"Home" for the Holidays

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

"Home" for the Holidays

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 pm

I'm a long-time No-S-er, though I don't hang out on the boards much anymore...but I DO come back right around the holidays for a bit of extra accountability.

If I recall correctly, I started by coming back to re-set my habits after the holiday, then finally figured out that I'm better off coming back beforehand so that I don't need an after-holiday rescue plan. I do love starting the New Year without even considering "lose weight" as a resolution!

Waving hello to anyone that remembers me, and ready to tune up my habits!

Anyone else need a little extra accountability this season, or want to share strategies?

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Just wanting to stop by and say "Hi!" :)

Living overseas where the holiday season doesn't really begin until January, I haven't been brainstorming strategies per se. But I can tell you, it is easier when all the kids are grown up and not able to make it over here for the holidays. No more making everybody their favorite cookie and thereby having dozens and dozens around the house! :wink:
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:42 am

I definitely need tuning up though I tend to forget it every afternoon. Oy vey. And yes, I remember you both!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 am

Welcome back! I remember you too :-).

I try to survive as best I can, LOL! I do try to kind of "plan" on the extra days rather than just letting any day treats appear become spontaneous Red days. I try to really look forward to the special days I plan on so that I don't give in on the other days. (So, I don't let Thanksgiving become one long permasnacking holiday into Christmas, but I really focus on N days for those next few weeks so that any weight gain from TG is just temporary and comes back off.) I want to enjoy family time though and all the special foods. :D

For December I mainly remind myself--I've had cookies before and I'll have them again. Just because people want to bring over Christmas cookies, doesn't mean I need to eat them daily! I save a few in a baggie for my S days to look forward to. We don't have too many holiday parties usually, so that should be workable. I think the biggest thing is doing what you know to do--focus hard on N days, plan on S days, don't let treats take over!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

osoniye

Re: "Home" for the Holidays

Post by osoniye » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:18 am

kccc wrote:Waving hello to anyone that remembers me, and ready to tune up my habits!
Hi there- It's good to see you. I'm still hanging around here. Still trying. Sometimes more successfully than others. It's great that we can encourage each other during this time of year!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:32 pm

I remember you, kccc!

My holiday strategies:

I already have my two NWS-Days marked on my HabitCal for December (the day of the office holiday party and Christmas).

My husband and I no longer keep sweets in the house, so my only temptations should be at work. Unless something is truly "fail-worthy," I should be okay there too. And if not, I'll enjoy the one treat and not turn the rest of the day into a fail-a-thon.

My greatest challenge may be keeping up with my morning dog walks once the weather gets nasty. I can always walk inside with Leslie and exercise my dog on the stairs. She's from North Carolina, so I don't know how she is going to react to her first winter up north. With my luck, she'll love it and still harass me for her regular walk during blizzards! :shock:

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello!

My plan is basically to follow my everyday plan but I will allow myself a small dessert with the holiday meal (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas). I am fortunate in that I work from home so office treats don't tempt me and I am not a big fan of Christmas cookies so when MIL bakes I can easily skip over those without trouble.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Marking "S-days" in advance is a good idea.

Mostly, I think, I just need to tighten up a bit - it's easy to become complacent, and get a little sloppy. So it's back to basics, paying more attention to details on N-days, and being intentional about treats.

I generally enjoy treats I plan for, and feel yucky when I fall into eating-because-it's-there. So, need to remember that.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:57 am

(And it's really lovely to see so many familiar faces... er, usernames... Hello to all of you!)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:52 am

Nice posts from all, but fail-a-thon is a keeper.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)