milczar's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:20 pm

B= two large slices stuffed crust pizza from pizza hut. orange juice.

L=thai restaurant: bowl of noodle soup, sauteed shrimp in curry-like sauce, fried rice with tofu and vegetables, one chocolate mint (didn't count as failure, because it was a breathe mint and very small) yes, technically it was two servings with the soup, but the second serving didn't fill the whole plate. with so much weight to lose, I don't think this was a deal breaker.

D=tba, have the flu, may not eat

walk: NO, the fires are raging in CA. air is horrible.

Day One, and lifetime to go.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:34 pm

B=none
L=hot dog with ketchup, mustard, relish, french fries
D=tba

plan to walk
no alc
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:51 am

ok, I go back and forth. some part of me wants this to be a good thing. but a very big part of me doubts it could work. i have no grounds for doubt, considering that i have never given it a full effort.

b= italian sub sandwich

l=3 chicken tacos with rice, salsa, guacomole, Jose's

d=mcdonalds quarter pounder with cheese (I think I ate half of it), some fries, 6 chicken nuggets, coke

s=crackers (8), 1 wedge cheese, grape juice

not a healthy stellar day, but I didn't feel I bigged out. weight stayed same.

-if I cut out alcohol, eat more at home, and walk, I could probably lose, I hope

I am tempted to go to ww, for speed sake, but I get so hungry and crazed on ww

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:23 pm

I know I have been back and forth. But if weight watchers really was to work for me, it wouldn't be so gosh darn hard to stick to. So I am going to really try to stick with nos. It is the only thing that makes sense. And I will try to work on my patience, I really need to.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 pm

You're right: this is the only thing that really makes any sense.

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:53 am

B= 2 slices whole wheat toast with butter, 1 orange

L= 1 cup split pea soup, homemade, grape juice

D=ham and cheese sandwich, covered, potato salad

I think that was it, had a fever, not feeling well

success

no walk
no alcohol

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:57 am

B=cup of split pea soup, 2 toasts with butter

L=1 orange, vegetable juice, 2 corn tortillas with beans and cheese and salsa, 1 chocolate pudding cup

D=pork chop, potatoes, carrots, grape juice, cup of cherries

I think that was it, still a little sick

success

no walk
no alcohol

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:33 am

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:55 pm

Friday, December 28, 2007

B= 2 french roll sandwiches, one with butter, ham, tomato, and onion and one with butter, cheese, tomato, and onion, both covered

L=tba

D=tba

no alcohol
no walk, probably not today

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:29 pm

okay, I will admit that I ate like some crazed pig through Christmas. It wasn't pretty. You know that commercial where they say "we tend to ignore the food pyramid during the holidays" and the woman sticks her face under a cascading fountain of melted chocolate. That was basically me. Although sweets are not my downfall. Doesn't matter, I eat plenty other stuff to make up for it. Well I can't rule out nos, until I give it a fair shake (which I have not). I know I have said this a million times before, but I just will keep trying until I get it or die from obesity. Whichever comes first. So I am sticking to three meals today, even if I am stuffed from days of ignoring all rules. Here goes nothing, again.

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:31 pm

I will post my lunch and dinner, just because I am white knuckling it today.

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:43 pm

okay, it is noon, so far so good
still 12-28-07

B= as previously mentioned

L=3 slices pizza and a few sips oj

d= tba

no snacks, check
no sweets, check

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:26 pm

okay, still struggling, still here. I look at the things i put on my plate and wonder how many points that is. I wonder how I could ever lose weight eating that. But, yet, I don't stick around long enough to see results. That is my whole downfall.

B=plate of seafood linguine from Macaroni Grill. Lots of oil and butter, not good I think, but one plate.

