Should I?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jackieO

Should I?

Post by jackieO » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:52 pm

Hi everybody - what a nice warm board this is... I would like to introduce
myself before taking part:

I am from Germany (so please excuse any strange wordings), 182 cm tall and at the moment at my highest weigt ever: 76 kg. I am not overweight, but I don't like those extra-kilos. Would love to lose about 8 or 9 Kilos. But
most of all I would love to lead a life not obsessing over food the whole
day which is what I currently do! I am sort of an emotional eater which
means I eat when bored, stressed or sad. In the past months / years I tried Weight Watchers (did not work because of all this calculating), Food
Journaling (did not work because of constantly obsessing about wrinting
everything down), eating only when hungry (I really could not distinguish
between appetite and hunger) and even a diet "Amapur" where you had to eat every hour and only artificial food (bäh!). And now I found you. But I am a bit pesimistic about it. I tried so many forms of eating so I am not sure if I should try another form... What do you think? Any chance that I will learn this way of life?

What I really like about it is its simplicity. This is a motto I try to
implement as a lifestyle overall...

So thank you in advance for any insights!
jackieO

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:36 am

Hey - welcome aboard!

As Reinhard says on his board, and about everyone else here can attest to, the best thing about this diet is that it's sustainable. Likek you said, all the others might work in the short term but it's nearly impossible to keep it up long term.

But by my own experience, I could keep doing No-S the rest of my life. It is quite managable, I've been doing it about a year and a half (starting, fittingly enough, after a very gluttonous weekend invloving massive quanitites of chocolate cake and other delights).

It tooke me about a week to adjust to no snacks (I was always snacking at work), finding the proper portions and times for meals is key here. Seconds was only a problem at Chinese buffets. Sweets are still the hardest, and when I do mess up it's almost always because of sweets.... but still quite reasonable.

Good luck-

Samurai

Re: Should I?

Post by Samurai » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:32 pm

jackieO wrote:Hi everybody - what a nice warm board this is... I would like to introduce
myself before taking part:

I am from Germany (so please excuse any strange wordings), 182 cm tall and at the moment at my highest weigt ever: 76 kg. I am not overweight, but I don't like those extra-kilos. Would love to lose about 8 or 9 Kilos. But
most of all I would love to lead a life not obsessing over food the whole
day which is what I currently do! I am sort of an emotional eater which
means I eat when bored, stressed or sad. In the past months / years I tried Weight Watchers (did not work because of all this calculating), Food
Journaling (did not work because of constantly obsessing about wrinting
everything down), eating only when hungry (I really could not distinguish
between appetite and hunger) and even a diet "Amapur" where you had to eat every hour and only artificial food (bäh!). And now I found you. But I am a bit pesimistic about it. I tried so many forms of eating so I am not sure if I should try another form... What do you think? Any chance that I will learn this way of life?

What I really like about it is its simplicity. This is a motto I try to
implement as a lifestyle overall...

So thank you in advance for any insights!
Welcome to the board.

I understand there is a diet in Germany that many people follow, called the Half-Day diet, or Dinner Cancelling. Have you ever heard of this or tried it perhaps?
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:43 am

Welcome to the group, JackieO (and to the diet, too, I hope!). Your English is wonderful, much better than my German (I confess this to my shame: my parents are German and I studied a year in Freiburg).

Trying and failing is expensive. It's depressing and wastes time. You're right to be cautious. But unfortunately, when one has a problem that needs solving, one doesn't have much alternative but to risk failure...

Given that you have to take a risk, is this one worth it? I think so. Not just because it's great if it works (simple, sustainable, pleasant and all that) but because the required investment is limited: no extra money (it'll save you money!) and just just three weeks. Yes, it might take you longer than three weeks to build the habit, but at the very least you should have a good sense then as to whether this can work for you, whether it's worth additional investment of time and effort, and best case scenario you'll have the habit, you'll have the most difficult part under your belt.

It's not necessary, but you might want to consider doing a daily check in here. If that feels too exhibitionist, try slashing days off a calendar instead. Both are easy, direct, unobtrusive ways to monitor progress, without all the psychological side effects of obsessive scale stepping or carborie counting.

Best wishes, whatever your decision.

jackieO

I will try it!

Post by jackieO » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:56 pm

I thought about it yesterday and today and this morning I read the No-S-Homepage and really, you are sooooo right. Everything does make sense. I really think that my snacking is just a bad habit and I don't like that habit. I always feel so out of control when snacking. Thanks for the encouragement Reinhard; I will try those three weeks and after that I will decide if this is a way of life for me - Oh, think about it! It would be so great to live like this; three nutrious and delicious meals a day, no more snack bars, no more thinking "Is this allowed or not?" or "How will I compensate for this chocolate bar?" and so on. And on the weekend it is totally okay to have some chocolate or fries or something like that without any guilty feelings afterwards. And you don't have to tell anybody!

Navin, thank you for your insight view, it really helps to know that you were able to stop snacking because I always snack when bored in the office so this is a great encouragement.

Samurai, I am not sure about the Half-Day-Diet but I know the Dinner Cancelling approach. It means that you should give your digestion a break while sleeping and this break should be about 14 hours or something around that number. This means if you have breakfast at eight in the morning you should have dinner at six in the evening. The numbers vary. There are people who have their last meal at four! I think one can combine it with NoS... Would you like to try it?

Reinhard I thought that your name sounds very German - no wonder with German parents!

I am off to start my daily check-in thread :D
jackieO