Beginagain's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

beginagain

Beginagain's Check In

Post by beginagain » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:04 pm

I'm back Again at Day 1. New check in, new start. At 58 year's old, a lifetime of yo yo dieting, and I just want normalcy. Normal eating and a normal weight. I'm 30 pounds overweight, and wish I wasn't. But counting calories, and weight watchers, etc., don't have the magic anymore, the scale never budges as it would in the past. My decision at this point is to get back to No S habits and at least not gain and hopefully over time gradually lose. Please, if anyone reads this, know that I know I've been an idiot to have left and am glad to be back.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:48 pm

Greetings beginagain! I can totally relate to your story - over 50, calorie counting no longer getting the results, scale never budging, dabbled with No S back in 2015, but didn’t quite get the process. I thought it was requiring loads of willpower for no results. But what I realise now is that gradually No S requires LESS willpower (unlike other methods which need more and more as the days pass by) and gradually you DO see results. Hope things go well for you this time! :)

beginagain

Post by beginagain » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:02 pm

Thank you Octavia! That is reassuring to hear your like experience. And you're so right about the other systems requiring More willpower as time goes on, I totally relate to that. When I would actually lose the weight, then it was like, oh no...now I have to keep doing this to keep it off. I was reminded of that yesterday where I work. A male patient who has lost 70 pounds using a calorie counting app, came in and I asked him if he was finding it easy to keep it up, and for some reason I think I was let down when he said NO. That he likes to eat and had to sit on his hands at a ball game with all the food around. He is looking forward to the competition he is in on his app to end. It was then that I realized that would be my experience again if I managed to lose counting calories. So here I am. Thanks again Octavia![size=9][/size]