Not vanilla this time

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jibaholic

Not vanilla this time

Post by Jibaholic » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:53 pm

I've been registered for a long time but never succeeded. I've failed at enough diets that I know not to buy into the "this time it will work" feeling. But having said that, I do believe that I've set aside the plan to try something more radical like Paleo and/or IF in order to lose 10 pounds a month. The end result is typically four bowls of cereal at 10 PM.

Now I want something more flexible. Eating impulsively is *my* weakness. I know that if I don't have afternoon or midnight snacks I'll consume a lot less calories. Not trying to lose 10 pounds a week, but I'd like to lose 20 pounds in six months.

No S Diet + the following mods
  • NSA. Never snack alone. Obviously applies to S days only. Keeps my weekends from blowing up. I also think keeping the discipline of not snacking going is a good idea.
  • V = S. Vacation = S day. If I don't work and I'm not sick, it's an S day. No more trying to say no when my family gets ice cream or desert after dinner.
  • Workout Snacks. A light and healthy snack for workouts is ok. For example, I've started doing Orange Theory. The class starts at 6:45 so I have a light snack before Orange Theory and then eat dinner after. Another example is that my family has gotten serious about skiing, so I'll have a snack after skiing, and then a normal dinner. This rule trumps the NSA mod.
  • Watermelon mod. What can say except that I really really love watermelon. My son and I are usually good for one per day in the summer time when they're seasonal. So when it's the season, I can snack on watermelon. Trumps the NSA mod.
  • Best Effort Healthy mod. It's not required, but I try to eat healthy. No more following the letter of No S while eating three crap meals per day. But if I want a bagel for breakfast instead of fruit and Greek yogurt, I'm not going to beat myself up about it like I do while eating Paleo.

Jibaholic

Re: Not vanilla this time

Post by Jibaholic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:54 am

First day back from vacation, not much shopping done. So not a healthy day, but a successful day.

Breakfast: Bagel w/ cream cheese and an iced coffee
Lunch: Two cheeseburgers (the kids kind) from Burger King and a diet coke
Dinner: Chipotle burrito bowl with brown rice

Vacation went well. Family ski trip to Steamboat Colorado and followed the rules. Basically that meant easily following vanilla No-S except for having a post-ski snack like yogurt and/or granola bars, and having desert after dinner.

BackToThin

Post by BackToThin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 am

Howdy Jibaholic! I'm new here also.

Good job on first day back from vacation. Your explanation for why your vacation days counted as S-Days made me smile.
No-S Lifestyle (~Don't Eat Like An Idiot Diet) and re-learning how to eat like a normal person after failing post calorie counting. More than half a year of that sent me diving face first into a giant slice of cheese cake and ultimately fat again.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:24 am

Given your previous attempts and experience, these sound like wise mods. Are they working out, keeping you moderate while allowing for pleasure?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)