Body AND Mind

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

peetie

Body AND Mind

Post by peetie » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:15 pm

The thing that is singing to me on this plan is that you use both your body AND your mind. I have tried, and failed repeatedly on plans that tell you to listen to your body and eat anything "it" wants at anytime. Well, for people who have been on and off the diet bandwagon for decades such as myself, we kind of lose touch with "real hunger".

I also think we get used to eating all the time and too much, just because we give ourselves permission.

The three meals a day gives enough restriction so that my mind can tell my body, whoa, stop!!! And yet my body gets to eat whatever I chose at each meal in enough quantity to get me to the next meal.

The week-end liberty of sugar is helpful too, but I am finding, for me, I need to still stick to the three meal a day plan and add my sweets at the meal or I end up grazing all day.

Thanks for all your wisdom and insight and experience, everybody. This is a really great site!

peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:02 pm

Welcome Peetie!!!
Amen to whatcha said!
I totally agree.
I will add to your Body and Mind, comment and say that this plan really makes eating into a Consciousness/Awareness exercise...
No falling asleep and going on auto pilot allowed! That's not in respect to the good "unconscious" habits we form, just the bad ones...
The good ones do eventually become more habituated... but I still think they are functioning on a level of conscious awareness that the bad habits aren't... People can fall into slumps and ruts and have it go on and on in many ways... I feel when that is happening to a person, it's because they are awake, but not really living "Mindfully"... They are ignoring their pains and aches, or their increasing waistline, then they get more bummed out and turn more and more into walking zombies... I thank God for Reinhard's site every day, and every meal I eat, because it brought me back from "The Dead"...
I'll say it again:
Reinhard is the greatest!!!!!!!!!!
When we practice conscious use of rules, we are practicing Mindfulness... We are engaged, challenged and alert when we utilize these rules, and that brings a special satisfaction which I believe directly impacts our sense of self esteem, happiness and doesn't squander our Will but bolsters it magnificently!!!
Yay NoS and all the Nossers around the World!!!!!
Good luck!
Peace,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:06 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Deb. I'm with you on the whole mindfulness thing. Infact, I've read several books on Buddhist philosophy just because I need to really be more focused and aware and less scattered.

I can see the focus and awareness on our eating could translate very easily into the rest of our lives. Plus...there's more time to be mindful about nonfood things just because we aren't busy grazing all day!

peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:54 pm

Very cool Peetie!
I gravitate mostly to Buddhist/Daoist tenets because they really make you appreciate the Life you have, and link us to nature and the universe, and that just resonates with me... Plus, who can argue with trying to be mindful and compassionate.. All good stuff...
My recently begun Yoga practice really cultivates mindful being...

PS... That's a cute spelling there of your name... I'm guessing you are female, but if I'm wrong you can let me know...
My boyfriends name is Petey! LOL...
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:57 pm

Oh, my calm and centered, Deb! I am, indeed a female, and Peetie is a nickname my daughter gave me. The full name being Sweetie Peetie, but the nickname for my nickname is Peetie.

Love your philosophies!

peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:28 pm

That sure beats something like "Smelly Nelly" or something! LOL... :wink:
I have a nine year old son, Richard, who is the groups youngest Nosser, and he is always coming up with priceless stuff!
Have a great day!
8) Peace,
Deb

margaret

Post by margaret » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:30 pm

I, too, have found using MY mind, instead of the the so-called expertise of the latest diet doctor (whose patients only have great success when they purchase his vitamins, snake oil, whatever.) to be very reassuring. If the diet is not intrinsic it won't truly be ours and we'll never be able to truly intergrate it into our lives. We'll be living on Dr. X's diet or not, never truly mistresses of our own lives. Reinhard's simple plan gives us freedom to change our thinking and habits.
Last edited by margaret on Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"E're she looked for the good, e're she found it.
Annie May Quigg 1891-1996

margaret

Post by margaret » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:31 pm

deb wrote:I thank God for Reinhard's site every day, and every meal I eat, because it brought me back from "The Dead"...
Deb
[/quote]
Deb, I thought you loved the Dead. :lol:
"E're she looked for the good, e're she found it.
Annie May Quigg 1891-1996

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:23 pm

I do!!!!!
Too bad the gym I work at doesn't play any in the cardio area...then I'd be set up!!!!

Hope you're fandabbydohzie today!
Grateful Deb!
Peace!!!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:58 pm

Deb:

It is so funny what will get us going music wise. I am addicted to a channel 42 on XM called Fred. It plays all alternative 80's music. I was rocking out to the Sex Pistols yeterday trying to reclaim my lost youth. :lol:

BTW...since my birthday is coming up in the next few months I have been debating whether or not to get an IPod or a portable XM. Does anyone have an idea which is better?

Dru