Checking in with Eatin' Free!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Eatin' Free

Checking in with Eatin' Free!

Post by Eatin' Free » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:18 pm

Hi, I just recently heard about the No-S diet, and I love what I see. I'm 51 years old, VERY overweight, and I have tried multitudinous forms of diet restrictions since my mid-twenties. The last couple of years have been most restricted, having been in the vegan and raw vegan camps for a while. Everything worked for a while, but then I would go berserk, gaining even more than I had lost. Typical dieter's story...

The thing is, I am a foodie at heart--I love food, I love to cook, I love to read about food--recipes, travel books, memoirs, whatever! But the last couple of months I have come to the realization that much of the misery I've been feeling is not just because of the overweight; it's because of the weird relationship (or lack thereof) I've been having with food over the years. This No-S thing looks like the real deal--nothing forbidden, just learn to eat like we were meant to eat. Enjoy the food, and enjoy the rest of your life as well. Balance, it is all about balance and freedom.

That's one of the reasons I chose my list name--it took all of two seconds for that to come to me--no more long, arbitrary lists of rules, forbidden foods, etc. I'm going to be eatin' free! Thanks so much for this site!

Eatin' Free

Day 1

Post by Eatin' Free » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:05 pm

This is officially my first day, and it occurred to me that perhaps I should have waited a few days to start; my husband and I are leaving work at noon today to go camping for the weekend, so I won't really be able to report in on the first couple of days till Sunday evening.

I can say that the morning has started fairly well. I think I'm going to have to get used to eating breakfast again. I'm normally not even hungry till late morning, but that would usually lead to a massive lunch followed by perpetual snacking through the afternoon and into the evening. So maybe readjusting the meals will help keep me from binge mode later on.

Hope it's a good weekend for everyone; I'll report in again Sunday evening.
Last edited by Eatin' Free on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:55 pm

Valerie I wish you all the success on this plan. It's been going relatively well for me so far this week. It's difficult for me to transform 15 years of bad eating habits quickly. But I know for a fact that I haven't gained any weight this week. That is a feeling I haven't had in more than a decade I think. I must have cut out at least 3,000-4,000 calories every few days from not binge eating & snacking. It only takes 3,000 calories to make a pound or drop a pound. So I am thinking I have avoided gaining 2 pounds this week EVEN IF I DON'T LOSE A THING AT LEAST I'M NOT GAINING as I have been for years.

Enjoy your weekend and I look forward to your post on Sunday. Good wishes. :lol:
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:34 pm

Hi Valerie! Welcome and good luck!

I hope you don't mind if I comment on what you said and offer my advice.
Bingeing is helped greatly if you make sure that you have sufficient meals, and don't skimp..
I'd say that, although I don't recommend eating breakfast at 2pm and dinner at 2 am, whenever you eat your meals doesn't matter so much as how many meals you have.
Stick to three, non-skimpy, and hopefully interesting, meals, each day, and just keep repeating "No Snacks" at other times..
It's amazing how we get used to ritual behaviours, but amazingly, we can definitely break those patterns we thought were such prisons before, when given very clear rules!
Go for it!!!
Also, there's no reason to put off starting offcially..
Plenty of people start on S days!
Enjoy your weekend, and your new freedom! :wink:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Eatin' Free

Beginning day 4

Post by Eatin' Free » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:12 pm

Thanks for your input, Deb and Christi!

Friday went very well for me, I was able to keep it an N day, and on Saturday and Sunday, it was nice to be able to have a couple of the 'treats' we normally have when camping, but I found myself already being very aware of my snacking habits, and also how I am feeling AFTER eating some of these things. I would find my hand reaching out for something to munch, and the thought would pop into my head, "Do I really want this?" and the answer often being no, I would pull back and wait till later. While there was definite snacking, sugar and seconds over the weekend, there was definitely less than usual, all because I was simply paying more attention.

This morning started a little rough because I overslept, so I ended up going to McD's on the way to work--I bought a sandwich, the fruit and yogurt, and an orange juice. I have lunch stuff for work, so that's good, and dinner is already planned and the fixings are thawing in the frig. There is a slight sort of panicky edge re: not eating in between meals while at work. I am very used to having something with my tea at 11 and 3. I'll try to just savor the tea instead!

