snail's daily checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

snail

snail's daily checkin

Post by snail » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:24 am

Hi everyone,
I just started today. So far day one has been very easy. This diet seems so much easier than anything I have tried before that my concern right now is not that I won't be able to stick with it, but that it won't work for me. I really hope it does.
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with cheese, mushrooms, ham, spinach and potatoes, orange juice
Lunch: Veggie sandwich with green pepper, lettuce, cucumber, pickle, mayo & mustard, small serving of baked potato chips, 1/2 apple.
Dinner: Lasagna and I think some salad or peas (haven't eaten yet).

I will go back and reread the rules before I declare this day a success, but I think it was. :D

I want to add that part of my motivation for the no s diet is that I think about food, nutrition, and what I am eating way too much. I look forward to not obsessing.
My barn having burned to the ground I can now see the moon.

Lizbeth

Post by Lizbeth » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:22 pm

Welcome Snail. Congrats on your first day. I'm new here too. I just wanted to let you know that I'm also doing this to hopefully put an end to obsessing about how and what I should eat. I really want it to work for me too. I decided I would give it at least a few weeks to become a habit, then I will consider the size and quality of my three meals after that. I wish you the best.

Lizbeth

operababe

Post by operababe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:18 pm

Hello there Snail!

Welcome!

And Lizbeth is right, just focus on doing 3 meals a day for now, don't worry about portions sizes until you've got the No S habit down. For me, it took about a month, and now I am happy to just eat 3 healthy meals every day. Since joining, I've lost 24 lbs. No S works!!!
It's time to make it beautiful.

gettnbusy

Welcome to snail!

Post by gettnbusy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:01 pm

I'm new here too. Only 4 days under my belt. I don't know much about the success of this thing yet. But, I did go to the Doc on Tuesday and he stated that while we are working on the psychology of ourselves and why we overeat this diet sounds like a good way to START to learn using baby steps about correct portion control, avoiding sweets that open up pleasure centers that wreak havoc on us, and trying not to snack when we don't need the food.

So far, I can see how this could become a lifestyle of eating. I didn't realize how much I snacked and ate sweets until Sunday. I haven't watched my weight in nearly a decade so you can imagine how engrained my poor eating habits have become.

Ultimately, if it helps, just take it one bite at a time. That's what I've been doing. If I simply must have something, I will eat a small fraction of what I normally would eat. It has been satisfying my cravings for that specific thing, but I don't have the guilt because I ate an amount that a "normal" person would eat instead of gorging. That is what I am doing until my habits become more engrained. Right now things were completely out of control so getting SOME control over food is a bastion of hope for me. I wish you success snail. Good luck!
~Christi~
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

snail

Post by snail » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi all,
Thanks everyone for the replies. I can relate to so much of what everyone said.
So far it is has been really easy for me to follow the rules. I am already thinking about making my meals healthier though as my stomach has been a little bit upset. Not from overeating, but some of the meals were too rich.
So far I am actually up a little bit in weight, but I am okay with that as I think this will really work for me long term.
I think maybe I should change my check in thread to title to occasional check in as I have been very bad with sticking to a daily check in. :oops:

snail

Post by snail » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:12 am

Today makes one week of following the no s diet. I absolutely love it. I am no longer constantly torturing myself with thoughts of should I eat this or not? Is it a snack on an N day? Then no. Is it a sweet on an N day? Then no. Is it seconds on an N day? Then no. This would not be possible without the safety valve of S days though.

If anyone is wondering, no I was not perfect through the whole 7 days. One day I ordered an appetizer at dinner which I shared with a few other people and even with virtual plating and not eating my whole meal it was still a little overboard. One day I forget and ordered a ginger ale with dinner. I didn't realize until half way through the drink that I was accidently consuming a sweet. I let myself finish it anyway. :wink: Other than that I did great. On my S days I had some dessert both days, an appetizer one day and would have allowed myself snacks but just didn't want any.

Ultimately I would like my meals to be more nutritious. As I mentioned in my last post some of them were rich enough to upset my stomach. I may begin to work on it this week but not at the expense of making the no s diet too difficult to stick with.

The absolute best part: I thought about food less this week than I have for years. :D

P.S. I do realize I am on the check in thread but wanted to provide a summary of my experience this first week for myself to look back at later.

snail

Post by snail » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:37 am

Pride before the fall.
After thinking for a couple of days that I can't believe anyone has trouble sticking to it, this is so easy, etc. I fell off the wagon.
I am starting back again tomorrow.
I will commit to following to the end of September without worrying nutrition.