New here with a few questions

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Angie276

New here with a few questions

Post by Angie276 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi everyone ! Stumbled across this way of eating looking for a sensible way to lose weight post partum while breastfeeding. Can’t believe how simple and common sense this plan is and wish I found it earlier! I am a long time dieter with no long term results . After my second baby, I find myself at my highest weight ever and my eating habits mostly just munching and snacking all day.
I have followed this plan this week and have lost 3 lbs ! Really happy since I didn’t feel deprived and was actually excited to make meals for my family and eat them - for once in my life!
My exercise consists of chasing my toddler around all day lol .
I am just wondering a few things for the sweets part.
I drink 2 coffees a day and I add cream and sugar to both of them . Is this ok?
How about raisin bread from the bakery? To me it just tastes like white bread with raisins . But I know that white bread has a lot of sugar added to it .
And how about tasting while cooking? - snack?

Toughest times for me lately is trying not to finish off my toddlers food and not snacking when I wake up in the middle of night ( multiple times) with my baby for a feed .

Thanks for reading - looking forward to continued success with this plan!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Welcome! I would say you are off to a good start. I have been at this for many years after spending a lifetime never maintaining and always gaining more back on any other "plan" I tried. I think of NoS as maintenance. After all, that will be the rest of your life. So you are not on a diet and not getting off a diet.

My suggestion would be to get those snacks under control first. And yes, all those tastes and licks count. Maybe cut back gradually until you are drinking your coffee with no sugar because, of course sugar is a sweet. Raisin bread would not count as a sweet in my opinion, but it might be something you want to be sure you are not overeating. One piece as part of your plate for one meal probably meets the standard. However, later, when you are not chasing toddler and dealing with newborn maintenance, you might substitute another starch that would have more nutrients (sweet potato, rice, nonwhite bread).

Check back in and start working on those habits.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Glad to meet you, Angie!

Since you are just getting going, I'd say to regard the coffees as just fine. Later, you may feel one is enough, but don't try to rush that, I'd say. Just sticking to the three meals with no obvious sweets is enough to handle now, most likely.

Ditto the raisin bread. Though it's not written this way, I think a good rule of thumb is not to eat borderline foods that seem to make you want more and more. You'll know soon enough if the bread has that power. Otherwise, enjoy your one or two slices and move on to the rest of your day.

Isn't it great how making some rather comfortable changes gets your body to let go of some of the water it doesn't need anymore?

Tasting while cooking is a fuzzy area. It can be hard to be honest with yourself. Do I really need to take this much or taste this often to get the dish right? Try not to let it take too much of the edge of your appetite away. The first few bites of the meal taste and feel so much better with a strong appetite in place. That delight can be very reinforcing of keeping the to the confines of the meal.

See if you can develop the attitude of a French mom. The child's food is the child's food. Mommy's food is mommy's food. The middle of the night is when the body is busy digesting and building, etc. Putting food in is going to upset the process and make it have to start over. The body certainly doesn't need calories then.It will draw on its stores to meet the needs of you and your baby, if you are breastfeeding. Let it do its thing. And congrats on your new offspring!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)