Ideas for satisfying healthy winter lunches

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Soprano

Ideas for satisfying healthy winter lunches

Post by Soprano » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Soprano wrote:I've recently been having salads with a handful of mixed nuts and some unpasteurised cheese. I've really enjoyed it but not sure it will hit the spot during cold winter months..

Jx
automatedeating wrote:Yikes, good point. What will I do in winter when I crave warm foods? I'll have to find a "winter work lunch" default.
So what do you all do for lunch in the winter?

I'm thinking I could have my breakfast porridge for lunch and maybe toast and egg for breakfast. Problem is I'm sure some of my success is the lack of bread and carbs in my lunch which I haven't missed while it has been warm.

I work full time so need something easy to take with me

Soup might be a possibility
Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:49 pm

Soups are great with a boiled egg or 2, or a nice warm roast veg 'salad' with some protein. Also stews and curries are great to have a big pot of to take a bit to work and warm up.. good luck😀. Im heading into summer over here so I'm starting to enjoy salads, wraps yogurt etc..

sharon227

Post by sharon227 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:27 am

Another vote for soups! I especially like lentil or barley soups. I usually add a slice of whole grain bread, or make it a cup of soup and half a sandwich. Or I'll cram some salad and/or fruit on the plate with a small chunk of cheese along with the cup of soup.

Cynthya

Crustless quiche?

Post by Cynthya » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:24 pm

I’m planning to make soups on the weekend and package for my lunches at work. Also, this recipe for crustless quiche is wonderful and adaptable to whatever you like — I use Swiss cheese, onion and bacon for quiche Lorraine. Use heavy cream and it’s low-carb. You can reheat it gently in the microwave for a work lunch. I add some raw broccoli and ranch dressing, or a small salad. https://www.aprettylifeinthesuburbs.com ... ss-quiche/

Cynthya

Crustless quiche?

Post by Cynthya » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:28 pm

I’m planning to make soups on the weekend and package for my lunches at work. Also, this recipe for crustless quiche is wonderful and adaptable to whatever you like — I use Swiss cheese, onion and bacon for quiche Lorraine. Use heavy cream and it’s low-carb. You can reheat it gently in the microwave for a work lunch. I add some raw broccoli and ranch dressing, or a small salad. https://www.aprettylifeinthesuburbs.com ... ss-quiche/

Lady Crimson

Re: Ideas for satisfying healthy winter lunches

Post by Lady Crimson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:01 am

Soprano wrote:
Soprano wrote:I've recently been having salads with a handful of mixed nuts and some unpasteurised cheese. I've really enjoyed it but not sure it will hit the spot during cold winter months..

Jx
automatedeating wrote:Yikes, good point. What will I do in winter when I crave warm foods? I'll have to find a "winter work lunch" default.
So what do you all do for lunch in the winter?

I'm thinking I could have my breakfast porridge for lunch and maybe toast and egg for breakfast. Problem is I'm sure some of my success is the lack of bread and carbs in my lunch which I haven't missed while it has been warm.

I work full time so need something easy to take with me

Soup might be a possibility
Jx
Last winter I kept oatmeal at my desk to eat at lunch. Reinhard mentioned using oatmeal for lunch in the NO S Diet book and I have found it to be good in the winter. Oatmeal is filling and can be prepared only using hot water--which is available in many offices and workplaces.

In addition, oatmeal is versatile. A couple of years ago, I was introduced to the concept of savory oatmeal and found it delicious. Savory oatmeal is where you add savory toppings instead of sweet ones. For example, bacon bits, chives, salt and pepper, etc. If you search the internet for savory oatmeal, you will find many other suggestions.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks, I hadn't thought of savoury oatmeal. Up until Christmas I was still finding satisfaction with salad nuts and cheese but it hasn't been too cold here yet...

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.