This guy really spoke to me today.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gingerpie

This guy really spoke to me today.

Post by gingerpie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Even though this is about running and not dieting, this is exactly what I needed to hear today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qeg77E ... e=youtu.be

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:38 am

Thanks Virginia. This guy spoke to me, too. I watched another video where he talks more about self-compassion and mindfulness. I decided to start No S again, this time with much more self-compassion and patience. And with my own definition of success :D

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:44 am

I like this but don't know how I'd apply it to, say, not eating that pound of chocolate! The steps to "not" doing something are not quite as purposeful as putting on your running clothes and shoes, stepping out the door etc... I need good ways to apply this though because I do go nuts on junk sometimes on S days.

But I like what he said about the compassionate approach and not just beating oneself up over failures.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:49 pm

I like this but don't know how I'd apply it to, say, not eating that pound of chocolate! The steps to "not" doing something are not quite as purposeful as putting on your running clothes and shoes, stepping out the door etc... I need good ways to apply this though because I do go nuts on junk sometimes on S days.
The way I used the idea was to realize that if I'm not doing one thing than that means I am doing another. So, instead of thinking of it as "not eating that pound of chocolate" I try to think of it as I am getting started on that other thing I need to do. I could eat the chocolate or I could start that other thing. In any case, I agree with freegirl; Self-compassion, patience and defining your own success are key elements.

Hope you all have a great day.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Ooh, he's great! I actually took up running a year ago, and I have struggled a lot with it. Minuscule progress combined with lengthy setbacks. But I have persevered, and just getting round to starting again after breaking off for a bad cold. Thanks for posting, gingerpie.

I've just left a message on the old one-year pledge thread. Trying No S again, after getting a bit desperate and disillusioned with ALL forms of eating control! My new insight is that I just haven't been eating enough nutritious food. DOH! Anyway, I'm hoping that better nutrition will blunt my urges to eat chocolate, thus leading to a modest weight loss...we shall see!

Merry, this may not help at all, but what I do when faced with the pound of chocolate, is to NOT say 'No', but to say '...And what would be even better?' Or say 'Yes, I really want that, and I can have it, this weekend!' Sometimes, on a good day, these mental tricks work...

I'm now going to wile away the whole afternoon watching that lovely, compassionate running guy on YouTube! 😂😊