Gestational diabetes???

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Panther

Gestational diabetes???

Post by Panther » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 am

I just found out that I have gestational diabetes, I am 30 weeks along. Has anyone had experience with no s and gestational diabetes, or just diabetes in general? Thank you

jenji

Post by jenji » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:09 pm

I know this is going to be obvious, but this is a question for your OB/GYN first and foremost. I'm guessing you can do No S and follow the gestational diabetes diet. I haven't had to do it, but I have had friends get gestational diabetes, and it seemed to be mostly low sugar (including low fruit, surprisingly).
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:41 am

My dh was prediabetic about 10 years ago, and his dr. gave him 3 months to try to turn things around or consider medication. He went to the instructional classes the nutritionists offered at the hospital on how to eat. The biggest things were counting carbs (and fruit counts because you can get a blood-sugar spike from that too) based on your weight, spacing them out, getting protein with meals, whole grains vs. simple carbs, and daily exercise. Depending on your current diet, No-S on its own might not be enough (and S days would have to be more tightly controlled). I think it could certainly help, but I'd run everything by your doctor (and I'm not sure how gestational diabetes will differ specifically from regular diabetes). You really want a healthy outcome for mom and baby, even if that means abandoning No-S for a time to do whatever your dr. says--totally worth it in the end! I hope this last trimester goes well for you!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Panther

Post by Panther » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Thank you!