could it be the exercise?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ginjer

could it be the exercise?

Post by Ginjer » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:08 am

Well, I"ve been reading around and I noticed that most (if not all) of the no-s dieters have been doing alot of exercise, and came to think- could it be that the most of the weight being lost isn't because of the food factor but actually because of all that exercise?
I"m more than sure of the fact that by practicing no-s you eat less and in a more structured way, wich automaticly helps you lose weight, but do you think that if you wouldn't be changing your eating habits but still getting the same amount of exercise you wouldn't lose weight?

I hope I sounded at least a bit clear, it's just abit hard explaining all that in English :P.

Anyway, it"ll be nice to hear your thoughts about the subject,

Ginjer

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:11 pm

I did lose 20 pounds on pure no-s, without any exercise. But I lost even more after, once I started shovelglove and urban ranger. And long term, I think there's no question you need both diet and exercise. The problem is too much input, too little output. It's much easier and more sustainable to adjust a bit on both ends than a whole lot on one (though I guess it is theoretically possible: witness all those creatine swilling muscleheads). No-s is a little adjustment. But it is an adjustment. Give it time and it'll make a difference. Because it's little it's easier and more pleasant to give it that time. Stick a little exercise on the other, output, end and you'll get even faster, surer progress.

Though I do think what I do makes a critical difference, I'm not sure it qualifies as a whole lot of exercise... 14 minutes a day x 5 = 70 minutes a week dedicated (shovelglove) exercise a week plus walking where I have to go anyway doesn't exactly qualify me as a workout fiend. I take it that you're already doing moderate, regular exercise? If so, don't worry, you shouldn't need anything more on that end.

I like you diet skepticism, Ginjer! Keep it coming.

Ginjer

Post by Ginjer » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:40 pm

I did lose 20 pounds on pure no-s, without any exercise. But I lost even more after, once I started shovelglove and urban ranger.
thats exactly what I was looking for :) I like the way you answer questions straight to the point.

the thing is, I work 8:00- 20:00 and take the train to work, and by the time I get back home I"m just terribley tired, so I decided that the least I could do is walk home from the train station in the evening (thats 20 minutes) and do 50 sit ups before bedtime (18 years of being a lump came right at back me, so I"ll do more gradually).
I know thats not alot, but its a start.
I also sit on the 15th floor so I was thinking of taking the stairs half way and the elevator the rest but my uniform is made out of really non breathing material and I"m kinda worried about the consequences of that :oops: .

anyway, I"m sure with time I"ll be able to find something more usefull, and by the way, I have to say I feel I"m doing quite well for now.
I started tuesday, got thrue 2 s days and yesterday wich was a jewish holiday (that counts for special right?) and I felt that I wasn't over doing it with the food.

Thanks for helping out, I find that having someone answering my questions and not having to look it up in a book is much more helpfull.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:44 pm

Hi Ginjer :)
Everyone here is really different from each other... I am almost 38, and absolutely have to exercise for anything to happen with my body... But if I wasn't combining it with NoS, I'm certain, that even if I was still exercising a lot, I'd probably be gaining weight.... My metabolism is so radically different than what it was 20 years ago when I was your age...
Don't overanalyze this too much... It's a simple healthy way of eating and the proof will come when you try it... Good luck.
Deb

margaret

Post by margaret » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:46 pm

Good to know exercise is helpful, but not critical. I am doing spinal decompression therapy now for a herniated disc, hoping in the near future to be able to walk and resume Pilates - I do love an exercise I can do lying down (besides that- which at my size classifies as aerobic anyway). I love reading about the shovelglove, but I"m afraid I'd knock myself out. The premise behind functional fitness is excellent.
"E're she looked for the good, e're she found it.
Annie May Quigg 1891-1996

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:29 pm

Margaret, ha ha! amen, sister. The first thing I'd do with that shovelglove is aim it at my head. Or let go accidentally on an upward swing and watch it go hurtling through the drywall ceiling. nobody should trust me with anything more than a frisbee. ah well.
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:48 pm

Everyone sure IS different. I haven't been doing a bit of exercise but my weight keeps inching down. I have always found that exercise doesn't affect my weight loss, regardless of what I'm doing diet wise, but it absolutely makes me feel better and look more toned.

There were times in my life I was an avid jogger, and still had to watch what I ate to lose. All the charts I have seen show the actual calories burned in proportion to what I think is lots of exercise is amazingly small.

It's interesting to me how we are all biologically so much the same, yet in many ways, biologically so different. That's why we have to find the right combination of activity and eating that works for our individual selves.

peetie2

3lilgals4me

Post by 3lilgals4me » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:12 pm

My experience goes along with Peetie's....exercise is more of an added bonus but does little to actually get the weight to go down. (Is that something like what she said?) I do like to exercise a bit though. But, I feel that the key for me will be the simple structure and portion control of no-sing and getting to the point of also controlling s days and making overall healthier choices. Hard to compare if it is age that has made a difference though b/c when I was younger I worked harder which included lots of walking in my work day, smoked and flirted with a variety of eating disorders. Factor out those and I am left seeking "normal" eating habits and enough activity to burn a few calories and improve my muscle tone and stamina.
Judy

peetie

Post by peetie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:37 pm

Yes, 3lilgals4me, that is exactly what I was saying. Infact, I decided to up my exercise yesterday because I haven't been sleeping well, and found my appetite went up too. But I ate to accommodate the increased appetite and didn't gain any weight. I think, for me, exercise is something that helps more in the maintenance department than the losing.

Your eating history sounds so very much like mine. My main goal is to eat in a normal, fairly healthy manner and stay off the diet/binge merry-go-round that I have found myself on for literally decades. A little weight loss and then maintenance would be great side effects, since at the present time, I'm not too far over my ideal weight.

peetie2

fawnmarie

Post by fawnmarie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:13 pm

Exercise doesn't really increase the calorie demand that much, compared to basic metabolic rate. At least not in the short term. Muscle building increases the basic metabolic rate in the long run - but the actual calories burned during the exercise isn't that much when you look at the numbers.

Personally, I like to exercise to keep things moving - circulation, lymph, digestion, and lets face it, we're designed to move around a lot. But it rarely does anything for me weight loss - or even fat loss - wise.

Fawn