jackieO's three willpower weeks

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jackieO

jackieO's three willpower weeks

Post by jackieO » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:58 pm

Tomorrow is my first NoSDay. I think I am very brave to start on a monday :shock:
jackieO

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:05 pm

Jackie, I am so glad you have decided to join us! I will look forward to reading your check-in post every day. Best wishes!!! :D

Kevin

Good luck...

Post by Kevin » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:34 pm

You'll do great. I started on a Friday - That was a stupid day to start. It'll be a tough week, but by Saturday you'll be on your way.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

jackieO

Post by jackieO » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:52 pm

Thanks Kevin and Jan-tz for your support :D

OK, my first day!

It went really well, I had breakfast and lunch and dinner and nothing inbetween - this was a real success because normally I snack in the evening. But I didn't even think of going to the vending machine, it wasn't allowed today, so basta!

But... after dinner I went to the cinema with a friend and she bought "weingummi" for both of us. I really don't know the English word, it is something like jelly beans. To cut a long story short I had a few of them.. definitely a snack and something sweet.

But anyway I feel good with the rest of the day! Tomorrow will be better!
jackieO

jackieO

Second Day

Post by jackieO » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:23 pm

The same as yesterday. It went really well the whole day but after dinner I had some ice cream (grrrrr...). But I am proud that I nearly made it. Tomorrow is another day!
jackieO

jackieO

Post by jackieO » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:50 am

Yesterday was :cry:

But I start again today! The really difficult part for me is snacking combined with sweets in the evening... (well, difficulties with two out of three...) OK, so today is day one again!
jackieO

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:49 am

You're on the right track, Jackie. The trick to accomplishing anything worthwhile in life is simply being willing to begin again...over, and over,and over!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:46 pm

Hi JackieO,

Two reasons to take heart, despite the weingummi incident:

1. Remember that you're never more than 3 weeks away (or so) from building a new habit.

2. You're learning from this. You now know which esses at which times of day are the most difficult for you and will be especially on guard against those. It might take a few tries to hit three solid, successful weeks, but as long as you're learning, and making a bit more progress each try, you're in good shape. And the nice thing about messing up on day 1 is that the bar to do better next time is very low!

jackieO

Post by jackieO » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:24 am

Thanks for your support everybody!

It's Friday morning here in Germany and so I won't talk about yesterday but live today :wink:

I really want those three weeks to go! And this is the funny part - even though I failed the last days I am not discouraged because I know I need to try it again and will succeed in the end. And this is because I know it is possible to live like that, I felt that on Monday.

So this is gonna be a real NoSDay (after all I don't have to wait a long time for the SDays...)
jackieO

Kevin

Good luck!

Post by Kevin » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:27 pm

I started No S on a Friday and it worked well for me... I've been incident free for three weeks today.

It's do-able. I have no excess of willpower and I've pulled it off so far. On Saturday and Sunday, try not to stray too far. Maybe bigger meals or just a dessert, but maybe try not to go crazy. It worked/works for me.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

jackieO

Post by jackieO » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:28 pm

Day 1B SUCCESS

No Snacks
No Sweets
No Seconds

In the afternoon I was really starving but I made it, yippie!

Breakfast: 2 slices of bread with curd and jam, 1 apple
Lunch: Salad, Fries and Fruits (not really on ONE plate but I watched the portion size!)
Dinner: Burger

And now I am totally satisfied. Good night!
jackieO