already walk

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
joasia

already walk

Post by joasia » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:56 pm

I am overweight, but walking is no problem because I have a hyper dog that really needs his walk. When I go to work I walk 3 miles a day. On weekends and holidays (when I have more time) I walk the 3 miles twice which is 6 miles. It is harder to do the 6 miles in the winter because it gets dark sooner and I don't feel safe walking in the dark. I am looking into finding a buddy or two so I can walk after dark. So this works even for someone needing to lose 90 pounds. But walking alone won't do it. You have to modify your eating.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:49 am

Glad to hear you're already doing this.

I don't think anything alone will do it. People compensate for virtue in one realm with astonishing efficiency by vice in another. Moderate effort from several directions (diet, strength exercise, cardiovascular exercise) is both easy and pleasant (it's moderate, after all), effective, and there's no sneaky back route to vice to compensate.

Reinhard