L=tba

D=tba

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:35 am

Feb. 4, 2008

B= about 10 Hershey's kisses (I know chocolate), coffee black

L= 3/4 BRC burrito with salsa, 1 slice pizza with extra cheese, and the toppings off of another slice, ice tea

D=one can condensed tomato and rice soup, crackers with avocado and cheese

265 (weigh in)
no alcohol
no walk

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:45 am

2-5-08

B=whole bagel with cream cheese, coffee with two little half and halves

L=2 halves canned peaches, bowl of homemade lentil soup, sandwich with two slices rosemary bread with cheese, avocado, and tomato

D=tba

no alcohol
wi: 260.5
probably no walk

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:17 pm

2-6-08

B=potato chips and orange juice and 3 tortilla chips with salsa, one cookie

L=Wendy's fish sandwich, medium fries with ketchup, ice tea

D=?

no alcohol
walk=maybe

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:18 pm

2-6-08

B=potato chips and orange juice and 3 tortilla chips with salsa, one cookie

L=Wendy's fish sandwich, medium fries with ketchup, ice tea

D=?

no alcohol
walk=maybe

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:18 am

March 3, 2008 Monday

B=Carl's Jr. bacon, egg, cheese burrito, ketchup, hash browns, coffee black

L=Mexican restaurant= rice and beef in sauce

D=glass of grape juice, 4 medium pretzels, 1 piece of chocolate Rochell's with a hazelnut inside

no walk
no alcohol
LA=3/1/2008

Weigh in = 266
Praying
praying

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:16 am

March 4, 2008

I started out today with the "I will do weight watchers if it is going to kill me" mind set. By the time I went on a walk in the evening I was so hungry, that I actually raided an orange and a grapefruit from the trees in the grove I was walking through with my dog. So back to the sanity of nos. God help me.

B= none, this is part of the problem, I skip this meal and then I am ravenous in the evening, but not hungry in the morning

L=IN n Out cheese burger and fries, ketchup, ice tea no sugar, they have fairly small burgers and fries

D=1/2 an orange, 1 medium grapefruit, cup of chicken noodle soup, fillet of chicken breast with pineapple, baked potato with margarine and sour cream, corn

walked the dog probably 2 to 3 miles
no alcohol

yesterday, I did well and then totally pigged out in the evening =( So this morning wi was 267. Today is another day

I will continue to eat three times a day, avoid alcohol (as I always eat too much when I drink), and walk and see where that leads me

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:40 am

My small changes will be:

1) No alcohol, so many reasons, I have been using it as a crutch for too many years and it is affecting my health

2) Walk everyday, the dog and I need it

3) Eat nos, stop trying to stick to weight watchers, this is for life, not for a few months

other than that;

-try to make meals at home and limit eating out, it is expensive, you can't control the ingredients, the portions are enormous

-try to avoid fast food whenever possible, it is crap

-and on that note eat real and tasty food

This is doable for me. I don't have to be 100% considering I am going through tough personal times. But I can do this. I am praying for God's help through these tough times. I don't want to be another 10 years down the line and struggling with my weight to this extent.

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:43 am

okay, so I overate today. I did however walk and avoid alcohol, so that is a plus.

tomorrow is another day

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:42 pm

March 13, 2008

B=1 and a half pancakes with margarine and syrup, a turkey bacon and tomato melt sandwich, some fries

L=half a slice of cake

D= Spaghetti Factory Restaurant, plate of half and half spaghetti with marinara and spaghetti with clam sauce, bread and butter, broccoli with butter, salad with ranch, lots of alcohol (which I need to cut out)

S=some crackers and cheese

not a good day, but I am trying to be more conscious and not just give up with a slip up

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:43 pm

March 13, 2008

and a few bites of ice cream, it is a wonder why I am fat

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:46 pm

March 14, 2008

hangover

B=6 inch sub with ham and cheese, mayo and mustard, a few chips, a little potato salad

L=6 inch sub with ham and cheese, mayo and mustard, a few chips, half a soda or 3/4

D=large bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup, chicken breast stuffed with cheese, asparagus, and ham, a french roll with butter, grapefruit juice

No alcohol
no walk

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:48 pm

writing it down makes you realize that your diet is ugly. but I am trying to take steps to change it for good not just go on a diet.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:40 am

The Spaghetti Factory is so wonderful!! My husband and I have eaten at several of them around the country. Love that mizithra cheese, except I'm allergic to dairy, so I pay afterwards, but, oh, it's so yummy!

