New and seeking your opinions

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lynn47

New and seeking your opinions

Post by Lynn47 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Hello, I am new to No S and hoping to gather some opinions/input from so many of you sucessful long-time No Sers. I have devoured this site, listened to many of the podcasts and read the book. I am SOLD completely on this system, however I have some "real life" issues that may make it difficult for me to stick with the standard 3 meals a day, although I do know the number of meals has not been specified in the book on purpose but not sure if my current meal schedule will lead to weight loss.

Here are my challenges:

I need a little something early in the morning, almost always just fruit, before I go for my walk, but cannot eat a full breakfast that early, and then am hungry for a meal of two eggs and toast or a piece of quiche, about two hours later. I guess this would fall under "virtual plating?" but it is in reality 2 eating events or two morning meals.

Secondly, dinners with my family have become EXTREMELY stressful lately due to some changes in personal family member's circumstances,
and I can barely eat due to the stress of the dinner table moods/conversations, so I have been serving myself a small amount of food, but usually barely touch it most days, just pick at it so I feel I am participating in the meal without everyone questioning why I am not eating. Announcing I am too stressed to eat with them will just elevate everyone else's stress, and I certainly do not want to add to it! So, not eating dinner at all with my family is NOT an option.

So I struggle with hunger later on close to bedtime, and have been having a small balanced meal then in addition to my just a few bites of dinner with family. (It's amazing how pushing food around on your plate makes it look like you ate more than you really did...)

Any thoughts if this may or may not work within the NO S framework?

So to summarize, this is what my N days look like:

1. Early am - piece of fruit
2. Breakfast (usually two eggs and toast, or piece of quiche, or a small sandwich)
3. Lunch
4. Dinner with family - barely touch it, few bites, sometimes more.
5. Bedtime meal - sandwich, or peanut butter toast, or oatmeal, or leftover supper reheated.

So in reality that is 5 eating "events" per day and feel like it's too much to lose weight - any comments? Not sure how I can adjust this but anyone have suggestions? I refuse to go back to anything close to "calorie accounting" or any food group eliminating....so No S seems my best option just want to make sure I am headed for sucess but need help with these challenges.
Lynn

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:39 pm

You can try it and see.

I'm sorry things are so stressful. Best wishes that they get easier.

splandrea

Post by splandrea » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:00 am

I would try it as well. You are still cutting out sugar and that's huge.
07/01/17: 258
Current: 238
Aiming for 180. We shall see...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:24 am

May I ask why you need the fruit before your walk? It's become quite common to work out "fasted" these days.

That being asked, these sound credible as reasons to consider that you're easing yourself into Vanilla, which is a valid way to approach No S. The point is to stick to the small amounts. The more often you eat, the smaller the amounts need to be at each event. But don't make every one of them really small. You deserve to feel you've had a real meal at some point. Allow yourself about a month to see if things calm down at the dinner table and adjust. It might take a little doing to let go of that later eating, but it's something most of us have done in some way. It's not as if this all has to get done in some 12-week makeover. A year from now it won't make a lot of difference if you have 9 months or 12 of compliance. Just keep going at your version of moderation.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:27 am

Technically, No S as written doesn't state a number of meals. Most people assume 3, but I know there are posters who prefer 2, or 4.

If you plan in advance that these are your meals and you won't eat outside of them, then give it a go. If you find after a few months that you are not getting the results you want, you can consider whether you are prepared to make changes.

I'm sorry things are so stressful. In the longer run, having a daily event that is so stressful you can't eat is unsustainable and unhealthy for you, for reasons far beyond dietary. I really hope things improve, or you can find a way to be calm in the eye of the storm.

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:53 am

Welcome! I am also sorry to hear how stressful things are at home for you right now. I do think I'd try your plan for a month or so, then re-evaluate. See if things change at all, see how it works out, and then decide to continue or tweak more.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Lynn47

Post by Lynn47 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:40 am

Thank you all for your support and comments.

Oolala, I have tried many times to walk "fasted" and two things happen, I either am so exhausted halfway through that I cut my walk short or cannot keep the pace I'd like to feel like it's increasing my heart rate enough, or I am shaky sometimes lightheaded immediately when finished.
Lynn

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:30 pm

It's up to you, but I can tell you those are the symptoms many people have talked about having at first when not snacking. They persisted at the program, and usually within the first week, the symptoms were gone. It was just their body getting used to shifting to stores.

But just go with your plan for a month and then see if you want to alter anything. Your plan is moderate and habit-friendly enough.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Welcome. I think if you stick to the No Snacking part of NoS with those meals, it should work okay. just my opinion though. Sorry to hear of all the stress at meal times. Probably the worst time to have any added stress from my limited experience with that. I hope it gets sorted out.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days