new member / old no s-er

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

KarenThomas

new member / old no s-er

Post by KarenThomas » Thu May 15, 2014 11:42 am

This is my first time to be on this forum. I did the No S diet about 3 years ago and did great. Lost 45 lbs slowly over nearly a year. Then I drifted away from it. I kept it off pretty well, until this past year. I am going back to this way of eating. I can't believe I ever stopped. So NEW DAY ~ FIRST DAY to get back in control.
Last edited by KarenThomas on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karen Thomas

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Welcome to the forum! I'm delighted to hear you had great success with it. It's always great to hear from someone who achieved so much with NoS. Looking forward to reading your thread.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu May 22, 2014 10:47 am

Welcome back to NoS & welcome to the discussion boards
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

KarenThomas

Karen Thomas thread to motivate myself

Post by KarenThomas » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:48 am

So here I am again, 2019, March 24. I never did get to going back on my NO-S diet, and boy, do I regret it. Just got back yesterday from a long trip to Maryland and D.C. What should have been enjoyable was made difficult by my physical health (and my husband and 30 year old son weren't much better off!). Climbing stairs, walking for long distances, whew, just exhausted the whole time. So now that we're back home in Flippin, Arkansas, I'm ready to make some major changes. I AM AN OVER-EATER and it has to stop! I hate those diets where you have to list and count and analyze everything. I always fail at those. This is the only thing that's EVER worked for me.
Karen Thomas

Soprano

Re: new member / old no s-er

Post by Soprano » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Welcome back and good luck

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

KarenThomas

Post by KarenThomas » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Today is the first day of NO-S for me this time around. I weighed 305.6 this morning. I am a 55 yr old menopausal woman, height 5'5", on a medium frame. I would be thrilled to get below 200 at this point. I made sure I ate protein this morning because I knew I wouldn't make it to lunch without snacking if I didn't. I look forward to feeling like I've got self-control again.

My son, who is 388 lbs, has agreed to do this with me. I am very excited to have his support and to see him get healthier. He's become frustrated with not being able to buy clothing easily and, as a 30 year old, it's just not cool for him to be obese like this.

Our family is struggling emotionally with the estrangement of our daughter. We saw her briefly when we went to MD this past week. She has set herself apart from us for reasons we cannot understand. So this determination to get back on NO-S is partly because I need to feel like there is something positive happening in our lives. I can't control anyone but myself, and I struggle with that. Discipline is needed to overcome the gluttony I have indulged my emotions with. I am NOT going to let the pain and frustration cause me to get even bigger. I feel that my body cannot take any more of this weight. It's reached it's limit.

I took the time this morning to sort out everything in the freezer. Getting meat thawed out for meals is something I often forget to do, probably an avoidance issue because I hate cooking! With Shawn's help, that will be easier to do.

So that's my daily check in... now to go and see 'what's for lunch'!
Karen Thomas

KarenThomas

Post by KarenThomas » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:59 pm

Soprano wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:29 pm
Welcome back and good luck

Jx
Thanks!
Karen Thomas

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:38 pm

So so sorry to hear about your daughter. Great news that your son is joining you.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:06 pm

So glad to see you back. Sorry for the family troubles. Take it slow and don't beat yourselves up over the occasional Red days we all encounter. Might I suggest a very gentle walking routine for an activity? Love the name of your town, Flippin, Arkansas.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

KarenThomas

Post by KarenThomas » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks for all the encouraging words! I can report that I made it through DAY 1 successfully! Around 8 pm, I felt the strong urge to snack, but I resisted! I am a substitute teacher and am working today, so I packed a lunch that's reasonable in size. So here I go into DAY 2, feeling stronger than yesterday! :D
Karen Thomas

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:04 pm

glad to hear about your successful start! Welcome back!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2