Try not to get discouraged. Seems like you are taking four steps in the right direction: (1) you are recognizing the source of your problems; (2) you want to do something about them; (3) you're sticking with No-S; and (4) you're praying for God's help. I know this is tough for you, but keep going and keep posting how you are doing.

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:45 pm

March 15, 2008

B= none, ate too much yesterday

L= one plate: chicken breast stuffed with asparagus, cheese and ham (homemade and sauteed by mom), mustard, slice of wholegrain bread and butter, two orange wedges

D=tba

no alcohol, yes
walk, we will see

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:45 pm

Your lunch sounds so good!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:37 pm

How are you doing today?

I answered your earlier questions on my check-in!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi Milczar,

Hope you're doing well. I answered some questions on my thread, and send you a message.

KCCC

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:03 am

St. Patrick's Day March 17, 2008

B= farmer boy's: bacon and eggs, hash brown, ketchup, toast with margarine, one biscuit with gravy, half a bottle of oj, black coffee

L=grilled cheese, salad with ranch dressing, baked chips, some canned fruit, cottage cheese

s=one lollipop, one pretzel, one snack size kit-kat

d=mcdonald's cheeseburger, some chicken nuggets with sauce, half a large fry or so, ice tea

I think that is all, I didn't track very well and if it had been on one plate it would have been ugly

I ate too much and portions were probably too big but there were some saving graces:

-walked 3-4 miles
-avoided alcohol
-ate less than usual

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:18 am

It wasn't all bad, I actually went to bed not stuffed, even a little hungry. So I know I didn't overeat. Baby steps. Tomorrow try to cut out snacks.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:19 am

Every positive thing you do is a step in the right direction. Just keep going! :D

God bless.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Keep it up!

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:03 pm

March 18, 2008 Tuesday

B=large bagel with cream cheese, coffee black

L=chicken breast sauteed and stuffed with ham, cheese, and asparagus, fettucine noodles plain, 16oz. vegetable juice, 2 tangerines

D=tba

Goal:
-walk dog like yesterday
-no alcohol

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 pm

Walking the dog and no alcohol are two mini-successes on its own! Good going!

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:44 pm

3/18/08

Almost binged, but I am in it for the long hall. Instead of overeating and drinking and sitting, I will walk the dog in an hour. I think when you are fat, you don't feel hunger much because you eat too much. So feeling hunger 3 times a day for the first time in a long time is difficult. But I know that if I stick with it, the hunger will subside. Also, having to be conscious of what I grab and put in my mouth. I never realized how much I really snacked between meals.

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:03 am

ok, did not do so well. I am so mad at myself. Maybe some people are destined to be fat. I guess I will pick up tomorrow.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Don't give up...fat is definitely not your destiny.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:45 am

No one is destined to be fat. Just keep going. Celebrate your successes, no matter how small. Move on from your failures, no matter how large.

You're in my prayers!

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:54 pm

ok, still going, crawling, but going

B=1 kaiser roll with butter, tea

L=2 open faced sandwiches, one with pate and pickle, one with butter, ham, and pickle

D=tba

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Sometimes, I think maybe I am destined to be fat. My mom, grandmother, and great-grandmother all were, there has to be some genetics in there somewhere. Or maybe the only way I can lose is through stricter dieting than this system.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:57 am

Have you ever been able to establish the habit, without worrying about whether the weight was coming off? Maybe if you could do that and then get stricter with food choices, then that would work?

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:25 am

You are right, Blondie, I should stop focusing on losing weight. It is like the watched pot that won't boil. Habit is something I should focus on.