For exercise, I've been doing short walks, for about 30-40 minutes total a day. I am quite overweight, and movement is not a thing that draws me. Don't think I'm quite ready for shovelglove yet!

So, for days 1, 2 and 3, I can report success!

Now, for the rest of today. I'll report in later.
Last edited by Eatin' Free on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eatin' Free

Day 4--Success!

Post by Eatin' Free » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:48 pm

I ended up with a decent day yesterday, sticking to 3 meals and no snacks. Ran into one potential hitch, but it was avoided--I had gone to bed to read about 9 p.m., and at 9:30 I had a phone call from a friend I had not heard from in years. We talked for an hour, and it took another hour for me to settle down and finally go to sleep. That was one rough hour! All I could think of was what I could grab to snack on, and I had all kinds of rationalizations going on in my head. But I made myself just stay in bed, kept reading, and finally drifted off.

One of the "S" words that I think I will have to incorporate is no eating solo (or in solitude) unless necessary. That is where a lot of my poor eating habits have developed, eating in private. That's where the binging happens. So, I am back to eating supper with my husband; I've asked him to return with me to the table, rather than eating at his desk while I'm at the TV. Should help me enjoy the food more, too; a lot of mindless eating occurs in front of the television!

I think I need to learn to enjoy and relax while eating with people in general. I've become so used to enjoying food freely while alone, and eating with others, even at family gatherings, is very stressful and unenjoyable. More on this later.

Day 5 is starting off all right--large mango smoothie for breakfast, and for lunch I've brought along a large bunch of grapes, a yogurt and small broccoli salad. Dinner is out tonight with a friend (with whom I can safely eat and enjoy!). The menu is online, so I can take a look at that and plan ahead for my 'one plate.'
Last edited by Eatin' Free on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david

Post by david » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:46 pm

It sounds like you are on track, Valerie! Way to go!

--david

Eatin' Free

Day 5 -- Success??

Post by Eatin' Free » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:23 pm

Can there be surprise S days? I did really well yesterday sticking to things as an N day, and then a friend from out of town wanted to take me out to dinner as a belated birthday gift (my birthday was in early August). So we went out to a favorite restaurant, where I ordered a meal that fit the plan of one plate, EXCEPT for the fact that she had already ordered a special dessert for my birthday. Because of that, I limited myself to half of what was on my plate (which was more than enough, anyway, and left me plenty for supper tonight), and had the dessert, which was a small fruit mousse.

So while I did not plan on this being an S day, I guess I feel okay calling it one, considering the circumstances.

Would you folks see this as valid, or am I wandering off into rationalization land?
Last edited by Eatin' Free on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david

Post by david » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:49 pm

Totally valid, IMO. It's not like you were engaging in mindless or habitual S-ing. I've had similar situations come up and I found it helpful to remember that No-S is supposed to be a life enhancing system, not a wet blanket.

--david

Eatin' Free

Day 6--Success

Post by Eatin' Free » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:10 pm

Another good day--started with a smoothie, ended with a one plate meal, and in between I experienced my first potluck as a No S-er!

Once a month we have a potluck meal at work, and I simply took my plate, went through the line once, choosing only what looked really good to me, ate it and was fine. I did escape before they brought in the desserts, however; I did not want to push myself too far! :)

Still walking; the weather has been perfect for early morning or late evening strolls.

Thanks, David, for your response to my day 5 question--most encouraging!
Last edited by Eatin' Free on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david

Post by david » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:59 pm

It is really empowering to "No-S" a pot luck or buffet, isn't it? Control is nice!

--david

Eatin' Free

Post by Eatin' Free » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:12 pm

After thinking about it this morning, I am going to go ahead and call yesterday a success. I had a mindless moment at dinner time. We had a friend over for dinner, and for dessert I had purchased a small pan of brownies from a local bakery. I had cut them up and was putting them out on a plate, threw the pan away, and put the fork I had been using to remove them from the pan right into my mouth without even thinking about--definitely old habit kicking in. Almost immediately, though, it struck me what I was doing, and fork was removed, leaving only a little behind. So, what I had was minimal, and it made me very aware of how little attention I really pay to a lot of my eating, at least pre-No S.

Good news to me was that the tiny bit of brownie that remained was not enough to get my chocolate/sugar cravings going. I just sat down to the regular meal, ate and was satisfied. I ate pretty slowly, so the others could go ahead and eat their dessert while I was still finishing my plate. Our guest took the leftover brownies with him, and I ended the night with a cup of herbal tea.

So I have gotten through my first week with no major issues. Success all the way--so far! Don't want to get too comfortable! :)

Eatin' Free

Day 8--Success!

Post by Eatin' Free » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Friday was different--I overslept so I stopped at McD's and picked up a breakfast sandwich and the yogurt parfait for breakfast. I had made a lunch to take with me, but when I got to work, my husband (who works in the same office) told me he had to go out on the road in the afternoon, so I gave my lunch to him to have for his dinner. Since I get out of the office at noon on Fridays during the summer, I decided I would just make a lunch for me once I got home. Had lots of errands to run, and so I didn't get home till close to 2:00. By that time I was really hungry, and didn't care about healthy anything, so I grabbed a couple of burgers and threw them on the grill, popped them into some buns with some cheese, and had leftover potato salad from the night before. It was one plate of food, but I felt pretty heavy for the rest of the day.

When it came to suppertime, I was not hungry AT ALL, so I just made a large mug of herbal tea, and went to bed around 9:00.

So another No-S day down!

Today has started very nicely--for the first time in months and months, my husband and I had breakfast together--I made cheese omelettes for us with fresh OJ and toasted and buttered Boston Brown Bread. It has been years since I've had that; and it was absolutely wonderful--full of raisins and molasses. Maybe too much food info to share--but I'm so happy to be free to eat all these things that I have avoided for so long because of all the restrictions I placed on myself.

More good news--today was weigh-in day, and I've lost four pounds in the 8 days I've been doing this! It's amazing how much food I can eat and still lose weight. I know this is the early stage, and when you have as much weight to lose as I do, it comes off a little easier at the beginning (I figure I have about 100-120 pounds to lose, depending on how I feel as I get down there.)

I had shared this site with a friend of mine, we belong to the same weight loss support group. Her comment was that it seems too slow. She wants to lose more than 20, 25 or 30 pounds a year. I looked at her, reminded her that we had been in this same support group for over four years and were actually a little above our starting weight. If we had been doing this plan for four years, we would be nearly to our goals!

I don't want to be in this same place four years from now; I'm having a riot eating real food with other people, I'm relieved to be breaking free from habits that have done nothing but damage to me in the long run, and I'm losing weight and beginning to move! So I'm sticking with this--so far it's working for me! :D

Eatin' Free

day 9 success

Post by Eatin' Free » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:13 am

Things were good for the rest of the day on Saturday. I made some special tea cakes for a friend of mine from Australia who had recently celebrated her birthday. There was a little tasting of the cakes while assembling them, and I had one for dessert at her house after dinner. Other than that, it was just the three meals--on an S day!

Got up early to fix a quick breakfast for my husband, who has to head out of town for much of today, but since I plan to go back to bed for another hour or two, I'll wait to have breakfast myself. This is going to be a nice lazy Sunday!

Eatin' Free

Day 10 Success

Post by Eatin' Free » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:36 am

Well, in some ways today was like I thought it would be--a lazy day, lots of rest, but it also included eating a lot of food that was in the comfort mode, and I don't feel well. When I wrote down what I actually ate today, it was not horribly off the charts--three meals and a snack instead of three meals, but it was HEAVY on carbs and fat, low of protein, fresh fruit or veggies. Breakfast was fine--two egg omelet with pesto and a little cheese and fresh OJ, lunch was lemon/Parmesan risotto--one plate, but it was full; late afternoon snack was rice pudding and a roll, supper was two pieces of pizza and a small cold cut sandwich. No wonder I feel so off. And my eating schedule was way off from my Monday through Friday schedule. So again, technically a success since it's an S day, but I'm certainly learning what does not leave me feeling good.

I've got fruit ready for a smoothie for breakfast tomorrow; I picked up some dried powdered egg whites to add some easy protein. Definitely feel better when my carbs come from the fruits. Starchy carbs, at least in large amounts, don't seem to be working for me right now.

Eatin' Free

Some thoughts...

Post by Eatin' Free » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:51 pm

I was talking to my sister this morning about my experience over the weekend, and one thing that occurred to me was the rather mindless, driven feeling that I experienced for the first time since starting No S. I wasn't hungry when I snacked, and I certainly wasn't hungry for supper, but I ate anyway, feeling like I needed to take full advantage of an S day, since 5 N days were next. Now THERE'S an old pattern--eating more because deprivation appears to be ahead.

So after all that weird eating yesterday, here I am Monday morning, feeling yucky....and ready for some N days. I need to get my head around S days being just other days, and if I really WANT to, I can snack, have seconds, etc., but I don't HAVE to.

Ya know, after more than 50 years of eating, you would think I would have this thing down! :lol:

Eatin' Free

Day 11 Success

Post by Eatin' Free » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:39 pm

It actually felt like a relief to be back to a No S day--fewer decisions to make.

The hardest thing for me is to keep up with the walking. And we live in an area that's perfect for aimless walking, but for errands, that's another thing. I don't have time to take an hour to walk back and forth to the drug store for a couple of items, or two hours to walk to the library and back. Welcome to suburbia! So I guess I'll have to kick the aimless walking into gear.

Wait--it just occured to me that I might find some kind of compromise--driving down to the heart of town, and then walk to all my errand spots from there, instead of driving from place to place. Hmmmmm....I'll have to ponder some walking plans.

Anyway, Day 11 was a success, and Day 12 is starting nicely. More than half way to the 21 day goal!

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:36 pm

You write such an interesting description of your progress on No S. Congratulations on your success so far. I loved all the experiences you related about feeling yucky on weekends and also eating because you felt you had to get it all in before Monday. I agree totally. Until recently that was my pattern and it took me a lot longer to realize it than it did for you. You are a quick study.
I left for a month and I am back with new resolve and now also with new thoughts (from you) on how best to accomplish my goals. I do a lot of emotional eating and I am realizing I am really very seldom actually hungry because if I get busy and do something else, the feeling goes away. But I feel what seems like hunger when I am bored, lonely, sad, angry or just restless.
You are also right about your friend saying this was too slow for her and yet on other plans you haven't lost but gained. I rarely talk about this plan at work anymore because the gals I work with are always looking for a quick fix and then giving up and "blowing their diets" and looking for the next one. Not one of them has lost any weight in the 10 years I've worked there. I haven't lost that much but I've kept it off and I can enjoy the foods I like and eat what everyone else is eating. (I am also a foodie and love to cook). We like to have friends over and eat out with them or at their homes and I always thought I either couldn't do that anymore or I would just have to give up and stay fat but (fanfare please) there is a third choice and it is wonderful. No S and planning get togethers on weekends.

Stay focused and let time pass. (by the way, accidental brownie forks don't count but good catch). Welcome and keep the good ideas coming. I especially liked the idea of eating slow so you can finish supper while friends are eating dessert on a No S day. Gives one something to do besides drool. I love to keep in mind that any treat you want is never more than 5 days away. Hooray!!
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

Eatin' Free

Post by Eatin' Free » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words and input, pangelsue! You are very encouraging!

And I think I need it today--yesterday was technically a success, breakfast and lunch especially, but when I got to supper, I absolutely piled my plate and ate the whole thing! Two things contributed to that: One: I was eating MUCH later than planned. Try to eat by 6-6:30, didn't eat till 7:30, and Two: I had made a dish that I have not made in years, because I would not allow myself something that rich (it was homemade beef stroganoff). Talk about fat city--but it was delicious.

So knowing I was sticking to one plate, I piled on the noodles and stroganoff, telling myself I could save any leftovers that I didn't eat (right!), and then proceeded to inhale the food. It was back to my manic times--food tastes good at first, and then you are almost on automatic pilot, just scarfing it down because the process itself in some weird kind of way is comforting. Needless to say, great discomfort was the result. I ended the day with herbal tea and laundry, which at least kept me up long enough so some of that meal was digested before I went to bed!

Have a food hangover this morning :roll: , have not had breakfast yet, and may not for a while yet. Which will mean a later lunch. But I think it will work out all right. I brought smoothies with me for both meals, and they are satisfying without being heavy-making. For supper there is a moderate size portion of last night's meal waiting for me. I hope to savor and enjoy, and since there is not enough there for me to make a pig of myself, I should be able to be back on track again.

So, day 12 technically a success, but with lessons learned.

Eatin' Free

Quick report

Post by Eatin' Free » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:37 am

Not much personal time for the computer today, so I'll just quickly report that yesterday was a success, today's forecast is good, and I won't be reporting again until Monday evening or Tuesday morning. We are leaving early tomorrow for a camping weekend with a couple of our children and their families. Should be interesting experience of this system in the context of our foodie family! :lol: Full report when I return!

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:40 pm

I just love reading your check ins. They are great. Thanks for the inspiration, though you may not even realize that is what you are doing.

Great job!
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

Eatin' Free

YIKES!

Post by Eatin' Free » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:51 pm

First, I want to thank getnbusy for your kind words....just wish this post could be as inspirational as my earlier days!

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted; I meant to post after the weekend (which was SUPER successful, by the way--I was amazed!), but then the week kicked in and I've been off track since Tuesday! A lot of it is due to poor planning on my part. We leave for two weeks of vacation in upper Michigan on the 14th, and every year, before we leave, it's two weeks of basic hell and chaos in the office. We work for a camping program, and this is the time of year during which we crunch all the numbers, do reports, etc., as well as host evaluations with our volunteers. I'm putting in 12 to 14 hour days, and this weekend is going to be spent preparing for our camping trip and getting the house ready for the annual inspection by the conference trustees scheduled for 8:00 a.m. Monday morning. Preparing tasty and healthy food just has not been a priority, and I've fallen back to old junky food ways, including LOTS of chocolate (a lifelong comfort food/stress reliever).

Physically, I feel horrible, my mind is going all to mush again (junky food and lack of sleep), and I know I would feel better if I just ate simple, good food and let myself rest. It probably would have helped if I had posted here on Monday night as planned and begged for support! I will try to remember to do that in the future!

So, I made it through 18 days before crashing. I've had four bad days, and I'm just going to get back in the mode starting with supper tonight, followed by an early bedtime. I've already planned my meals for the weekend, allowing a little room from some S foods if I really want them, and I'll spend a little time this weekend preparing a plan for the week. THEN I have to work on the vacation plan. Eating at our campsite is not an issue; it's eating on the road which will be my biggest struggle. I know that technically vacation is all S time, but I have to remind myself that the key to that is the word "Sometimes"--once in a while snack, once in a while have seconds, once in a while have sweets. I can't do what I've been doing this week and feel good.

Well, back in the saddle again.

Good to see everyone else's posts--nice to have company on the journey!

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:42 pm

Sounds like you are being your own inspiration as usual. Those are all good ideas and the analysis of your 4 days off plan sounds right on. Just believe in yourself and the plan. Your life and health have to be as important as your job (I am talking from experience by the way). If you died tomorrow, your employers would have to survive and they would. For a while, you have to become your main focus. It will be better for you, your family and your employers if you are healthy, focused and happy. There are healthy short cuts meals when we are busy too, like fruit, already cleaned veggies, peanut butter sandwiches, fast food salads, chicken sandwiches, kids meals at Mickie D's etc. I tell myself when I grab corn chips, cheetos or M&Ms that I am too busy to eat healthy. The truth is, there are plenty of healthy fast foods (many of them right in my refrigerator) but when I am feeling stressed and tired, I want a food high to pick up my spirits. When we were kids and we were upset or stressing, mom didn't offer us broccoli, she offered us a cookie or candybar. We're just reverting to habit as you stated. Time to break the habit. Enjoy your vacation and the occasioanl treat but treat yourself to a healthier you too. For a real inspiration, read Josie's posts on the general discussion board. Lost 96 pounds. What a story!!!

Eatin' Free

Post by Eatin' Free » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:48 pm

Thanks, pangelsue! Everything you said is absolutely true; and thanks for the recommendation re: Josie's posts. I read them, and I've printed them (along with a few others I've found) to take with me on my trip to re-read for inspiration as needed on the road.

Interesting thing--ever since I posted yesterday, all the urgency and "buzz" has fallen away; I feel like I'm back to normal again, not driven to eat all the junk from the last four days. I'm about to go up and make some breakfast, food is planned for the rest of the weekend, and I am looking forward to some good success day numbers....!

18/4

Eatin' Free

Post by Eatin' Free » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:03 am

Made it! 21 days out of the last 25 were successes! Phew!

We are leaving for a little over two weeks starting Thursday for our annual vacation. Camping on the shores of Lake Superior! This will be the last time I will post until October 1 or 2, so I just want to wish you all well; looking forward to being a Luddite for a while! We'll be out of cell range and no computer access for two weeks is sounding pretty good to me right now!

Food is all planned and packed, and I've made a list of some things I would especially like to treat myself to while on vacation. I'm hoping that having a list will help to keep me on track to some degree--I know these are all S days, but I hope to not go all berserker as I have in vacations past.

Fortunately, hiking and biking will be a part of most days, so exercise will be cared for. I don't have a travel sledge hammer yet :wink: so I'll make do with some pilates stretches and moves that I can do in the privacy of our pop-up camper.

So, all that being said, I'll catch up with you all in October!

Peace, Valerie

Eatin' Free

Back from two weeks in heaven...

Post by Eatin' Free » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:35 pm

...AND I lost 3 pounds! On Vacation! This has never, never happened to me in my adult life...I think that perhaps because I had permission to eat anything and everything, since vacation is one long S time, that my mind relaxed and I did not feel driven to HAVE to eat certain special foods.

We always buy fudge up there and true to form, we did again, four pounds worth of different wonderful flavors. And when we unloaded everything at home this past Saturday, we STILL had the whole four pounds of fudge, waiting to be parceled out to friends and co-workers...and yes, I finally had a taste of many of them! mmmmmmmm.....

Meals for most days were simple, and most ended up being N days by default. This was the least food-driven vacation I have ever experienced. I still enjoyed all the meals, but I wasn't always thinking about the next meal. There were even a few times when we ate out that I left behind a good portion of what was served. That is not typical behavior for me!

The weather was gorgeous; we hit peak color time up there, and the trees, woods and forests were unbelievably beautiful; even the rainy days were full of light and color. Lots of sleeping, walking, biking. I sleep better in the camper (we have a pop-up) than I do at home.

So, all told, vacation went VERY well.

Now, the down side: Yesterday and today are not successful N days. One word: Fudge. While intake has been minimal, it's definitely off plan. I plan to be N the rest of the day, and through the rest of the week, I'll put the fudge up and away out of sight for the weekend.

Back in the saddle again....

Eatin' Free

Post by Eatin' Free » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:39 pm

Well, made it safely through the rest of yesterday, and today has started well. It's going to be one of those on-the-run days, so I made a couple large smoothies, one for breakfast and the other for lunch, so I won't have any excuses for missing a meal. Should be safely home by supper time.

One other thing missing since coming home has been any form of exercise (does unpacking count?? :D ), so I'll have to get walking again. I've signed up for yoga classes beginning in November, which I'm hoping will help with some flexibility issues I've been encountering.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:23 pm

Welcome back and many congratulations on the vacation weight loss!!! You must be so proud to have made it through all those unstructured days unscathed!! The fudge was just a temporary diversion. I am sure you will be back on track. Your vacation sounds great too. I love the outdoors and the freedom of the open air. We all need that from time to time. The memories of times like those warm even the coldest days.

Eatin' Free

Post by Eatin' Free » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:55 pm

Thanks for the kind words, pangelsue; I wish I could say I finally had a successful day this week, but I have not, including today already! I had a regular breakfast but REALLY wanted a hot chocolate, so I stopped at the arches and got a large to go, with 4(!) creams! Yikes! I know I'm already stressed by being back at the office, but I did much better before vacation than after. I feel like I've lost my rhythm; the pattern shifted, and it feels like I've got to start over again.

I've been reading hlidskjalf's posts, and I really like his pattern of recording the various systems he has going; I may borrow from his idea and track the different areas I want to address with these systems.

Food remains the biggie, so No-S reporting will be the priority. But while I was on vacation, there was a lot more movement, and being out of cell range and having no computer added another element of peace and freedom to life overall, so I'm thinking a form of Weekend Luddite will be incorporated, as well as some Urban Ranger monitoring. Don't feel quite ready for Shovel Glove, but maybe I'll start working some of the movements with a broom, just to get me started. Glass ceiling system is not an issue, unless I need to work my way up to two glasses a day! :)

I'll take it easy the rest of today, and start another 21 day session tomorrow. Of course, following the Luddite thing means I won't be reporting in till Monday.

See ya'll then...

Peace, Valerie