Overweight has become the new normal........

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ladybird30

Overweight has become the new normal........

Post by ladybird30 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:34 am

and most people want to be normal.

I found the following quote in this article on the rise in childhood obesity:

https://theconversation.com/this-is-why ... ared-85638

"Obesity is not a character flaw. It is a normal response to an abnormal environment. When unhealthy behaviours are the default, as they are within our modern, health-disrupting environment, then healthy behaviours become abnormal."
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:44 pm

That's a great quote on your profile.

Yes, when I was a kid in the 70s, mothers limited sugar, soda was a treat, you could still "spoil your appetite" and pizza was an exotic dish you had to wait forty hungry enthralled minutes to have cooked for you at the pizza parlor.

Now get those kids offa my lawn, LOL.

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:49 am

Interesting and sad article.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:12 pm

I didn't read the whole thing but that quotation is chilling. The market forces to keep this mistake going are huge. They capitalize on every weakness, including the all-American emphasis on freedom. I feel I used individual responsibility to battle this, but I see that for all our talk about individual freedom in America, when it comes to food, most people do the human thing and opt for the freedom to have more around and eat more, not less.

Embrace your freedom! Stick it to "the man" and eat less than he wants you to! But enjoy your meals so that others see it's not about being on some terrible diet.

I don't know what to do for the poor kids. We are reading Fast Food Nation in our senior English class and it is very slowly dawning on them how much they have been manipulated. But if they're like me at that age, it won't affect their habits a lot. Sigh.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)