March 22, 2008 Saturday

B=2 hard boiled eggs, 2 slices buttered bread, 2 tangerines, coffee with milk

L=potato chips, prime rib, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetables, bread

D=chicken and tortilla casserole, vegetables, macaroni and cheese

2 popsicles

walked dog
no alcohol

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Well my weight went down, that is good news, I will keep going. One day at a time.

Easter

B=2 open faced sandwiches, tea

L/D=mom's house tba

walked dog this morning

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:23 pm

It is an S day. Here is where I have always fallen. I get into the mindset of "I will do N day eating on this S day". So today, I will have a treat, maybe go out to eat and really do the S day. Because without the S days, the N days are difficult. So that is my plan, we will see.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:32 pm

I find S-days hard too... but proactive treats DO help. :)

Hang in there.

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:34 am

April 2, 2008

B= 3 slices bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns, 1.5 slices buttered toast, ketchup

L=3/4 of a chicken sandwich with avocado and cheese, 1/2 order of fried zucchini with ranch, 1 soda

D=small piece of steak, 1/2 a sausage, potatoes, salad with oil and vinegar

no walk
no alcohol

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:51 pm

4/6/08 Sunday

A huge failure. It was mass emotional eating. Started out good.

B= 2 open faced sandwiches

L=one plate: pork chop, sauteed cabbage, mashed potatoes, tangerine

S=candied popcorn, lots of licorice, eaten from container, uhh

S=McDonald's ice cream cone, half a cheeseburger, 4 chicken nuggets

-grapefruit juice

-one and a half tacos, burrito

-cheese

-things I don't remember

not only did I permasnack all day long, I threw away all meal times. I feel lousy today. today is a new day

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:56 pm

4/7/08

I go through these crazy extremes. I eat like a pig and the next day want to run to weightwatchers. I have to embrace nos and do it for life. And I have not done that yet. But I still have faith in myself, even after 1,000 failures it seems by now. Well it is Monday, conveniently. My goal, a week. So I will start again. 1,001th attempt. I suppose there is only shame in giving up, and as battered as I am, I am far from giving up on myself. My goals for today

-3 plates, I don't even care at what time, I am on vacation, so the time can vary, as long as I stick to three and avoid permasnacking, I am quite stuffed from yesterdays orgy, so I refuse to put pressure on myself beyond this

-walk the dog in the evening, if I feel up to it

-no alcohol, absolute

I will post at the end of the day, to report progress to myself

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:28 pm

Ok, I think I overate, but I am here to celebrate small victories. I didn't drink, and I want to continue because drinking has not served me well. I overeat and feel bad the next day. So continue no drinking, try nos tomorrow and a walk.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:29 pm

Just poppin' in on the library computer to say "hi". Hope all is well with you! :D

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:46 pm

Thanks Jan, you are still in my prayers. Hope all is well with you. I am plodding along. Almost have this day under my belt. I have one meal left today, dinner. Plan to walk the dog. I will post my meals after I have dinner. Feeling some hunger, but nothing I can't deal with until meal time.

Wednesday 4/9/08

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:34 am

Wednesday 4/9/08

Ok, I made it through the day, I followed all the rules except for soup, but left some room on the plate for that. I was feeling the hunger by dinner, but realized that it took less than usual to fill me up. I think I want to call it a success. Although I still have the nos "training wheels" on, not sure if I ate just enough, too much, or maintenance level. I guess time will tell.

B=2 eggs over medium, 2 strips bacon, breakfast potatoes, 1 english muffin, 1 pat butter, ketchup (one plate), 1 mug coffee with a little whole milk

L=Thai food, 1 cup wonton soup, shrimp fried rice, lo mein with vegetables, a little white rice, orange chicken (one plate), made room for soup on plate

D=Diner: white fish, 1/2 baked potato with margarine and sour cream, carrots, cup of split pea soup (one plate) didn't eat everything (it was a lot of food)

no alcohol
walked the dog

success! I hope.

