Joining today

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gingerlily

Joining today

Post by gingerlily » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Hello!

Having long-time lurked and dabbled with no-S, I have decided to commit to it for the next two months. I have found the forum so helpful already and I hope that by starting a daily check in from today, and knowing I will be sharing my progress, should keep me motivated!

I have no target weight loss, I just want to establish a healthy eating pattern and lose the restrict-binge-guilt cycle. I work and have a toddler, so my usual natural forms of weight management, like walking and cycling, are so hard to fit in regularly. Since returning to work after maternity leave I have just steadily got plumper, argh!!

I decided to start today as a sick day, as feeling very under the weather. I did fine until the afternoon but then have mindlessly eaten and now feel like I could pop my tummy like a balloon, ugh!! Having these days reminds me how much better I feel on N days. Which I suppose all helps with my motivation! I think I need an N day tomorrow. I plan to split my S days from the start, I often work weekends and find N days much easier at work.

Feeling positive for my N day tomorrow!

PS anyone have anything that helps them tackle mindless eating? I have tried eating mindfully but my toddler is usually a bit of a handful at mealtimes, presumably as the attention isn't on her, and it feels like I hardly taste most of my meals. I am thinking of sitting down with a notebook and working out my triggers to mindlessly overeating. I already know that a screaming toddler, boredom and procrastination are big ones for me... Now to come up with solutions!!

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:21 am

Welcome!

Give yourself time to hit your stride. The habit of eating meals helps us know what we should feel like--and when we mindlessly overeat, we remember how much that doesn't feel good! It helps us the next time. I wouldn't worry too much about what happens on a sick day, but I do find that if I dish something up for myself, at least I know how much I ate (versus eating the whole bag of something before I'm conscious of it). Even if it's an S day and I end up going back for seconds (as I did today for zucchini bread!)--at least I can't do it without some knowledge that I emptied my plate! Over time, that empty plate becomes a stronger signal.

Good thought to make a list of triggers too. I found the computer was a big trigger for me (I work from home, and any time I had a more difficult question to answer, I was using it as a time to go eat. Now I do different things--walk around, jump on the elliptical or stretch for a couple of minutes, get some water or coffee--but don't eat). Figure out your triggers and come up with strategies for a different response.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:32 pm

I already know that a screaming toddler, boredom and procrastination are big ones for me... Now to come up with solutions!!
We each have to travel our own paths but some things that helped me when I was in a similar position.
1) Toddlers like games. "let's count how many bites we take!"; "Hey! What color is this broccoli, milk carrot?"; "You feed Mommy a bite and I'll feed you." All said with a big smile and a laugh both gives her attention and makes you focus.
2) Boredom can lead to creativity. What can you do when you're bored that isn't eating? Big choices for me are painting, exercising, writing, cooking something fun. Whatever makes you smile. Right now, you might have to do those things on a toddler level - finger paint, cook things she can help stir, put on dance music and hop around together, pull out the crayons and color together or write her a story that you then read together. She could "write" her own story as well by telling you the words to write, you write them then read them back to her. The big thing for me is realizing that if I'm bored it means I need to use my mind.
3) Procrastination . . . I guess you know this, but, set the timer for 15 minutes and work on the thing that you're procrastinating. Don't worry if 15 minutes isn't enough time to finish the task. At least you've started and not eating.

I hope some of these ideas help - or at least give you a new way to look at things.

Have a great day.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Welcome! I have one toddler and one preschooler, and work part time, so I can definitely relate!

On the exercise front, the only reliable exercise for me is cycling to work. Because I have to get to work anyway, anything else just gets squeezed out of my routine!

Dinner with two little kids sometimes means I barely taste my food, and often I’m back and forth to finish my plate while supervising the bath. Mindful eating is a nice goal, but probably not realistic for me at the moment. That’s ok though, because No S gives me a signal to start (meal time) and a signal to stop (my empty plate). You can still be successful at this even if you don’t tame toddler meal times.

You’re managing a lot between toddler, work and the rest of life crammed in between. Be kind to yourself. You got this!

HeatherG

Post by HeatherG » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello, I've just joined too.

I live in Scotland with my husband and four children. I work part time and am studying too.

I am really hoping that the No S Diet will give me some discipline around food, especially snacking in the afterschool/before dinner time. And I am hoping to loose some weight too.

Tomorrow (Monday) should be my first green day!!

Thanks in advance for some companionship on the road.

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 am

Welcome, Heather! I hope you have a great first week :-).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Welcome, gingerlily and Heather. Try to focus on sane habits first. if you can. How well has focusing on the scale worked in the past? If not much, it's a perfect time to try something else.

I'm pretty sure sane habits has led to more satisfaction and peace than having a perfect body has. There are plenty of slim people who feel very burdened by their compulsive eating. Who wants to be thin and constantly fearing food? Maybe I shouldn't ask...

Well, if we were willing to do anything to be thin, we probably already would have.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

HeatherG

Vanilla no S?

Post by HeatherG » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:27 am

Hello - can I ask what 'Vanilla no S' is please? I see it in a lot of the posts referring to it. Assume it is a 'basic' version, but what is it compared against? Thanks. Going for another green day in week 2.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Vanilla is just as you think, just the three S's, with no purposeful modifications.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Welcome!
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79