s day (caused me to lose all progress...discouraged).

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

rkseeley

s day (caused me to lose all progress...discouraged).

Post by rkseeley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:25 pm

I was doing great and then saturday and sunday arrived. I had sweets on those two days but nothing extreme, just a little pie. It ruined all progress. I had lost a little and because of that little bit of pie I was right back where I started! Very discouraging. :( Has anyone had the same experience?

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 pm

So you started NoS when exactly? 8/29? Following vanilla NoS, using what modif's.? Hard to tell from a little pie. Don't look at this as a short term plan, take the long view. I think if someone weighs themself on a Friday, and then indulges somewhat on two S-days, and hops on a scale, it shouldn't be a surprise if you've gained a pound or three.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Lots of things can cause weight fluctuations on the scale, rk. Please don't give up! Just keep going and get those green n days down pat and give it time. :D

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:00 pm

When I first started I weighed daily and calculated an average. My weight was lowest every Friday and then up every Monday. By a fair bit. However, the long term trend was pretty much always down. Long term I lost at about 1/2-1/4 kg per week, and this slow loss was completely obscured by the 1kg jumps I did over the weekend.

That's a long way of saying "yes, that happens to me". Hang in there, form a good habit of moderate eating and don't let one Monday weigh in get you down. We'll be cheering for you!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:34 am

Would it be possible to try to let go of the weight loss aspect for a bit? I know it's probably why you came, but I've seen so many get derailed when this kind of things happens.

There are very few No S-ers that I know of that had steady weight loss week after week. I had some, then stalled, then some, etc. It might take a few months to learn what your baseline is so you can then make adjustments.

This is a process that takes months, not days or weeks. And even then, it has to go on as a lifestyle.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Re: s day (caused me to lose all progress...discouraged).

Post by Merry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:00 am

rkseeley wrote:I was doing great and then saturday and sunday arrived. I had sweets on those two days but nothing extreme, just a little pie. It ruined all progress. I had lost a little and because of that little bit of pie I was right back where I started! Very discouraging. :( Has anyone had the same experience?
In my experience, weight can fluctuate for all kinds of reasons, and I don't trust any one day's weight measurement. I'm always lower on Fridays and higher on Mondays--sometimes extra salt on the weekends causes water retention, sometimes the bowels need a day or two to clear out and equalize again after eating more food, etc... Friday losses can be real or can be dehydration (less water over the week from lower food content).

You really can't tell much one week in. I would focus on good, solid N-day habits for a couple of months. Don't sweat the S-days--if you lose a pound during the week, you'd have to eat 3500 additional calories (in addition to the 1200-1800-ish per day that your system requires for maintenance) to actually gain that pound back. While that's not impossible, it also wouldn't look like only a piece of pie each day (unless those are super-big pieces!).

Then, look at the trends over time. I actually decided, when I started No-S this time around, that I would give it 3 months, and then if I wasn't losing, to start tweaking things. This is a slow & steady wins the race kind of diet. I knew I was ready for sustainable changes--I had done many yo-yo diets (in fact, I started No-S in 2008 and left when I wasn't losing--I think I'd tried it for about a month or so--and did the yo-yo diet thing until November of 2015.) I can lose more weight faster doing other diets. The problem is, as soon as I stop a diet, I gain it all back and more. When I restarted, I weighed quite a bit more than I did in 2008. Wish I had just stuck with it, focused on good N-day habits, and given it a real try.

Hang in there!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:54 am

I have actually found this thread really helpful! I am 11 months in and weight loss has not been happening for the past month or so. Great to be reminded of all the sensible reasons above to stick with it, and not get disheartened. This is for life, anything else leads to madness (for me at least!)
As everyone else has said rk, just give it time. And lots of it. This really does work if you give it a good chance. Good luck.
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:05 pm

How did your week go?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)