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:35 am

P.S. the fish had tartar sauce on it. want to be accurate for future reference.

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:21 pm

Friday 4/11/08

B= pastry

I am not calling it a failure, it was one, small, and it has no right to dictate a day of binging for me. I will count it is breakfast and wait for lunch. Moving on.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:50 pm

milczar wrote:Friday 4/11/08
I am not calling it a failure, it was one, small, and it has no right to dictate a day of binging for me. I will count it is breakfast and wait for lunch. Moving on.
Smart woman! Good luck with the rest of today, with forgiving and moving on. (Skills which take continuous practice...)

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:05 am

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

B= 3/4 of a submarine sandwich

L=cheeseburger, salad, potato chips (school cafeteria lunch)

S=2 small pieces candy (oh well)

D=a plate of pizza, grapefruit juice

no walk
no alcohol

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:47 pm

B= none

L=farmer boys restaurant: California blt sandwich, 3 large zuccini strips, ranch, ice tea, ketchup

D=tba

walk
no alcohol

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:14 am

Glad to see you here, Milczar! Hope you're doing well. :)

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Struggling, but not giving up. I need to start walking again and cut out the junk food.

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Saturday, April 26, 2008

1 big bowl cream of tomato soup with noodles, homemade

1 big bowl cream of tomato soup with noodles, homemade

one slice microwave pizza with extra cheese

1/2 ham and cheese sandwich w/mayo, lettuce, tomato, mustard

one large chocolate chip cookie

pot roast, a small piece of fried chicken breast, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, a few bites of salad with italian dressing, iced tea no sugar

italian strawberry ice and several spoons vanilla ice cream from friend

one taco with hot sauce

one bean and cheese burrito with hot sauce

few bites of a taco burger with hot sauce

4 or 5 vegetable pot stickers with ketchup

a few glasses orange juice diluted with water

I think that is it

ugly S day, I walked a lot because we went to Disneyland, but it was still too much food

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:12 pm

Sunday, April 27, 2008

I know was an ugly S day. And I am so full this morning that I woke up at 9:00 and I don't even want to look at breakfast. No sense stuffing myself. The truth is I have not committed myself full to the nos rules. I could have made yesterday more like a nos day with one sweet treat, instead of eating all day long like at some roman food fest. I am two months away from my divorce so I know that some of this is stress eating. This morning I was so mad at myself I went through the usual mental battles: If I do weight watchers I will lose the weight or I can just give up this battle and be fat. The truth is neither is appealing. And I know weight watchers works, but then I can't go to my mom's for dinner because I wouldn't know the exact points in the dinner. I swear my thought patterns are what cause my failure. I need to just trust nos and commit to it fully. I have never committed to nos fully for more than a few days at a time. I owe that to myself at least before I jump into deprivation land again. And deprivation land just isn't easy to jump into these days. I want to be at a healthy weight, but I don't want to suffer daily to get there.

So here it goes, again,

This morning 268.5

B=changed my mind, may have something after all

L=tba

D=tba

walk tba

one last honest effort

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:36 pm

An S day is perfect by definition. You can't mess it up.

Give yourself some slack. If you're doing okay on N days, let S days BE S days. You need a safety valve.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm

NoelFigart wrote:An S day is perfect by definition. You can't mess it up.

Give yourself some slack. If you're doing okay on N days, let S days BE S days. You need a safety valve.
What Noel said. (I could save SO much time on this board if I made a keyboard shortcut for that sentence.)

Stress-eating is hard to fight, especially in ways that make you more stressed. If I could make a suggestion, it would be to make every meal as wonderful, festive, and delicious as time/budget allow. And to find non-food ways to be kind to yourself.

