Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milly's daily check in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milliem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Milly's daily check in Reply with quote

So this is round... maybe three or four of NoS. Every good habit takes time right?

Anyway my plan is:
- Vanilla NoS
- Manage Christmas/New Year festivities by aiming for 'S meals' on extra special days rather than 'S days'
- No alcohol during the week/on non special occasion days
- Work back up to gym or yoga at least 3 days a week

Funny stuff:
I'm not going for any mods but there are a few things I might do differently from others. I have to keep an eye on my cholesterol so I do have a cholesterol yoghurt drink daily but I'm not counting that as food. I also aim to have 10-15 plain unsalted almonds per day as it supports healthy fats but will try and eat those with lunch so they can be part of my plate.

I don't generally include drinks - I generally drink unsweetened teas, water or sugar free drinks. If I go for a coffee it'll be a sweet if it includes sugary syrups, and any other drinks like milkshakes or full sugar pop etc. would be a sweet.

8/12/17 - S meal
- No breakfast
- Chicken fajita rice box for lunch (didn't finish it) + handful of almonds
- Dinner will be a 5 course meal out for my husband's work Christmas party! I plan to enjoy myself but be mindful of how full I am Smile
gingerpie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. Good luck
milliem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gingerpie!

9/12/17 - S day

Breakfast - bacon roll
Lunch - courgette pancakes, cannoli
Snack - strawberry doughnut
Dinner - will be mezze at a lebanese restaurant

Not too bad today, no perma-snacking or gorging, although we'll see how dinner goes!
milliem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/12/17 - S day

Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - chicken tikka wraps, 1/4 salted caramel brownie
Dinner - swedish meatballs
Snacks - crisps, a chocolate bar, orange latte

A little more snacky after dinner than was necessary to be honest, but hey it's an S day, I can worry about those later.

First N day tomorrow, eek!
milliem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11/12/17 - Success

Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - couscous & chicken, yoghurt, raspberries
Dinner - chicken burger & fries

A large and early dinner as out with a friend - but all one plate, no dessert and didn't even finish it. Lunch was slightly eyeballed with the fruit and yoghurt on the side.

Not too bad for the first day, I've felt some pangs of hunger but only minor and passing quickly.
Octavia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're doing really well Millie!

I like your controlled eating of nuts. They can be so tricky when used as a snack, but having a few as part of a meal is a great idea. They are so healthy when we don't overeat them!

Hope your day is going well.
milliem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12/12/17 - success

Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - cous cous & mackerel, almonds
Dinner - beef bulgogi and rice

Funny stuff: was in a rush at lunchtime to get to a meeting so ended up eating my nuts in the afternoon. They were a planned part of my meal though so counting it as a form of virtual plating Smile
Merry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Sounds like a good day to me Smile

2 years and counting on No-S

28 lbs. down, 35 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
milliem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was, thanks Merry!

13/12/17 - success

Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - sandwich, crisps and fruit
Dinner, steak pie, chips and salad

Somewhat larger plates than normal today but still 3 plates - went to the cinema in the evening and resisted popcorn or sugary drinks.

14/12/17 - NWS

I've got a work training day with buffet followed by a Christmas meal out. I'm going to stick to one plate for lunch (may have to virtual plate if we get those tiny buffet plates!) but dinner is 3 courses that I've already chosen so going to enjoy that Smile I'm expecting there will be multiple snacks and treats as well, going to take the approach of assessing whether they are really worth it but I may have some if they look extra tasty!
Octavia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your busy day, Milly. Sounds like you've worked out a good strategy! Have fun.
milliem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15/12/17 -Success

Quite pleased about this in the context of a slight hangover, working from home and then a work emergency in the evening. Stuck to three plates and no sweets, albeit not the healthiest plates in the world - I think I'll start on that side of things more once I hit a 21 day habit streak!

Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - sausage and apple roll, chicken mayo baguette
Dinner - fish, chips and mushy peas
milliem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16/12/17 & 17/12/17 - S days

I didn't snack an awful lot on the weekend but did have some rather large meals (including desserts). I'm finding it almost strange how the snacking habit seems to have been fairly easy to break so far. It makes me think of all those times I reached for a snack and just didn't need to! I can't remember all of Saturday's food but yesterday I had:

Breakfast - amaretti muffin and coffee
Lunch - lamb roast dinner, sticky toffee pudding, 2 glasses of wine
Snack - small bar of chocolate
Dinner - chicken, green beans and potato

18/12/17 - success

Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - soup, a roll, baked crisps and blueberries
Dinner - hoisin chicken and veg stir fry

I think I chose the right desk to work at today, the office next door had a huge spread of mince pies, chocolates and biscuits but I didn't notice until I was leaving for the day and wasn't tempted at all Smile
milliem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19/12/17 - success

Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - soup and a roll, almonds
Dinner - chicken jalfrezi

Funny stuff - was too busy in work to eat the almonds so ate them when I got home. I was really hungry in the evening, don't think I ate enough during the day but managed to avoid snacking.

