. You just never needed all the food you thought it you did. It was habit and a ton of other cues we have to eat.

The body will react to eating less in a variety of ways, most of them beneficial for longevity. I think there is definitely an advantage to having S days a little more "full, " so the metabolism keeps having to adjust down and up.

Just keep going!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)