Right now, you need slack, you need safety valves, you need kindness. And you CAN give them to yourself. Give yourself permission. :)

Best wishes.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:48 pm

milczar wrote:And I know weight watchers works,
but then I can't go to my mom's for dinner
because I wouldn't know the exact points in the dinner.
I swear my thought patterns are what cause my failure.
I need to just trust no s and commit to it fully.
I have never committed to no s fully for more than a few days at a time.

one last honest effort
milczar,

I am a glutton.
Although I'm only 5'0",
I have weighed more than you do now.
So, please take this in the spirit it's given.

In my past I've joined WW more than 12 times,
but I never lasted past 12 consecutive weeks any of those times.
The last couple of times I joined, I paid for 6 months membership in advance,
thinking that might make me follow through....but it didn't.
In my lifetime I've been on almost every diet or diet program in existence.

If WW worked for you, you would be there...as would I.
Or...you would add WW to No S and do them together.
There's no reason why one couldn't put oneself inside the boundaries of both plans at the same time.
The problem is inside us...not in any particular diet plan.
All diets work, if we stick to them.
We just find some diets to be more user-friendly than others,

There's just no way around the necessity for patient, consistent, one-day-at-a-time effort.
whatever the plan.

I hate that fact....perhaps even more than you do.

Every day is a new day.
You can be successful in your efforts.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:34 pm

Hey there!

Just hang in, and don't give up. You are still in my prayers.

Jan

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun May 04, 2008 7:28 pm

Thank you everyone. My ex moved out yesterday, so I have been walking around the empty house in a daze half sad half relieved. Dealing with some heartburn, maybe need to eat a different diet.

B=2 chicken breakfast links, 2 slices of buttered whole wheat bread, one egg over medium, 1/2 orange, 2 large strawberries

L=tba

D= tba

walk tba
no alcohol

this morning: 265

Yes, as I said ww works, but it sure made me neurotic.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun May 04, 2008 11:44 pm

Milczar, I am sorry that life has been so hard for you lately. Divorce comes in a lot of variants, but "painless" is generally not one of them.

I hope that this particular transition - hard as it is - marks a turning point for the better for you.

Thinking of you.

(And WW made me nuts - SO much counting, and internal bargaining! But it did work...)

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon May 05, 2008 3:34 am

I have been waging the ww vs. nos battle for some time now. I owe it to myself to give nos one more honest shot before I go back to ww. When I am on ww, I keep thinking "I can't do this forever" and "When will this be over and I can live again". I know ww is a short term solution for me. It takes so much dedication that your life revolves around your diet. And me being obsessive to begin with, I was always wondering if I had accurately counted. I have made some positive changes so far even though today was Sunday and an S day.

B=3 sausage chicken links, 2 slices bread with butter, 1/2 and orange, strawberries, one plate didn't finish it all

L=Several slices of mozzerella cheese (my weakness), couple of glasses OJ

D=Big plate of spaghetti w/ cheese

tasted a few noodles while cooking

one small slice of carrot cake

3/4 of a big chocolate chip cookie

I think that was it

walked the dog
no alcohol all weekend (last alcohol Thursday 5/1 one glass)

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon May 05, 2008 6:45 pm

The lesson I learned:

1) Monday morning I skipped breakfast because I thought that I ate too much on Sunday. Now I am dying for lunch. Note to self: eat meals even when not hungry.

B=none
L=tba
D=tba

walk dog
no alcohol

May 5, 2008

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri May 09, 2008 2:52 am

Ok, I seriously have to kick the junk. Which I would need to do whether or not I have a weight problem. Homemade food is so good and healthy.

I am still struggling to get on track after the divorce. I can focus on me now and not on pulling a dead albatross behind me. The fish smell was getting to me. There are days where I don't think I will get there. But I know I am not a failure if I fall down 1000 times and get up 1001 times. I know a mountain will be moved one rock at a time. I just have to start moving the rock.

