Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does No S really work? I need some inspiration!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
minkalue



Joined: 18 Sep 2012
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Does No S really work? I need some inspiration! Reply with quote

Hi! I really think this is the best way of eating for me. I am a chronic dieter. Yo-yo er with weight loss success and the. Gains. I absolutely hate the idea of eliminating any particular food group and I can't stand logging. No S is my only hope... but every time I start, after a few days I think "oh this isn't going to work.... in fact I'll gain weight..." so I give up.

Can you please give me some inspiration? Tell me that this works and I will believe you!

Thank you!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Merry



Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 1460

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the book? I found it was hard for me to really "buy in" until I read the book.

But yes, it can really work. I've lost about between 27-28 lbs. in a year and a half. I started and stopped too (and ended up doing more yo-yo dieting and gaining more weight in the process--and wish I had just stuck with No-S, even if I wasn't losing at the time). Read the thread about "why did you leave/come back" and you'll read all kinds of stories like yours and mine--people who left for better/faster losses & who came back heavier, wishing they had just stuck with No-S!

If you don't lose after several months, or if you start to plateau, then examine why. No-S isn't fast or flashy, and I do think it's an eating plan that needs TIME to measure it's effectiveness. I can lose, plateau for a bit, lose some more...one month I gained but I knew I was really loading my plates that month too. Focus on getting N-day habits in place for three or so months and see what happens. Can you really be worse off than yo-yo dieting again?

Welcome!
_________________
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.

28.5 lbs. down, 34.5 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.

"...slim cultures...value not overeating. They don't eat more of a food just because it's good. They enjoy the food more."--Oolala
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minkalue



Joined: 18 Sep 2012
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: thanks so much Reply with quote

thanks for your reply. I do have the book, it made a lot of sense. I will read the posts too. you're right, I can give it 3 months and see what happens Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whosonfirst



Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Posts: 251
Location: Pennsylvania-U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Does No S really work? I need some inspiration! Reply with quote

minkalue wrote:
Hi! I really think this is the best way of eating for me. I am a chronic dieter. Yo-yo er with weight loss success and the. Gains. I absolutely hate the idea of eliminating any particular food group and I can't stand logging. No S is my only hope... but every time I start, after a few days I think "oh this isn't going to work.... in fact I'll gain weight..." so I give up.

Can you please give me some inspiration? Tell me that this works and I will believe you!

Thank you!!!

Seriously, you're here almost five years?
_________________
Weekly goal = Five Green days in a row. I do a BMI check by looking in a mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minkalue



Joined: 18 Sep 2012
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Yes @Whoseonfirst. Thanks for the support !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whosonfirst



Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Posts: 251
Location: Pennsylvania-U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Yes Reply with quote

minkalue wrote:
Yes @Whoseonfirst. Thanks for the support !

If you've been here for five years, reading the words of dozens of people who post their successes and failures(me included on the latter), then what else do you need?
I am deadly serious about this. I know it's a damn struggle with eating disorders, job /family stressors, you name it. Please take this to heart, and look in the mirror(figuratively) and get serious about what you want to accomplish. Other's words and attaboys or -girls will only last as long as it takes to log off of your computer or i-phone.

We have to take personal responsibility for our own actions. Please don't say you're going to give it three months, and then disappear again. Start a daily or at least a weekly log and hold yourself responsible. I'll gladly be cheering you onward, unless of course you don't want me to interact with you from here on. That's okay too. If you're angry at me, then use that as motivation and tell me to get lost, then get busy.
_________________
Weekly goal = Five Green days in a row. I do a BMI check by looking in a mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7960
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No S can work if you are enthused by the idea of moderation, eventually on most days of the year. It is not something that responds to losing weight by a certain date. It works by a person discovering over time that she actually enjoys her overall life better when she's not eating as much as she used to, when she doesn't get as full as often, etc. It might be that she ends up eating better quality food, too. Less packaged manufactured food, less intensely salty or sweet food. But the first goal line is limiting oneself to the plate and fasting between meals. Even that can be done in stages, if need be.

With some downs and ups and downs, I lost about 22% of my weight over a couple of years and mostly maintained for four years, then lost another 10 in the last year or so, but that was from additional changes I made for health reasons. However, I was not terribly overweight in my youth and it wasn't until middle age that I got up into the low obese range. But I never had very good eating habits, at least for any length of time, and they got worse until I surrendered to No S.
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 63 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Mar/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.


Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TexArk



Joined: 27 Dec 2008
Posts: 693
Location: Foothills of the Ozarks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"surrendered to NoS"

another truth from oolala
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leVictoria



Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 56
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@texark Focus on loving yourself too. Could you be self sabotaging?
_________________
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 202.2
Total: -2.4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TexArk



Joined: 27 Dec 2008
Posts: 693
Location: Foothills of the Ozarks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the world would you get the idea that I was self sabotaging?
edited to say: Reread your post. Perhaps you are saying that the OP might be self sabotaging.

I have been at this a long time and I see so many people that are in a state of denial. NoS works if you surrender to it in the words of oolala. If you try to game the system you are going to be spinning your wheels at best.

The first step as we have all said is to get the 3 meals, no snacks, no sweets habit in place. For some that takes a long time. For others, they just don't want to accept that and will ever be searching for a way to eat without any portion control. After the habit is established, then you can move on to moderate S Day meals. Most of us have found that we can undo an entire week's worth of N Days by having those out of control S Days. If the bingeing is going to stop, it has to be faced. Then worked on. It is work. And it takes time for most of us.

I promise you will not starve to death in between meals. This constant feeding is a modern phenomenon. Your body will never go to its fat stores for energy when it has plenty of glucose on hand.

It has taken me a long time to come to terms with reality, but I think NoS is a big dose of reality! So yes, surrender to it and as oolala also said you will come to enjoy having that light feeling and the other benefits from eating in this way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minkalue



Joined: 18 Sep 2012
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Surrendered to No S Reply with quote

Thanks all for the support, tough love, and insight. I can't believe I've been lurking here for five years! That was a big jolt of reality. Basically circling the drain for five years. On 8/18 I surrendered to No S. My problems have been perfection, impatience, and fear.

Perfection - if I have a red day I quit.

Impatience- if I don't see immediate results I quit.

Fear- if I gain weight I quit.

So in the last two weeks I've persevered even when I had a red day (which could have been an S day because I was on vacation!)

I've realized that snacking makes me feel gross.

And sugar makes me feel bad.

So the S days haven't been gorge fests at all.

So I'm committing to this.

Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7960
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've learned a lot! Kudos.
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 63 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Mar/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leVictoria



Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 56
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexArk wrote:
Where in the world would you get the idea that I was self sabotaging?
edited to say: Reread your post. Perhaps you are saying that the OP might be self sabotaging.



Oh, dear. No. What I was being a total ding dong. I actually meant this for the original poster not you. Moving too fast... Very Happy
_________________
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 202.2
Total: -2.4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whosonfirst



Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Posts: 251
Location: Pennsylvania-U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Surrendered to No S Reply with quote

minkalue wrote:
Thanks all for the support, tough love, and insight. I can't believe I've been lurking here for five years! That was a big jolt of reality. Basically circling the drain for five years. On 8/18 I surrendered to No S. My problems have been perfection, impatience, and fear.

Perfection - if I have a red day I quit.

Impatience- if I don't see immediate results I quit.

Fear- if I gain weight I quit.

So in the last two weeks I've persevered even when I had a red day (which could have been an S day because I was on vacation!)

I've realized that snacking makes me feel gross.

And sugar makes me feel bad.

So the S days haven't been gorge fests at all.

So I'm committing to this.

Thanks again.

Good to see you getting up off the mat. Almost everyone on here has many of these days.
_________________
Weekly goal = Five Green days in a row. I do a BMI check by looking in a mirror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tobiasmom



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1341
Location: Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes Reply with quote

Whosonfirst wrote:
minkalue wrote:
Yes @Whoseonfirst. Thanks for the support !

If you've been here for five years, reading the words of dozens of people who post their successes and failures(me included on the latter), then what else do you need?
I am deadly serious about this. I know it's a damn struggle with eating disorders, job /family stressors, you name it. Please take this to heart, and look in the mirror(figuratively) and get serious about what you want to accomplish. Other's words and attaboys or -girls will only last as long as it takes to log off of your computer or i-phone.

We have to take personal responsibility for our own actions. Please don't say you're going to give it three months, and then disappear again. Start a daily or at least a weekly log and hold yourself responsible. I'll gladly be cheering you onward, unless of course you don't want me to interact with you from here on. That's okay too. If you're angry at me, then use that as motivation and tell me to get lost, then get busy.



Wow! These words are exactly what I needed to hear even though I am not the original poster. I have been on these boards for seven years through pregnancy and all kinds of life changes. I need to take responsibility for my actions and stop committing and breaking the promises I make myself. Thank you for your honesty.
_________________
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys
Committed to No-S, period!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7960
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I truly got that my overeating wasn't going to stop on its own, that no diet or eating plan was going to make it completely easy, that it was unlikely that I wouldn't still have inopportune urges to eat, possibly for longer than I wanted to, and when I saw that No S was so reasonable, it became doable.

If you don't do it, you'll never know.
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 63 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Mar/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum