2 plus years on No-S and need advice

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lovedby2

2 plus years on No-S and need advice

Post by Lovedby2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I have been on the boards. I have been doing No-S for a little over 2 years. I braved the scale today and weighed. A little background. I want to say that NO-S is my forever way of eating. It has brought sanity to my once eating disorder and compulsive diet head. That being said I have never lost weight but I have maintained for the last couple of years. That is a great thing, but I do want more. I want and need to lose. I am 5'3 and have stayed at 183 the last couple of years. Today I weighed because my clothes have felt tighter. I weighed 186. Not a huge gain, but a gain. I immediately felt that old panic if I have to lose weight and how can what am I going to do about it. I know diets won't work, but I need your advice on what to do. Can any of you suggest some things? Oolala, I need your input!!! We are around the same age. Maybe you have some suggestions to get the weight off? I don't do any exercise so I know that needs to happen. My S days remained pretty wild until a month or so ago. I now only eat an ice cream cone or one sweet on the weekend. Ugh, so frustrating. This has to work for me. I just can't go back to dieting. Thank you.
Always learning.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 am

First, congratulations on staying with No S for 2 years and maintaining your weight. I consider this a huge achievement.

I think that asking yourself if there is anytime during the week that you feel you are eating more food than you need, or consuming calories when you are not hungry may help. Depending on the answers you get, you may be able to change your eating and lose weight without dieting by identifying any excess (if it exists).

I have found accountability vital, so I report every week. It has made a big difference to my compliance with the No S rules.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 am

HI Lovedby2, It's nice to see you back. Honestly, I find it shocking how few calories I need in a day. In my case, I've has a slow but steady steam of reasons change my diet (blood work results showed sugar too high, then later cholesterol too high.) As a result of those dietary changes, the number of calories I was eating lowered naturally. I'm not sure I would have made the changes if I hadn't had an alternative motive but even with the change in diet my weight has stayed the same. I imagine that if I hadn't made changes it would have gone up despite the many, many areas of my eating habits that have improved. That being said, I know there are places throughout the day that I could painlessly, decrees the amount I'm eating. For example, I often leave the table just a bit overfull, in the evenings I could eliminate my wine completely (make it an "S") Things like that. I encourage you to make note during the day of places that you might be able to trim the amount you're eating. Maybe take a double helping of vegetable but 1/2 the amount of "starchy" food. Things like that.

Best of luck to you and kind regards,
Virginia

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm

I have been on No S since March and have lost, let's see, about six pounds. So no dramatic weight loss here either (though like you I am sold on this lifestyle). Have you tried totting up calories for informational purposes? On the day I checked I had at least 2,000 calories, which for a 51 year old woman not working on a dock explains the slooooow movement on the scale.

Things that I think help me--

*weight training/whole body activity (also feels good when you're done)
*being firmer with myself about sweets and plating

I also do better when I pick filling foods, still working on identifying the best ones :)

Good luck!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:22 am

Nice to see you here and well done on 2 years of No S.

One thing I found a while back was that I was not arriving at meals (especially breakfast) with any hunger. So I slowly dialled my portions down until I found some simple defaults that mean I’m peckish about an hour before the next meal is due.

If you’re not active at all that’s a great place to start. Are you able to do a daily walk or something like that?

Lovedby2

Good to be back

Post by Lovedby2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am going to take a good look at everything. Part of my new and sustained normality with food is not being consumed and focused on food. Maybe the answer for me is exercise. I'm stubborn about that and uh, lazy. I am going for Vanilla No S because to me that is where true freedom from a food disorder is. The food disorder for me is fed by focusing on food in any form, counting, measuring, etc. You guys know the drill. I went on the FB page but it seemed like it was too far from NO S for me and felt too much like dieting. That is just me. I love No S. Honestly, it feels divine inspired for those of us who have traveled far down the road of insanity in relation to food. Feeling inspired. 🙂
Always learning.

noni

Post by noni » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi Lovedby2, I'm about your age, and even shorter than you. When I needed to cut another 20 lbs, I began to weigh myself daily and use a 7-1/2" plate for lunch and dinner. Even a salad will go on it as a side dish, although sometimes I'll eat few grapes or 1/2 banana as an extra, if I haven't been eating enough fruit. For lunch, I would eat a half sandwich, a few chips and a small piece of fruit. When I'm in the mood for a whole sandwich, I'll skip the chips. Dinner is whatever I cook, and it could be calorie laden, but I still only have that small plate. This has been since Jan 1st of this year.

Weighing myself infrequently or even weekly did not work for me. At my height and age, there can be significant weight gain in a week. Maybe in a couple years, the habit will become strong enough to scale less, but knowing myself, I doubt it! The 20 lbs came off, but I'm still working on the S-days, so the weight-loss can be more stable.

I hope you find your answer.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 pm

I just wrote you a long message. I'll say here that you should give it a few months of non-wild S days before allowing yourself to fret. Since you've been compliant for a couple of years, I'll wager you'll be safe implementing this through the upcoming season of even greater egregious exposure. If weighing yourself won't become a trigger for self-abasement and subsequent starving or abandoning the ship, try it. Just whatever you do, try to do it in the spirit of rational discovery, not panicked desperation. That has an abysmal track record, making it what I now often quote an old friend's estimation: unproductive suffering. I'm a queen at that at work, but I don't recommend it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:46 am

It's been about a month. Any update?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)