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:49 pm

I feel sad today. Really sad and tired of struggling with eating, weight, and food. I wish I could be normal.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:06 am

milczar

you do sound kind of blue, hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

this whole food thing, weight thing, can be alternately daunting, overwhelming, and crushing ...

i am sorry you are struggling right now

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:29 am

thanks blue I liked that

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:11 am

Milczar, I've been wondering how you were. I'm truly glad to see you here. Please stick around.

Sad days are hard. Sometimes it's difficult to know whether to move on past the sadness with action, or whether it needs to be experienced fully first.

I wish the best for you.

KCCC

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:36 am

June 17

B= none

L=3 slices pizza, ice tea

D=bbq chicken and ribs, corn, 1/2 baked potato with butter and sourcream, cup of chicken noodle soup, ice tea

no walk

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:38 am

June 18

B=a small spinach, feta cheese, tomato omlete, potatoes, ketchup, coffee, one slice toast with butter

L=cheeseburger and fries and ice tea

D=tba

no walk
no alcohol

la: 6-15-08

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:50 am

Glad to see you, Milczar!

Your breakfast sounds yummy.

joasia

Post by joasia » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement KCCC, I am still here and still struggling, one of these days I may just get it right.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:06 am

Hi, Milczar! Still around? I've been away, traveling - just catching up.

Hope you're doing well.

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:45 am

Thanks KCCC, I am glad you are keeping in touch. I am struggling, but I don't think I will ever give up. How is your progress going?

Tomorrow is another day, God willing, another day to try to make success happen. I feel that a large part of my life, if not most of it, is on hold because of my weight and health issues. Part of me wants to do something drastic and part of me knows that is not the way to go. I have to give nos one last stab before I dive back into weight watcher hell.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:00 pm

milczar wrote: I feel that a large part of my life, if not most of it, is on hold because of my weight and health issues.
Milczar,

If your weight was where you wanted it to be, what would you do that you aren't now?

Blueskighs or OrganicGirl (can't recall) had a wonderful quote about "eating three meals on NoS and living in-between." My own experience has been that when I have something else that gives me joy or a feeling of success, the weight stuff gets easier.

A cure for procrastination that I've tried (and liked) is to pick something that you'd like to do that's not mission-critical to your life - but of interest - and do it for 15 minutes a day... no matter how badly. The purpose is to develop trust in small, ongoing efforts, and to see that skills build with practice. (I chose knitting. Other suggestions were music, languages, etc.)

I really recommend finding one thing you enjoy to work on daily.

Best wishes.

joasia

Post by joasia » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:59 pm

you are correct of course. I have missed friends' weddings and seeing people I have not in a long time. I have put off physical activities that would make me uncomfortable. The list is long. However, I am really beginning to see that nos is the only way. No matter how quick and glamorous weight watchers is, I have never been able to stick with it for more than a few weeks at a time. I stuck with it for a year once, it was so painful, I was always hungry and obsessed. I know it is not the right solution for me. I guess some irrational part of me thinks that the only way to lose weight is with extreme measures. WW has really wrecked havoc on my weight and more importantly psychological well being. WW has taught me to be abnormal. Thank you for your words, I have not given up. My greatest accomplishment would be to overcome my unhealthy relationship with food and just be normal again.

Anyway:

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:19 am

milczar,

what I keep hearing is that you REALLY want this to work for you. Your perseverance is what is going to bring you success.

I was talking with my husband this week and we were talking about the changes I have been going through on No S and I told him that I was so glad I had read the book and been really strict from the beginning because as Reinhard says, it makes it so much easier down the road ...

the reason why I did that was I was DESPERATE. I mean DESPARATE. I probably couldn't explain to you how REALLY DESPARATE I was to make this work for me.

maybe you could "find" the part of yourself that is that desparate and let it help you MAKE THIS WORK FOR YOU.

with you in heart and spirit,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:44 pm

Milczar...

Like so many people in this world, you need to learn to be gentle with yourself. "Extreme measures" are harsh.

Will you take an "assignment" from me? It's this: Do something very nice for yourself this week. Something that makes you happy, with NO GUILT.

