Newbie here, first day done (10 kg)

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
azmodan79

Newbie here, first day done (10 kg)

Post by azmodan79 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:18 am

Greetings fellow shovelglovers, my 10kilo gym hammer arrived yesterday and I'm proud of having done the first 14 minutes this morning.

The weight is a little bit uncomfortable but manageable (I practice rowing and am quite fit already so I decided to jump to the 10kg size ), I started slow and worked up to a nice sweat, no soreness yet.

I usually do kettlebell exercises (20 & 24 kg) for about 30 mins (mainly circuit training i.e. swings, push ups and goblet squats for reps) 4 times a week when I'm not rowing so I was looking for a less taxing "workout", since the kb workouts are a bit exhausting (epoc is cool but the profuse sweating several minutes after the workout is not).

I am looking forward to document improvements in my fitness and work capacity (if any), since my baseline is not too shabby I don't expect massive improvements but I've learned to trust the "What the Hell" effect of kettlebells (https://www.strongfirst.com/what-the-hell/) and I'm confident the shovelglove practice will bring interesting alterations to the table.

Thanks Reinhard for the massive inspiration and well laid out explanations and reasoning behind the shovelglove "life hack"!

azmodan79

Post by azmodan79 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

Day 2 completed.
Almost no soreness from the day before but today felt a little bit harder, the Drive Fence movements were particularly hard (20 per side total).
Felt the most fatigue in the forearms (more than the kb workouts if that's even possible) and the shoulders.
Tomorrow and the day after I will do my usual kb, push ups and sandbag circuit workouts so I'll consider them "S" days.

azmodan79

Post by azmodan79 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 am

Almost two months in.
Drive Fence movement is now well oiled and manageable (able to do 2x15 sets without fatigue).
I'm not seeing a very marked improvement in general fitness but my overall shape is getting slightly better and my torso is getting a little bit leaner and less bloated.

Jonathanzz

Post by Jonathanzz » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:49 am

I think that this question is very good.