20/12/17 - success

Breakfast - porridge & raspberries
Lunch - ham hock baguette, fruit, yoghurt cranberries
Dinner - bbq chicken, plaintain, peas and rice

A large dinner tonight but stuck to one plateful!
milliem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21/12/17 - Failure

My first fail of the season Crying or Very sad Not a huge one, I was just so HUNGRY yesterday, from about 10am I felt starving, and had to try self-talking myself pretty much all day not to stuff my face with cakes and chocolate. I guess I didn't have a large enough lunch to stave it off as I caved in the afternoon.

Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - leftover chicken and rice
Dinner - grilled chicken, veg and mash

Snack - jaffa cakes

Well back on the horse today hopefully, although I'm out for some festive drinks this afternoon so we'll see if I can stick to good choices!
oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think our hunger follows what we ate at the last meal, though there is some research that shows that replacing some dense foods (protein/starch/fat) with higher volume foods like freggies at a meal leads to greater satiety at the NEXT meal. The body responds to all kinds of conditions with greater or less hunger. I have seen patterns and exceptions to the patterns many times over the years. I can be going without a hitch for days and then suddenly the same meals and situations will be followed by lots of food thoughts. It really takes multiple experiences to see a pattern, and even then, eventually, the adjustments are going to be minor, if at all.

I know in the beginning, it's typical to want to see the big picture in all its glory, but it's rare for that to happen. Just know you're doing very well with getting some of the pieces either in place or close to each other!
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but harder to maintain)
Dec/17 23.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
milliem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 2018 to everyone!

So Friday 22nd December was a success and then the rest of December was either S days or fails Embarassed Rolling Eyes I was fairly mindful of what I was eating, at least until 27th December when I started feeling really under the weather and used it as an excuse to eat the world.

Oh well!

1/1/18 - failure

I debated taking this as a NWS but planned not to, however then decided to eat a really delicious dessert I had leftover from the weekend. No regrets, it was worth it, yum! At least the majority of my 'holiday food' is gone now Smile

2/1/18 - success

Breakfast - porridge and blueberries
Lunch - lentil and kale soup, half a chicken and avocado sandwich
Dinner - chicken jalfrezi and 2 satsumas
oolala53

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the "half" you wrote meant half a sandwich and not a sandwich made from half a chicken. Wink

You restarted at a kind of risky time of year, so onwards from the minefield!
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but harder to maintain)
Dec/17 23.8

milliem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolala53 wrote:
I'm assuming the "half" you wrote meant half a sandwich and not a sandwich made from half a chicken. Wink

You restarted at a kind of risky time of year, so onwards from the minefield!

Laughing Laughing yes a half sandwich, not sure how much chicken ended up in there! I knew starting noS in December was going to be tough, but I was super pleased with the amount of green days I had when in the past I would have already been in festive eating mode!

3/1/18 success

Lunch - salmon and egg sandwich, nuts, yoghurt
Dinner - fish, veggies and sweet potato mash
milliem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/1/18 - success

Lunch - katsu curry, yoghurt
Dinner - spinach and paneer wrap, masala fries, onion bhaji

Not the healthiest dinner but one savoury plateful so I'll take it!
automatedeating

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millem! Funny how you thought that dinner wasn't healthy; I had been looking at a couple days of your meals and thinking you are a very healthy eater! I was curious if you've always been like that or if you've made changes?

Hope tomorrow is great!
8/17: BMI 25.8
milliem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks, when I cook at home, or grab lunches, I am often a fairly healthy eater - I learned a bunch of healthy 'go to' meals when I was calorie counting, and I order home cook boxes where I aim for the healthier meals (they provide nutrition information when you order). I'm not calorie counting while NoS-ing (kind of defeats the point!) but some of the things I know about food, portions and calories are quite ingrained now.

Last night's dinner was takeaway though and more carby/fried than I would often eat. Although I didn't even finish my plateful, I definitely felt over full afterwards and am suffering a bit this morning from bloating and a sore stomach Confused Sad It's definitely a learning point that I need to balance my plate with more veggies and other foods to feel good!
oolala53

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of the same way, millem. I know exactly what you mean about the wrap and two fried things at one meal. I feel a little sad sometimes when I go to an Indian restaurant because I know I will feel rotten if I eat all the fantastic starches, not to mention the rest of it, AND raita, AND gulab jamon. Those were the days. But I don't want them back, unless I could do it and not feel stuffed. I think those days are over, too.
Jan/12-26.8
Dec/17 23.8

milliem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolala53 wrote:
I am kind of the same way, millem. I know exactly what you mean about the wrap and two fried things at one meal. I feel a little sad sometimes when I go to an Indian restaurant because I know I will feel rotten if I eat all the fantastic starches, not to mention the rest of it, AND raita, AND gulab jamon. Those were the days. But I don't want them back, unless I could do it and not feel stuffed. I think those days are over, too.

I've become slightly obsessed with saag paneer (the spinach and paneer dish) so I love having that as my side dish at an Indian restaurant and then just have either a naan or rice (not both) and a fish or chicken curry main. Feels a bit more balanced if not exactly healthy!

I can't resist a poppadom and mango chutney though Wink

6/1/17 - Success

Phew, I always find Friday's tough as after work relaxing often equals food for me (or it used to). I had a couple of evening alcoholic drinks but stuck to the plan.

Breakfast - english muffin with peanut butter
Lunch - pulled chicken, rice and beans, soya yoghurt
Dinner - ginger soy beef with rice
oolala53

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are saag paneer and palak paneer the same thing? I know I've had palak paneer many times and LOVE it. I think of it/therm as main dishes, I guess because of the panir. I've never made it, but I've bought some darn good commercial versions that I use lightly as my flavorings/sauce for my plain other food. I make it last! (I sometimes add cottage cheese to it. Less meat these days, but it's an option.) And filling up on the sauce alone leaves me feeling way too full later. I do the same with the leftovers from a restaurant. I wish I could find someone who wanted to go eat Indian more often so we can share and have more variety. I do have a friend coming in a couple of weeks and we will partake!

I take an informal Indian cooking class once a month or so. Our teacher refuses to recommend any restaurants. She says they use way more fat- ghee and cream- than the traditional cooks do. I guess restaurants do the same everywhere. But I'm not giving up Indian restaurants! (BTW, she has lost a lot of weight since we started the classes last spring. I don't know what she was eating before. She makes a few comments in class that make me think she's on a diet, but she doesn't push it. I like the class but some of the other students drive me a little crazy talking about whether foods are healthy or not. I don't wanna hear it! I don't go to an Indian cooking class for that! Let's just eat the food and enjoy it. If THEY can't enjoy it, don't spoil the experience for everyone else.)
Jan/12-26.8
Dec/17 23.8

milliem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure most restaurants use way more butter, cream, fats and salt than we ever would at home - that's what makes them so tasty!

6/1/18 - S day

Breakfast - beef bulgogi panini
Lunch - frittata, half a brownie
Snack - mint chocolate bar
Dinner - scallops, pork chop, creme brulee

We were out for a special meal and a stay in a hotel last night and I took full advantage - drank a LOT of wine/bubbly/cocktails etc as well so feeling a little delicate today...

7/1/18 - S day

Breakfast - toast, yoghurt, bacon and eggs
Lunch - salmon and veggies, cinnamon bun
Snack - chocolate bar
Dinner - chicken and veggies in broth

It's an S day and I have a hangover so can't promise there won't be more snacks than that, but this is the plan so far!
milliem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday turned out to be a bit of a bust, i ended up having some popcorn at the cinema and then my husband managed to slice his thumb half off chopping parsley so we were in A&E for a couple of hours waiting for them to check it out! Given that he had been chopping our lovely healthy dinner we ended up stopping for McDonald's at about 10pm on the way home Embarassed It was an S day so eh, but not what I planned.

8/1/18 - success

Lunch - soup, a bagel and soy yoghurt
Dinner - Tahini chicken bowl

9/1/18 - success

Lunch - soup, a bagel and soy yoghurt
Dinner - satay chicken and rice
Octavia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Milliem, sounds like you had quite a day on Sunday. Not surprised you ended up at MacDonalds. Very forgivable in the circumstances! And it was an S day! Hope your husband is OK. It’s great that you got straight back on track!
oolala53

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can still eat reasonably at McDonalds. Not that they WANT you to. Wink
Jan/12-26.8
Dec/17 23.8

milliem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both - he's fine just a super deep cut to his thumb so he's banned from chopping for the time being! Wink

I actually chose fairly well at McDonald's - just a cheeseburger and regular fries. Nothing extravagant!
oolala53

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistic N day choice. One meal out of 1,100 a year- give or take a few. Very Happy
Jan/12-26.8
Dec/17 23.8

milliem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/1/18 - success

Breakfast - porridge and raspberries
Lunch - salmon, leftover quinoa salad, crisps
Dinner - cheeseburger and fries

11/1/18 - success

Breakfast - porridge and raspberries
Lunch - korean beef and rice, yoghurt
Dinner - stir fry

Two successes but a bit disappointed with yesterday - was absolutely knackered after work so got a delivery instead of cooking, and not a healthy choice. One plate and no sweets though which is good, usually whenever I get food from that place I order a large (delicious) ice cream milkshake. I resisted the temptation! It's weird to be 'ok' with fast food on an N day but hey, it's part of the process.

Feeling pretty hungry now so I'll probably have a camomile tea before bed.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely fast food was part of my N Day process, for close to 4 years! Shocked
So hang in there and let the changes sort themselves out with time.
oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me, too, until I found a really compelling reason to change. But I wouldn't recommend adopting someone else's reason.

Besides, even now, given the right situation, I'd easily have the equivalent of what you had, though it's more likely to be Mexican.
Jan/12-26.8
Dec/17 23.8

milliem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way it's quite freeing to know that actually as long as it's not dessert I can put whatever I like on my plate on an N day and am still maintaining my habits. I like fast food sometimes, it can be satisfying and tasty. But I know that if I eat fast food too often:

a) I won't feel good
b) I won't lose weight

While NoS is about sane, healthy habits ultimately most of us are here either to lose weight or avoid gaining weight right? I know I am! That's what it's for!

So one of my goals is to reduce the amount that fast food (particularly the kind that involves large amounts of fat and carbs) appears on my plate no matter what the day. I'm still building the habits though so sometimes it's whatever helps me make it through an N day Wink
milliem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12/1/18 - success

Breakfast - toasted teacake, coffee
Lunch - salmon and cream cheese sandwich, crisps
Dinner - pork, veggies and roast potatoes

I had my Friday 'treat' of two alcoholic drinks in the evening, gives me something to look forward do as I relax after work that doesn't break the habits. I should probably work towards having slightly less sweet drinks but that's a goal for after I've got the main habits down.

Definitely chalking up a win for the accountability of posting here, I was contemplating ordering a curry last night but the thought of writing here that I'd had some kind of takeaway three times within a week made me rethink Wink
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy S Days!!
oolala53

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you afraid WE would judge you for eating take away that often? Did you make some kind of mod for that that I never read?

Green is green!

Smile
Jan/12-26.8
Dec/17 23.8

milliem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green is green indeed! I just know what my body is like, and too many takeaways will limit if not completely stall any weight loss, which can lead to feeling demotivated. That said it's a work in progress, I can start setting goals about what goes on my plate when I have the habits more ingrained.

13/1/18 & 14/1/18 - S days

Despite the above I managed to eat a lot of takeaway food on the weekend - mostly due to accidentally setting my oven on fire and breaking it Embarassed Shocked So fairly hefty S days but I'm aware it's part of the process.
milliem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15/1/18 - Success

Breakfast - porridge
Lunch - chicken and stuffing sandwich, boiled egg, edamame beans
Dinner - pork and sage meatballs

16/1/18 - Success

Breakfast - porridge and dried fruit
Lunch - pea and ham soup, roll, fruit
Dinner - paellla, roasted veg crisps

I'm trying to be better at plating rather than virtual plating as I think I've been eating too much at lunch. I'd rather a slightly overstuffed plate than a fail though at this stage!
oolala53

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the oven on fire, huh? Some people will do anything to get out of cooking... Wink
Jan/12-26.8
Dec/17 23.8

milliem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolala53 wrote:
Set the oven on fire, huh? Some people will do anything to get out of cooking... Wink

I don't need much of an excuse to order in Laughing

17/1/18 - Success

Lunch - pea and ham soup, roll, fruit
Dinner - sausage, mash and veggies

Determined to make my 21 day stretch - only 3 more N days to go after today!
milliem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18/1/18 - Success

Lunch - thai red curry and rice 'pot', melon
Dinner - 6" subway roll, crisps

I ate really late (for me) last night due to going to the cinema after work. I wasn't actually that hungry when I got home and would probably have been just find with just the sub and not the crisps but I ate them because well, they fit on my plate and I 'could'... and they are tasty I guess? One of my future goals will be focusing more on not filling my plates just because I can, and paying more attention to my hunger.
milliem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19/1/18 - Success

Breakfast - porridge with blueberries and dried pear
Lunch - korean chicken
Dinner - special fried rice

Busy day yesterday which I think helped. Roll on Monday and my first 21 day streak!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: