Advice from long time no s ers??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Panther

Advice from long time no s ers??

Post by Panther » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:29 am

Hi there, I'm trying to really commit to no s this time and was wondering what advice you can give if you're a long time no s Er? Like what helped you stay on course year after year after year.... :)

Whosonfirst

Re: Advice from long time no s ers??

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Panther wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:29 am
Hi there, I'm trying to really commit to no s this time and was wondering what advice you can give if you're a long time no s Er? Like what helped you stay on course year after year after year.... :)
From my viewpoint which may not be shared by everyone, the Number One way to make NoS work, or should I say commit to NoS or any habit is to log your check-ins on a daily basis. After the habit is established, maybe every few days but at least once per week. You will get lots of feedback from many different people on here, many who have similar problems and can offer advice.
Weekly goal = Five Green days in a row. I do a BMI check by looking in a mirror.
Orig. SW(7/2016)= 226/ SW(reboot) =217-3/7/2018
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4A-zlrYSA0

automatedeating

Re: Advice from long time no s ers??

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi Panther!

I'm with Whos about regular logging. I have logged on here for almost 6 years, with a few months here and there where I really went wild. I use the daily check in as my food journal and life journey journal. :-) I also track a few other various life goals. It centers me and gives me a starting place for my mornings.

I also think having the same meals every day on N Days (for the most part) is a huge key for me. Breakfast and lunch are almost always the same, dinner is protein + vegetables. Easy to plan & shop for, easy to stick to, and easy to log (in seconds, really).

For me (and boy this one is controversial) I weigh every day and record it. That works for me because I don't appear to suffer from diet head like many people do. To me, it's just a number to log and watch for trends, nothing to ruin my day one way or the other. All that said, I think I'm in the minority that doesn't have some sort of visceral reaction to weighing. :lol:

Lastly, I have noticed that I am able to forgive myself for going off the rails. I have self-compassion about my eating and I don't internalize bad food choices as anything bad "about me". I think I'm just lucky that way (it goes along with not having diet head), but I can see the contrast with some other areas in my life. I am becoming a huge believer that perfectionist thinking and self-blaming is a giant reason that we fail at our goals. Many of us are masters of self-sabotage.

So..... all that to say I recommend doing some internal work about those issues and find where they occur in your life, then work to be gentler with yourself. I think we all have these problems, but they crop up in different spots.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3; 8/14-24.5; 5/15-26.2; 1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6; 8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9; 3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8; 1/19-23.4; 2/19-22.7; 3/19-22.1