LetItGo's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LetItGo

LetItGo's Daily Check-In

Post by LetItGo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:12 am

Returning here after years away. I thought the Autumnal Equinox would be a good day to start again, so tomorrow I'll begin first thing. I know the drill well but haven't been able to stick to anything for a good 18-20 months so I've gained quite a bit of weight. I'm 47 and not getting any younger LOL, so I'm feeling more peaceful and realistic about this than I have in a long, long time, maybe ever! I don't have any out-sized goals except mainly to cut down on the sweets that I eat and the frequent large portions. If I could take off 10 or 15 pounds in a year I would be quite happy. I enjoy exercise but it's harder at this weight. I love to backpack with my family but our most recent trip over Labor Day was pretty challenging for me with this extra poundage. I like to feel I'm among others who are working on No S and trying to manage in our world of overabundance (which ends up weighing us down).

LetItGo

Post by LetItGo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:57 am

Good day! I give myself a Green :)

Lilybug

Re: LetItGo's Daily Check-In

Post by Lilybug » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:49 am

LetItGo wrote:I enjoy exercise but it's harder at this weight. I love to backpack with my family but our most recent trip over Labor Day was pretty challenging for me with this extra poundage. I like to feel I'm among others who are working on No S and trying to manage in our world of overabundance (which ends up weighing us down).
Hi LetItGo. Love your name.

I'm restarting as well. I'm also just starting to feel the extra lbs affect my mobility. My knees! They say that every lb. adds 4 lbs of pressure on your knees :shock: A good motivation to eat less and exercise. I'm just trying to walk now. At least 6,000 steps a day to start.

Good luck!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:58 am

Hi, glad to see you and good luck to you. I hope all goes well your first week.

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:28 am

Welcome! Sounds like a good time to recommit, and I hope it goes well for you!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

LetItGo

Post by LetItGo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! It's been just over a week and I think it's going quite well. Not much change in the scale naturally but I've been sleeping better and getting regular exercise too. My S days were low key and I had a few treats. Frankly, I've never felt better about being patient about weight loss. Here's to a green week for all of us!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Welcome back! You guys are inspiring me to chill a bit and be more patient with my weight loss.

Thanks and best of luck!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:05 pm

I've been sleeping better and getting regular exercise too.
Amazing how what we eat effects our sleep isn't it? This is one of the best reasons I've discovered for eliminating evening snacking! How could I have not noticed the connection all these years!? :roll:

Hope your week goes well.

LetItGo

Post by LetItGo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:22 pm

How lovely that I could be an inspiration to anyone! I'm sorry that I haven't been the most conversational member here, but I love logging in and reading your comments.
Gingerpie--you are so right about eating affecting sleeping. And it feels so good to be sleeping well that it does provide extra incentive to keep up the good eating habits of No S.
I have noticed that this thread has the wrong name completely. It isn't a daily check-in because that makes me too focused on weight loss when I am trying to be "chill" like lpearlmom says :)
I really should be calling it a weekly check-in or even bi-monthly. In reality, real weight loss for me can only be measured in these longer chunks of time.
Anyway, I am thrilled to announce that it has almost been almost exactly 4 weeks since I started here again and the scale is showing a great change now. Some must be water weight but I'm back in a normal (though high for me) 24.9 BMI.
Good luck to all of us, especially those of us who are on the slow plan :D

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

LetItGo wrote:Anyway, I am thrilled to announce that it has almost been almost exactly 4 weeks since I started here again and the scale is showing a great change now. Some must be water weight but I'm back in a normal (though high for me) 24.9 BMI.
Congrats! :D

Personally, I re-started No S at the bottom of the obese BMI and am hoping to move down into "overweight" and Onederland very soon. It's the little things in life! 8)

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:10 pm

I'm definitely on the slow plan - 1 lb a month is an average rate of weight loss for me. Any faster, and it goes back on pretty quickly.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

jenji

Post by jenji » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Yay for normal BMI! I am hoping to hit that again sometime this winter. Congratulations!
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

LetItGo

Post by LetItGo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:24 pm

It's so great to pop back in and see your supportive comments! Thank you. Jenji, ladybird30 and SpiritSong--your words are helping me to feel steady this morning. No change at all in the scale after two more weeks is a bit frustrating so I needed to come hear to be reminded of the key word: PATIENCE. Ladybird30, you are 100% right that quick loss usually means it'll come right back on. I have been feeling great about my habits and although I suppose an occasional meal has been a little on the big side, I have not had any sweets or snacks on No S days and I have been exercising regularly. I think that has to be really good for me. Fingers crossed that the scale will reflect these things again soon.
Carry on my friends!