surely's almost daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

surely

surely's almost daily check-in

Post by surely » Fri May 27, 2005 7:24 pm

the stress of returning to college and doing all those papers, etc. while having a job (pretty full time) and a family was my excuse for obliviously inhaling sweets and other snacks making it through the 2 lips on my face, plus saying "I'll exercise tomorrow". Last Sun 5/22/05, I was feeling desperate (again) since I gained 15 lbs. this year after working so hard to stay in shape last summer. I googled 'HOW to stop snacking' and found the nosdiet. I can't believe it's been almost 6 days that I haven't had sweets, snacks, or seconds like the many, many days b4 6 days ago!!!!! It's time 2 give credit where credit is due - so Dear G-d - THANX for sending a great messenger - Mr. Reinhard to the front lines to end the madness and offer all us beneficiaries a light, humorous, common sense (very uncommon today), and ez approach to stay sane & healthy. I've shared the nosdiet with friends at work and naturally, they love it! Every day is a challenge in the S department, but I repeat the mantra to myself ea. time, or I just ask myself " what's the point? I already had a good meal and the next one is coming very soon. I of course don't expect to shed 15 lbs. in no time with nosdiet alone. I went back to my almost daily exercise regime using the original 5-6 firm aerobic wt training tapes.
THANX AGAIN and we'll SURELY get to our goal GW.
All the Best 2 U!!! :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Welcome, surely! I like your optimistic username. Try doing this daily check-in here until you get the habit down. You don't have to write much, just "SUCCESS" or "FAILURE." Or just note the esses you did or didn't manage to avoid (see Jan's daily checkin for a fun example of using emoticons to do this). And if the "mantra" isn't enough, print out the business card and carry it around as an extra reminder. It'll make it seem more official.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 27, 2005 10:33 pm

Surely, you sound like a winner...I am predicting success for you with your approach.

Jan

Kevin

Surely you can't be...

Post by Kevin » Sat May 28, 2005 7:19 pm

Your user name brings to mind all sorts of fun puns... do you remember the move Airplane?

I hope you have nice S days and an easy next week.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."