You might appeal to "other senses" than taste... What do you like to smell, touch, hear, look at? Buy a scented candle or lotion and USE it, go to a crafts store and look at all the creative toys (and maybe get some to play with), go to an art show, a musical, a park... you get the idea.

One this week. Your mission, should you decide to accept it... :)

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Ok, you are correct, I will accept. I will go get a massage. That is my goal for this week. And thank you blueskighs for the support, my support is with you as well, believe me I know how very badly you wanted it to work, I have been there. Part of me thinks this way(of eating works really well for men like Reinhard, who have more muscle mass (being male). Also, Reinhard tends to eat really healthy. But I know all of those things are excuses. I have to find it in me to not waiver from this and persevere. Thanks again for everything, your support is really helpful, how are both of you doing on your journey?

B=2 nectarines, one slice wheat toast with 2 oz. avocado

L=one soup bowl of pasta with broccoli, garlic, olive oil (homemade)

It is 2:19, I am feeling hungry, probably ate too little, but I am holding out for dinner

no alcohol
walking dog in the evening

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:25 am

ITA that No S works better for people who are younger, male, exercise more, etc.... all diets do, alas. And it IS unfair how easily guys can lose. My own husband decided to "cut back a bit" lately, and lost 15 lbs in no time at all! (I love him anyway, but really...!)

That does NOT mean it won't work. It just means there is less "wiggle room."

My journey thus far...
I went through a phase with wild S days and "good" N days, and was stable.
Then I "backslid" on N days, and actually gained. :(
Then I cleaned up my act on N-days, and went back to maintaining... and very, very gradually losing what I'd gained.
Now I'm going better on S-days (but am still cautious) and think I'm losing... but I've also given up weighing, so don't really know. Clothes fit okay, so I'm not going to worry about it. :)

Good luck on your journey!!! And enjoy that massage! :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:22 am

How are you, Milczar? Hope you had a great massage! :)

joasia

Post by joasia » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:58 pm

Thanks KCCC, you were correct, the massage was wonderful. I think I am going to go again! Maintaining is always better than gaining. I am glad to hear you are back on track. It is easy to go crazy on S days. You are correct, women lose slowly, that is life. I hope you had a great weekend.

joanna

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:10 pm

Hurray! I'm so glad you went for that massage! :)

What treat are you planning for THIS week?

(I'm just going to keep giving this assignment! :) )

I'm going to visit the yarn store, and perhaps buy something gorgeous to knit with. :)

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:20 pm

Ok, you are correct. I think for this week I will buy some new curtains for the bedroom.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:44 am

:)

Enjoy them!

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

B= none

L=leftover Italian restaurant food: one plate, fettucine alfredo, small piece of lamb, broccoli, jumbo shrimp, 3 grapes

D=tba

Walk = tba

no alc.

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:14 pm

8/16/08

B= 2 potato pancakes with ketchup two grapes

la: 8/14/08

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm

8/22/08 Friday

B=cup of lentil soup homemade, 2 slices whole wheat bread with butter, avocado, tomato, and cheese, half a grapefruit

L= hot dog, cheese curds, root beer

D= Mexican Restaurant: some shrimp cocktail, some chips and salsa, some burrito, some salad, some dessert, ice tea

long walk
na

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:48 pm

8/23/08 Saturday

B= 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 slices whole wheat bread with butter, coffee with soy milk

L/D: tba

walk tba

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:10 pm

Milczar, it's nice to see you! How have you been? :)

joasia

Post by joasia » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 am

Been gone some time. I have maintained around 260. But I am not nosing. Gonna start again.

Tuesday 4/14/2009

B= bagel w/ cream cheese
coffee black

L= 1 can progresso minestrone
3/4 of a turkey and cheese sub

D=El Pollo Loco BRC burrito, salsa, 3/4 chicken breast, oj, 1/4 piece bread

no walk

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:20 am

Good luck Milczar :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness